Wifi and mobile sim connected at same time?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
Forum Member
I have a samesung tablet and just been experimenting with it using my mobile sim card.
I disconnected my home wifi then connected using the sim card.
This worked well and so turned the wifi modem back on and this connected as usual.
What im not sure of is whether the mobile connection turns itself off whenever the wifi is connected.
I dont want to accidently be connected to the mobile network when its not needed.
Thanks in advance

Comments

• Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    Generally the device should use wifi by default. However, just remember that some apps allow you to select how they update (often a choice of wifi or 3G) so you can disable any attempt to download large updates by 3G (for example the Daily Mail app has this facility as it downloads a lot of data so you can ensure it only does it when on wifi).

However, if you leave your device on and your broadband connection drops out (I often find it can go down for periods overnight) and your device wants to update something, if wifi isn't available but 3G is, the device may well use the 3G connection.

Personally Tweetdeck is the only app I let auto refresh, I don't allow any other apps to download data unless I tell it to (I also turn off auto updates for apps in Google Play)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,565
    Forum Member
    Generally the device should use wifi by default. However, just remember that some apps allow you to select how they update (often a choice of wifi or 3G) so you can disable any attempt to download large updates by 3G (for example the Daily Mail app has this facility as it downloads a lot of data so you can ensure it only does it when on wifi).

However, if you leave your device on and your broadband connection drops out (I often find it can go down for periods overnight) and your device wants to update something, if wifi isn't available but 3G is, the device may well use the 3G connection.

Personally Tweetdeck is the only app I let auto refresh, I don't allow any other apps to download data unless I tell it to (I also turn off auto updates for apps in Google Play)

Thanks Rodney