The Future of PS3/Vita

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
So with the PS4 due next month, I am wondering about a few things right now...

If I increase my subscription on the PS3 to Jan 2015, (currently subbed up until Sept 2014!), will Sony have to continue offering content for PS3 subscribers?! Otherwise it's kind of a waste of money right?

Surely PSN will remain on the PS3 for many years to come? Or is it likely they'll stop supporting it in 2014/2015?

I presume with the PS4 fully supporting the Vita, that the Vita still has a bright future ahead of it in terms of games?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »
    So with the PS4 due next month, I am wondering about a few things right now...

If I increase my subscription on the PS3 to Jan 2015, (currently subbed up until Sept 2014!), will Sony have to continue offering content for PS3 subscribers?! Otherwise it's kind of a waste of money right?

Surely PSN will remain on the PS3 for many years to come? Or is it likely they'll stop supporting it in 2014/2015?

I presume with the PS4 fully supporting the Vita, that the Vita still has a bright future ahead of it in terms of games?

PS3/Xbox will be supported for a lot longer than any of the previous gen systems so in those terms you will be ok.

The only thing to consider is that as as time progresses game devs will be putting less content into the old gen and increase content to next gen which will mean that you may get less good games on the PS+ subscription for PS3 users but more content on VITA and PS4.

I would say that anything after 18/24 months of next gen release you will see a dramatic decrease in quality of the games for PS3 / Xbox (PS+ & Xbox Gold)
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sony have a good track record for supporting their old console once the new system is out. But I would still expect the same path of decreased support for major titles and those shifting exclusively to PS4/Xbox 1 possible this time next year, if not the year after.

I would guess PSN for PS3 will be supported for a while to come, MS who quickly dropped support for Xbox 1 still continued to support LIVE on the console for many years later.

I think PS+ will depend on what the service evolves into in the years to come. If the current format continues I can see another PS3 game been replaced with a PS4 game in 12-18months time. But if they evolve the service into a tier system they might actually have a PS3 tier which could provide more games. I imagine a PS3 with PS+ subscription would go down quite well with the type of person who are buying a PS3 now or in the years to come.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks - is it worth increasing my sub then from Sept 2014 to end of 2014? Feels like I'm taking a risk really.
  • HotbirdHotbird Posts: 10,009
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks - is it worth increasing my sub then from Sept 2014 to end of 2014? Feels like I'm taking a risk really.

I wouldn't be rushing to increase my subscription unless a great offer appeared or I was close to running out.
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I need to start using my Vita. Bought it 3 months ago and have only ever played through Uncharted and started Sly 4 but didn't like it.

Any suggestions?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 565
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I need to start using my Vita. Bought it 3 months ago and have only ever played through Uncharted and started Sly 4 but didn't like it.

Any suggestions?

Just recevied my VITA back from Sony after the internal battery stopped wanting to charge despite not actually using it a great deal, hopefully the PS4 will give me a reason to use it more.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,848
    Forum Member

Any suggestions?

Killzone Mercenary
  • NedubizNedubiz Posts: 2,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you are a plus subscriber I am surprised you have not found anything worthwhile to play on the Vita - there has been some strong titles for the system available through the service.

In terms of the future for the systems - the PS3 should keep going for a fair while. I am really looking forward to getting my PS4 in 5 weeks (soo close!!) but my most anticipated game is the new Ratchet title. Dark Souls 2 looks great too (looking forward to beta on Sunday).
    I am more concerned for the Vita really. The remote play function for PS4 could be great but there is a risk that it will end up being little more than a peripheral and indie machine. I love indie games (spelunky is awesome) but I would like to see more Tearaway style Vita specific games being announced. There is nothing beyond Tearaway on the horizon.
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nedubiz wrote: »
    If you are a plus subscriber I am surprised you have not found anything worthwhile to play on the Vita - there has been some strong titles for the system available through the service.

In terms of the future for the systems - the PS3 should keep going for a fair while. I am really looking forward to getting my PS4 in 5 weeks (soo close!!) but my most anticipated game is the new Ratchet title. Dark Souls 2 looks great too (looking forward to beta on Sunday).
    I am more concerned for the Vita really. The remote play function for PS4 could be great but there is a risk that it will end up being little more than a peripheral and indie machine. I love indie games (spelunky is awesome) but I would like to see more Tearaway style Vita specific games being announced. There is nothing beyond Tearaway on the horizon.

Nothing announced except Borderlands 2.

I've been playing Batman on the vita. Its pretty good. Although I do get the feeling that this is a 3ds game in that the right stick hasn't been used once so far! Shame as the vita probably could pull of at least an Arkham Asylum type game quite easily.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 187
    Forum Member

Any suggestions?

Lumines is a great starting point. Amazing game.
  • NorfolkBoy1NorfolkBoy1 Posts: 4,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rayman Origins/Legends - Origins is one of the best lookign games on the Vita and was a launch-title, I can only assume Legends is even better!
  • jokerzjokerz Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rayman Origins/Legends - Origins is one of the best lookign games on the Vita and was a launch-title, I can only assume Legends is even better!

Legends looks brilliant and plays really well. Touch screen is a huge help for some of the levels
  • jcafcwjcafcw Posts: 11,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Any suggestions?

Gravity Rush - which you can still get free if you are a PS+ subscriber.

Persona 4 Golden.

Little Big Planet Vita.

Zero Escape