Boiler breakdown cover with annual service

maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
Forum Member
I'm looking for a company who will cover my boiler for breakdowns and also give me an annual service.

I suspect my boiler is around or over 15 years old - ideally I'd like a service a few days after I sign up and be able to pay the premium monthly or quarterly.

Grittish Bass sound rather expensive at £15 a month, I'm looking for somewhere around £8-9 really.

Can you recommend anyone?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12
    Forum Member
    Hi, I would take up their offer. If you read the T&C's a lot of companies will not insure you if the boiler is over 15 yrs old. Also a service alone would cost £50+
  • That BlokeThat Bloke Posts: 6,352
    Forum Member
    maccy wrote:
    I'm looking for a company who will cover my boiler for breakdowns and also give me an annual service.

I suspect my boiler is around or over 15 years old - ideally I'd like a service a few days after I sign up and be able to pay the premium monthly or quarterly.

Grittish Bass sound rather expensive at £15 a month, I'm looking for somewhere around £8-9 really.

Can you recommend anyone?
    You may be better off looking at two different companies as, whatever the Confessions Of... series said, it's unlikely you will find one that does both :D:p. OK, I know my sense of humour is infantile :o .

Seriously though, I know quite a few people who have said the British Gas option is actually quite good, and they don't try and get out of doing anything when you call them. Obviously, others may have had different experiences though.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cant fault British Gas with their service cover, they've always come out the following day (sometimes they've offered the same day, but it too short notice to get time off work).

When they come its been fixed there and then, once they guy didn't have the part but he called someone and another van arrived in 30mins.

Also the cost drops after a few years if you dont call them out.

My mates got a deal through powergen i think, its a bit cheaper but when he had to call them out he had to wait 2 days for them to get a part.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 210
    Forum Member
    I have just left British Gas 3 Star cover (or whatever it is called now) as for some reason they saw fit to increase the cost from £14.66 per month to £16.99. I know it's not a massive amount but percentage wise it's way above what you would expect. And that was with a no call out discount. If they had only mentioned a reason why in the letter I would have stayed with them but it felt as if they were trying to apply the increase without me noticing so they lost a customer of 10 years.

I am now with Homeserve through Anglian Water. By the time you add the annual service cost they are only a few pence cheaper but it made me feel better to take my business away from a big company that were, in my opnion, trying to rip me off.

The only other big company I know that offer it is Direct Line although I am not sure if they do boiler cover on its own.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dont BG come and and check your boiler first before they accept you on their service agreement. I know after xx amount of years they will say your boiler needs updating etc..
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    leigho wrote:
    The only other big company I know that offer it is Direct Line although I am not sure if they do boiler cover on its own.

Currently with them but they're beginning to moan at it being roughly 15 years old....plus they don't give me an annual service.

I'd really rather avoid Grittish for now, I know I will need a new boiler within a few years but it works - once serviced - and I can't afford a new one at present. Every time Grittish visited my parents they'd tell them they needed a new one.

Homeserve is a possibility, what's the cost with their additional annual service option? They only give a price for the breakdown cover on their website.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,030
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BG are okay, you just need to handle them right. I've been with them on a 3 star contract for about 15 years, and I certainly have had my money's worth out of them for most of those years as I doubt there's anything original left in my boiler, except for the casing. They did get a bit snitty about it last year, and said it was a write off, and I would need to spend £2750 with them to have a new one put in, but I wasn't convinced, so got them to come back and give me a second opinion, with my dad there for backup, and suddenly they found that they could fix it, and I wouldn't need it replaced quite yet. They sent a smarmy salesman and an engineer, but smarmy salesmen are no match for the old man.

Of course, I will need to replace the boiler soon, it seriously is on its last legs, but I won't be having BG to do that, their prices for new boiler installation are ridiculous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 49
    Forum Member
    my boiler is over 15 years and I was accept by Powergen with no problems. I have been with them a year now and for 14.99 a month, I get the boiler serviced once a year and breakdowns. I had two breakdowns last year. They came out and fixed it. No problems.
  • maccymaccy Posts: 6,909
    Forum Member
    my boiler is over 15 years and I was accept by Powergen with no problems. I have been with them a year now and for 14.99 a month, I get the boiler serviced once a year and breakdowns. I had two breakdowns last year. They came out and fixed it. No problems.

Just got....

"Sorry, presently we do not cover conventional boilers over the age of 15 under our HeatCover policy."

When asking for a quote at their website :(