A question about lcd tv screen image resolution etc

scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Ok...

I was at work (care work) and a client has a BIG newish samsung TV. We were watching Band of Brothers on Blue ray.

When the camera did a close up of a character and they were nodding their head as they were talking in agreement with another character; the top part of their head (the part with the worry lines) would stay still but the rest of the head would move. Instead of moving with the whole head. It was also similar in places with the eyes - a gentle small head movement side to side the eyes would stay still but the head would move. It just made the proportions of the characters faces look rather strange.

in short - parts of the persons head would move and parts would stay still if a character was making small gentle movements with their head. however in reality everything should move - making the picture/character look peculiar.

Is this an output resolution problem between 2 devices or just a thing with LCD screen drag etc?
The problem is also visible when using the sky box.

The tv is set at 1080 and everything is connected with hdmi leads.

Comments

• David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That should not happen. Motion lag is no longer the problem that it used to be, at least among the mainstream makers - of which Samsung is one. Even when it was, it affected things like tennis serves and rocket shots in football, not people nodding their heads. It sounds like the picture is breaking up. Does it happen when watching ordinary broadcast TV? If it doesn't, I would suspect a faulty bluray disc.
  • David WaineDavid Waine Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sorry, just noticed the mention of the Sky box. It could be a signal problem, in which case you should get the dish alignment and the cables checked. If they are all right, I would suspect a fault in the TV.
  • iangradiangrad Posts: 813
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have seen this before and it only seems to happen on the lower price models in different manufacturers ranges , its just lack of processing power within the TV . Unfortunately short of changing the TV to a better model there is not much you can do about it .
  • emptyboxemptybox Posts: 13,917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Blu-rays can show juddery motion, especially on panning or scrolling shots, if the TV is not capable of displaying 24 fps properly (look for 24P in the specs).

But all Full HD TVs (HD Ready 1080P) TVs are also 24P, so this would only affect HD Ready TVs, and wouldn't affect Sky broadcasts anyway.
    And anyway, most Blu-ray players would turn that feature off if the TV's not compatible with it.
  • PsychoTherapistPsychoTherapist Posts: 2,688
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Go into your picture settings on the TV and ensure all the "advanced" processing features are turned off. The key culprit here is usually noise reduction, definitely leave that either off or on a very low setting (preferably off).
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen effects like parts of a picture are static while other parts move on Freeview channels before. Most often those with the lowest bitrates. I put it down to artefacts of the MPEG encoding process?

Though you wouldn't expect the same from a Blu-Ray. Or was the Blu-Ray player one of those smart jobbies and it was actually streaming the video from the interweb?
  • scruffpotscruffpot Posts: 4,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/lcd-tv/LE40D503F7WXXU-spec

Is the tv .. I think I'll check this weekend when I am at work.

and I think this is the blue ray machine as well
    http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-E4500/ZA

but ill check the product numbers this weekend to make sure.
    My client has visual problems and he does not notice things but I thought I should have an ask. I presume it may just be processing power and settings.

Ill have a fiddle with it

thanks
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    http://www.samsung.com/uk/consumer/tv-audio-video/television/lcd-tv/LE40D503F7WXXU-spec

Is the tv .. I think I'll check this weekend when I am at work.

and I think this is the blue ray machine as well
    http://www.samsung.com/us/video/home-theater/HT-E4500/ZA

but ill check the product numbers this weekend to make sure.
    My client has visual problems and he does not notice things but I thought I should have an ask. I presume it may just be processing power and settings.

Ill have a fiddle with it

thanks
    That Blu-Ray system (no e in Blu-Ray by the way :)) looks like it can stream content so it might not have been playing a disk.

As I posted I've only really seen that sort of effect on low bitrate Freeview channels. Can't recall seeing it on Blu-Ray or even DVD which tend to have higher bitrates than broadcast/streaming services and better encoding of the video (or at least you'd hope they do!)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll find it out and get the numbers this weekend of what machines they actually are... EEEEEeeeeeee for blueray haha :)
    Nope we were watching a blueray as I put it in the machine, it doesn't usually have the ethernet connected as thats being used in the PS3, indeed he can use it to stream things but he prefers to buy Bluerays...
  • grahamlthompsongrahamlthompson Posts: 18,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scruffpot wrote: »
    I'll find it out and get the numbers this weekend of what machines they actually are... EEEEEeeeeeee for blueray haha :)
    Nope we were watching a blueray as I put it in the machine, it doesn't usually have the ethernet connected as thats being used in the PS3, indeed he can use it to stream things but he prefers to buy Bluerays...

No such thing

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    samsung UE46B6000 is the TV and the surround sound blueray machine is (I could not find the number of the machine)
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-HT-E4500-Channel-Blu-ray-Cinema/dp/B007Q1ITFY/ref=sr_1_4?s=home-theater&ie=UTF8&qid=1374431481&sr=1-4&keywords=samsung+HT however it is NOT the 3d version, but it is exactly the same model design and looks as this