Aerosols on a plane (hand luggage)

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I am going away with work for a couple of nights and I am only allowed to take hand luggage. There seems to be conflicting evidence about whether or not i can take aerosols in my hand luggage. God knows how i will get my clothes, toileteries and hair straighteners in such a small bag!!

Also if I am taking the hand luggage bag, does that mean I am not allowed to take a handbag on seperately?

Could anyone confirm please?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am going away with work for a couple of nights and I am only allowed to take hand luggage. There seems to be conflicting evidence about whether or not i can take aerosols in my hand luggage. God knows how i will get my clothes, toileteries and hair straighteners in such a small bag!!

Also if I am taking the hand luggage bag, does that mean I am not allowed to take a handbag on seperately?

Could anyone confirm please?

I wouldn't take large aerosols (like deodorants) in hand luggage, although if you Google the airline's website you should be able to find what they allow. I think they wouldn't allow the aerosols that have a propellant in them. Buy travel-sized items, toothpaste, deodorant etc.

You can take a handbag as well as your hand luggage. There was a brief time when they used to argue about it, but they seem to be fine with it now.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Argent118 wrote: »
    You can take a handbag as well as your hand luggage.

Depends on the airline - Ryanair don't allow it, for example (or at least, you'll need to be able to fit everything in one bag when boarding).
  • AlphaKAlphaK Posts: 3,733
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Easyjet didn't allow me to take my handbag separately last year when I flew to Germany - an Easyjet rep actually saw me waiting in departures with my handbag and case and stopped to tell me I would have to put it into the case before boarding .
    Luckily I already knew this and had left just enough room for it .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
    Sorry to ask but why are you only allowed Hand Luggage ?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 421
    Forum Member
  • grumpyscotgrumpyscot Posts: 11,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Check your airline's website - it will tell you the maximum dimensions and weight of hand (or "carry-on") luggage. Airlines differ. Check with the airport's website (security section) to see exactly what you may and may not have inside your luggage.

And hand-bags are rarely allowed as extras except on non-budget scheduled flights. (e.g. BA., British Midland etc)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Irvine wrote: »
    Sorry to ask but why are you only allowed Hand Luggage ?

My boss is paying and i am only going for 2 nights so it not worth the extra 40 quid.
  • butterworthbutterworth Posts: 17,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AFAIK, Aerosols are OK, but they are counted as a liquid, so you need to make sure they are under 100ml...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 845
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    Depends on the airline - Ryanair don't allow it, for example (or at least, you'll need to be able to fit everything in one bag when boarding).

With Ryanair, you're lucky if they'll agree to take your whole body on the plane, never mind the luggage!

I only travel on scheduled flights, so am always allowed to take a handbag, but if I wasn't, I'd just stuff it in the case and take it out when I was on the plane.
  • cheesy_pastycheesy_pasty Posts: 4,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The travel sized ones are fine. The regular larger cans however don't usually get through security.
  • Little NellLittle Nell Posts: 1,115
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It really does depend on the airline. When I've travelled recently (Easyjet & Ryanair) they've been really inflexible about hand luggage - everything has to fit into one bag, including your handbag, carrier bags, laptops etc. And any liquids have to be within the limit and in a resealable plastic bag. Also, no nail scissors or anything like that.
  • QuickfadeQuickfade Posts: 5,998
    Forum Member
    Personally I wouldn't take aerosols - some airlines are really funny about it, so better to take any products in non-aerosol form just in case you get them confiscated.

What kind of hotel are you staying in? When I used to go away on business, I would only take a small bag of make up and a stick of deodorant with me because there was normally shampoo, shower gel etc. in the hotel! I was the Queen of travelling light! :)
  • RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It may be better for you to buy whatever it is you need in cans where you are going, rather than possibly have to throw them away this end. And try to leave room in your hand luggage for your bag, in case you aren't allowed two pieces.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aerosols on a plane ?

Yeah, plenty mate, and they always seem to get the seat number next to me.
  • richard craniumrichard cranium Posts: 4,388
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aerosols on a Plane ?

Not as good as Snakes On A Plane, aerosols just aren't that scary.
  • PsychosisPsychosis Posts: 18,591
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Why are people saying that it depends on the airline? It has nothing to do with your airline. All passengers go through the same security checkpoint.

You can take them, but they must be travel sized. Boots do a good selection of mini-aerosols. Alternatively you could buy one at the airport when you get there, full sized if you like, and throw it away before you come back.
  • davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Psychosis wrote: »
    Why are people saying that it depends on the airline? It has nothing to do with your airline. All passengers go through the same security checkpoint

That depends what you're talking about - the limit on the number of bags has everything to do with the airline. The restrictions on e.g. liquids are standard.
  • Unigal07Unigal07 Posts: 22,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought that aerosols weren't allowed even in your suitcase! Hence why I take roll-on deodorant and no hairspray! :(