bit part/character actors who own their scenes.

Ted CTed C Posts: 11,730
Forum Member
✭✭
I was reminded of a good example of actors who only have a small amount of screen time, but really go for it and make a lasting impression, whilst watching Michael Mann's The Insider last night.

The Insider is based on the true story of Jeffrey Wigand, a chemist working for a major tobacco company who is fired and decides to blow the whistle on the methods being used to make cigarettes more addictive, and the efforts of the 60 Minutes news team to get the truth and air the story.

This short scene with Bruce McGill is a very good example of that...it's a superb smackdown and really jolts you back into the movie.

And yes that is Wings Hauser as the smirking attorney, a staple actor of many an 80's exploitation movie -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNKmmA6_oTQ

Comments

• zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I could name dozens of character actors from the sixties or seventies, but three who stand out for me are Cyril Chamberlain, Richard Wattis and Michael Ripper. Unfortunately not many people nowadays will know who they are. :(
  • Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    I could name dozens of character actors from the sixties or seventies, but three who stand out for me are Cyril Chamberlain, Richard Wattis and Michael Ripper. Unfortunately not many people nowadays will know who they are. :(

Ah Michael Ripper, a familiar face in all those great Hammer movies. Sam Kydd was another familiar face in British movies and TV for many years.
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Brian Cox in Michael Mann's "Manhunter". His few scenes as Hannibal Lecter are much more unnerving than Anthony Hopkins' version.
    Too hear Lecter's cultured tones coming from the handsome Hopkins is far less unsettling than hearing them from the noticeably less handsome Cox.
    Shamefully, he was never even asked if he wanted to play Lecter again in SOTL.
  • zooooooooooooozooooooooooooo Posts: 2,220
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah Michael Ripper, a familiar face in all those great Hammer movies. Sam Kydd was another familiar face in British movies and TV for many years.

Yeah Sam Kydd was good. There was loads of greats, Dennis Price and George Woodbridge are another two deserving of a mention.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well, i was going to say Brian Cox, but i was beaten to it. :p
  • ironjadeironjade Posts: 10,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sam Kydd
    Reg Lye
    Ron Pember
    Ivor Dean
    George Woodbridge
    Michael Brennan
    Thomas Heathcote
    Victor Maddern
    Michael Ripper
    Michael Balfour
    Harry Fowler
    Miles Malleson
    George Pravda
    Steve Plytas
    Aubrey Morris
    George Murcell

and a whole regiment of others without whom the movie and tv would have been much less interesting.

In the interests of equality
    Esme Cannon
    Claire Davenport
    Pat Coombs
    Hilary Mason
    Fanny Carby
    Yootha Joyce
    Stella Tanner
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always thought Veronica Cartwright steals most scenes she shares with Sigourney Weaver in Alien and her performance in The Witches Of Eastwick outshines Cher/Michelle & Susan by a mile.

Joanna Cassidys 'Zhora' completely steals the show from Harrison Ford in Bladerunner too!

Michelle Pfieffer (didispellthatright?) as catwoman owned Batman Returns...

Thelma Ritter, gr8 character actress from the 50's/60's was a gr8 scene stealer - see Rear Window and The Misfits.

Phillip Seymour Hoffman as the tranny in Flawless...!:D
  • sinbad8982sinbad8982 Posts: 1,627
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shea Whigam
    Stanley Tucci
    Harry Dean Stanton
    Bruce Mcgill
    Philip Baker Hall
    Charles Durning
    Geoffrey Lewis
    Bruce Greenwood
  • CBFreakCBFreak Posts: 28,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most obvious case I can think of is Marlon Brando in Apocalypse Now. You barely saw anything of him but his charisma shone through.
  • mr mugglesmr muggles Posts: 4,601
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Catherine Keener, though not a 'bit part' player, is a second league indie actress (whom occasonally grazes the big league) who always seems to command attention.

Catherine O Hara comedy actress shines in anything.
  • 007Fusion007Fusion Posts: 3,657
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Brad Pitt as the stoner in 'True Romance'.