Rolf Lassgard Wallander

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DBC wrote: »
    It's in the Radio Times! Anyway the investigation of his murder is one of the two main plots of the episode. Without his death, you wouldn't have a story.

OK, not a spoiler, phew :D We love our Wallander
  • VerenceVerence Posts: 104,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just as a matter of interest would I be right in thinking that Svartman was a character created for the Krister Wallander and thus won't appear in the Rolf Wallander??
  • chuzhuchichechuzhuchiche Posts: 397
    Forum Member
    Just had a quick scroll through the cast and crew of the Lassgard Wallanders on IMDB and there does not seem to be a Svartmann featured in any of those.
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Just as a matter of interest would I be right in thinking that Svartman was a character created for the Krister Wallander and thus won't appear in the Rolf Wallander??

I can't remember him being in the books.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just had a quick scroll through the cast and crew of the Lassgard Wallanders on IMDB and there does not seem to be a Svartmann featured in any of those.
    I can't remember him being in the books.

That's a shame cos after Kurt, Svartman and Nyberg were my favourite characters in the Krister version
  • InkblotInkblot Posts: 26,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's an article in the Guardian today about Lassgard's portrayal of Wallander.

Link is here.
    Interesting. I agree with the comment posted below the article that whilst John Hannah was nothing like Rebus, the adaptations with Hannah were superior to the ones with Ken Stott. So there's more to an adaptation than finding a lead who looks like we imagine the character to be.

I like Henriksson but as a non-Swedish speaker I get the feeling that his performance is more mannered than Lassgård's. Krister starts a sentence, pauses, thinks about what he's going to say and then continues. Rolf just dives in and speaks his mind. Of course, the rhythms may sound different to a Swede but it's fun trying to relate the way the actors speak to what they're saying, even if you don't understand it!
  • allie4allie4 Posts: 11,994
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    OK, not a spoiler, phew :D We love our Wallander
    Did you not see the Branagh version of Firewall (1st series of the British one?) IMO Firewall and One Step Behind were the best stories, both in Manning's novels and the dramatisations.
    Looking forward to seeing them and comparing! I think I know who'll win!!! I don't understand the casting of the British version at all and agree with Lena that the Swedish versions are infinitely superior! And I'm beginning to pick up a few Swedish words!!
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The idiocy of the Branagh farce is perfectly summed up by one tiny detail: "Wallander" vs "Vallander". Even the pronunciation of the eponymous character’s name has to be bastardised to pass the Beeb’s idiot filter where they imagined sofa-bound chavs up and down the land turning to their slovenly partners and asking, "Arr come they’re callin’ Kenny Vallynder if ees name starts wiv a W?"
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    allie4 wrote: »
    Did you not see the Branagh version of Firewall (1st series of the British one?) IMO Firewall and One Step Behind were the best stories, both in Manning's novels and the dramatisations.
    Looking forward to seeing them and comparing! I think I know who'll win!!! I don't understand the casting of the British version at all and agree with Lena that the Swedish versions are infinitely superior! And I'm beginning to pick up a few Swedish words!!

Yeah I did see the UK version and loved it too.:D I'm not fussy, most detective stuff I love.
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Inkblot wrote: »
    Interesting. I agree with the comment posted below the article that whilst John Hannah was nothing like Rebus, the adaptations with Hannah were superior to the ones with Ken Stott.

For me, Hannah wasn't old enough, nor a good enough actor, and Stott was too raddled and way OTT. I was disappointed that what should have been a great series was ruined by poor casting, I couldn't watch more than a taster of each version.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My teenagers call them English Wallander, Swedish Wallander and after last night, the one we'd never seen before is Shagging Wallander.

Krister is my favourite. Apparently he only agreed to do Series 2 because he felt he hadn;t done a good enough job on Series 1. What a perfectionist!

I think all the versions are adequately shot and arty - but the Krister one has the edge there, too.

I don't think Branagh is miscast - they could probably sharpen up the writing. Nothing wrong with the production values on English Wallander.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Harrowing. wrote: »
    Yeah I did see the UK version and loved it too.:D I'm not fussy, most detective stuff I love.
    Hogzilla wrote: »
    My teenagers call them English Wallander, Swedish Wallander and after last night, the one we'd never seen before is Shagging Wallander.

Krister is my favourite. Apparently he only agreed to do Series 2 because he felt he hadn;t done a good enough job on Series 1. What a perfectionist!

I think all the versions are adequately shot and arty - but the Krister one has the edge there, too.

I don't think Branagh is miscast - they could probably sharpen up the writing. Nothing wrong with the production values on English Wallander.

At last!!!!!! I thought I was the only person who liked the Brannagh Wallander. Granted it's not as good as the Henriksson and Lassgård versions but neither is it the steaming pile of s*** that most people on the various Wallander threads treat it as
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 402
    Forum Member
    At last!!!!!! I thought I was the only person who liked the Brannagh Wallander. Granted it's not as good as the Henriksson and Lassgård versions but neither is it the steaming pile of s*** that most people on the various Wallander threads treat it as
    It's pretty good, it's just, um, different.

I find it freaky, like I'm watching a parallel universe where the English colonised Sweden, yet decided to retain their local heritage by using Swedish for names and written communication.
    Forum Member

I've posted several times on the Swedish Wallander (i.e. Henriksson) thread that I enjoyed the Branagh versions and it was watching those episodes that got me interested in watching the Swedish version(s) too. I appreciate that everyone has different tastes but I don't quite understand the level of dislike that the Branagh version and the man himself provoke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    allie4 wrote: »
    and agree with Lena that the Swedish versions are infinitely superior!

Just for the record allie4; nowhere did I say the two Swedish Wallanders were “superior” to Branagh’s just that I personally didn’t like it as much and I very much agree with what has been said that it’s all a matter of taste.

I think it could have been better though if adapted to and set in the UK. It’s like if a Swedish production team decided to do a version of Inspector Morse shot in Oxford but with Swedish actors speaking Swedish. I would most probably feel it to be rather odd and wonder if it was supposed to be a parody but it doesn’t mean it couldn’t still be interesting viewing, good acting and stand as something of its own. Interpretation of a different society to that of your own seldom turn out good since it is more based on prejudices than knowledge and therefor becomes less complex .... or it might risk coming across as somewhat of a tourist brochure:D.

Like chuzhuchiche I have also noticed and often wondered why people seem to be so provoked by Branagh and why so many, so often, feel the need to express such a dislike for him. I just dont understand it:confused:
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like chuzhuchiche I have also noticed and often wondered why people seem to be so provoked by Branagh and why so many, so often, feel the need to express such a dislike for him. I just dont understand it:confused:

Because he’s badly miscast. Because he seems to have no idea of how to represent the character except in big watery eyed close-ups. Because he seems to think he and his interpretation of Wallander is so bloody marvellous that we want more of that to the exclusion of all other characters and....er...plot. Because he and his pals actually considered repainting the police cars so they said "police" instead of "polis" demonstrating again how dumbed down they’re willing to go to present this to the British public.

But mostly because he’s Kenny B and giving him a good kicking is a national pastime!

Having said all that I’m still looking forward to Thor even if it does look like the gayest movie ever made.
  • DBCDBC Posts: 4,002
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think it could have been better though if adapted to and set in the UK. It’s like if a Swedish production team decided to do a version of Inspector Morse shot in Oxford but with Swedish actors speaking Swedish. I would most probably feel it to be rather odd and wonder if it was supposed to be a parody but it doesn’t mean it couldn’t still be interesting viewing, good acting and stand as something of its own. Interpretation of a different society to that of your own seldom turn out good since it is more based on prejudices than knowledge and therefor becomes less complex .... or it might risk coming across as somewhat of a tourist brochure:D.

[B

Nothing unusual about that. Just think of the the two British series of Maigret starring Rupert Davies and Michael Gambon. In fact George Simenon said that in his opinion Davies gave the best portrayal of Maigret, even better than the various French actors who took on the role.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Nothing unusual about that. Just think of the the two British series of Maigret starring Rupert Davies and Michael Gambon. In fact George Simenon said that in his opinion Davies gave the best portrayal of Maigret, even better than the various French actors who took on the role.

I remember a series Van der Valk, filmed in Holland with a british actor (Barry foster) in the lead role, it was in english, didn't look out of place even with the dutch landscape in the back ground. I don,t think there was a Dutch version ever made.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jono t wrote: »
    I remember a series Van der Valk, filmed in Holland with a british actor (Barry foster) in the lead role, it was in english, didn't look out of place even with the dutch landscape in the back ground. I don,t think there was a Dutch version ever made.

It also had one of the greatest theme tunes EVER!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0O-2oAvNTo
    Forum Member
    It also had one of the greatest theme tunes EVER!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0O-2oAvNTo

Ha. I saw mention of Van Der Valk and was just about to mention the theme tune when I saw you had posted it. The Simon Park Orchestra. I remember it well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ha. I saw mention of Van Der Valk and was just about to mention the theme tune when I saw you had posted it. The Simon Park Orchestra. I remember it well.

I was too young to watch the original series when it was first shown but I had seen repeats over the years. However I did watch the seven 2 hour episodes that were made in the early 90s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    A Brit actor seemingly playing a villain. :)
  • parthenaparthena Posts: 2,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    two British series of Maigret starring Rupert Davies and Michael Gambon.

Both of those productions achieved the miracle of making you think you were in France watching and listening to French people - something to do with the scripts, the intonation of the great actors. Both super.

Not so with the Branagh Wallander: all that agonised acting, supporting characters played by actors worthy only of soaps :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 168
    Forum Member

I haven't seen Maigret I’m afraid but I’m sure you’re right :).

Van Veeteren is a crime series based on the books of Swedish Håkan Nesser where the society is a fictitious one, (at least I believe so but I might be wrong). I always think of it as the Netherlands since all the names in it sounds Dutch. It causes a distraction to me with a Swedish production and Swedish actors speaking Swedish yet they all have Dutch names but apart from that I find the acting superb (Sven Wollter in the lead as Van Veeteren is one of my favourite Swedish actors). However; I prefer Wallander.

Kenneth Branaghs Wallander, I believe, has been nominated and awarded for his performance as well as the production so it can’t be bad but then when personal taste comes into it you simply prefer and value different things.