Has the internet ruined the movie experience?

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
Forum Member
Firstly let me say I am a big fan of the internet but of late I'm beginning to wonder if it's now a case of information overload when it comes to movies. For me the mystery and magic of looking forward to a new film has been replaced by endless trailers, reveals, behind the scenes, spoiler filled reviews etc.

You only need to watch the latest trailers for Iron Man 3, Oblivion, Carrie etc to see pretty much the entire story laid out in chronological order. I have now made a promise to myself to only watch the teaser trailers for films I am interested in and leave it at that.

I don't understand the need for so much information on new movies, there are articles almost every week about the new Star Trek or Iron Man. Why not just wait to see the ACTUAL film and enjoy some of the twists and surprises, surely that's part of the fun?

I know people will say if you don't want to know then just avoid sites like DS, but I am interested in general movie news but just not to the level it seems to have reached.

Comments

• Ancient IDTVAncient IDTV Posts: 10,120
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't need the internet to spoil it. If you're a regular cinemagoer you'll probably see all these trailers before the films start, anyway.

Myself, I hardly ever go to the cinema now, and if there is a film I'm interested in going to see I don't seek out trailers or setailed reviews that likely to spoil it. My last three have been The Artist, Skyfall, and The Hobbit:An Unexpected Journey. I tend to read reviews/check out detailed information about such films after I've seen them. I like to find out which other films certain actors have been in, what other people thought about the film, explanations for any bits of the plot I wasn't sure about etc.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    As you yourself say, surely the interspaz only ruins the experience if you allow it to? I'll watch the standard trailers and read the press reviews and...that's it.

It baffles me that anyone would want to trawl blogs, IMDb and similar sites for information on upcoming films. Surely it's much more interesting to discuss a film after you've watched it?

I know I've contributed to The Great Gatsby thread on here but that was mostly concerned with talking about the book.
  • davordavor Posts: 6,874
    Forum Member
    You don't need to watch trailers and read spoilers, I never do.
  • PhoenixRisesPhoenixRises Posts: 2,607
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time the internet spoils films for me is when someone is sat looking at facebook while I am in the cinema, highly distracting if angled in the right way.

As for spoilers on the internet I just avoid these type of sites that give you detail after detail, They only spoil things if you let it.
  • YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I agree with Trsvis_Bickle for the most part.

It can ruin a film as much as you let it.

Saying that, I trawl IMDB for information on a film. like the cast, I'll see what every one of them have been in before. I also love the Trivia. Who was been considered for the roles and all that. I'll look at the user reviews, but only their title and what star rating they've given, just to geta rough idea about what other people are thinking about it.

I do hate it when you're trying to stay well clear of any information about a film and something somewhere crops up about it and spoils it for you.
  • jules1000jules1000 Posts: 10,709
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I agree with Trsvis_Bickle for the most part.

It can ruin a film as much as you let it.

Saying that, I trawl IMDB for information on a film. like the cast, I'll see what every one of them have been in before. I also love the Trivia. Who was been considered for the roles and all that. I'll look at the user reviews, but only their title and what star rating they've given, just to geta rough idea about what other people are thinking about it.

I do hate it when you're trying to stay well clear of any information about a film and something somewhere crops up about it and spoils it for you.

Yes I do this with a film that I've watched and enjoyed go imdb check out the ins and outs comments section.

I agree with the OP to a certain extent. With some films there is so much hype not just internet tv also that by the time you get around to seeing it its lost its appeal or dosnt match up to its big reveal.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. What ruined the movie experience was that when I decided to go to a film last time, I entered the multi screen cinema (at Cabot Circus in Bristol) and was hit by a stink, sort of BO meets old onions. I could not stand the thought of sitting in that horrible smell for two hours. I have since been again to check up hopng it is OK by now, but no, it still stinks to high heaven. Obvoiusly the manager thinks he can save tiuppence by switching off the air conditioning. But it costs him cutomers. If you live in Bristol, check it out next time you pass.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I agree that there is far too much information. It can become a minefield trying to avoid spoilers, but it can be done to a large degree by avoiding particular sites.

If I know there is a film coming out that I want to see I make a point of not looking at any news sites that may give something away. So on the DS site I mainly use the forums and avoid any of the news pages.

I managed to avoid who died in the Harry Potter book so when I got around to reading the book about 8 months after it was released it wasn't spoilt for me.

You will likely never be 100% spoiler free but you can limit the damage if you try.
  • KarisKaris Posts: 6,380
    Forum Member
    It's hard to avoid spoilers or teaser images, etc. I've had to remove a bunch of companies and groups from my Facebook to avoid all the general information about the Man of Steel. We don't all want to see the new trailer or to have any of it spoiled, and it's not easy avoiding it.

So, yes I'd say the Internet has spoiled the movie experience.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    No, there have always been trailers on tv and before other films at the cinema, articles in magazines etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    No, it just allows poor people to watch more films.
  • Theo_BearTheo_Bear Posts: 997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have a cinema within viable travelling distance, so the internet is a godsend.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    Johnbee wrote: »
    No. What ruined the movie experience was that when I decided to go to a film last time, I entered the multi screen cinema (at Cabot Circus in Bristol) and was hit by a stink, sort of BO meets old onions. I could not stand the thought of sitting in that horrible smell for two hours. I have since been again to check up hopng it is OK by now, but no, it still stinks to high heaven. Obvoiusly the manager thinks he can save tiuppence by switching off the air conditioning. But it costs him cutomers. If you live in Bristol, check it out next time you pass.

Blimey, I was there a few weeks ago and it was fine.:) If you want a better cinema, check out the Watershed down by the Harbourside.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Johnbee wrote: »

Oh, BO and onions. Yum, sounds delightful!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    No, there have always been trailers on tv and before other films at the cinema, articles in magazines etc.

True but not to the ridiculous extent they are now, we have teaser trailers followed by trailers for actual trailers and then short trailer followed by long trailer and lastly final trailer.

In the old days we had one brief trailer and that was it. There is really no need for this much hype and marketing especially for the blockbusters. For example Iron Man 3 will rake in millions even if they only made a 30 second trailer that reveals barely anything.
  • JohnbeeJohnbee Posts: 4,019
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Right I will try The Watershed, thanks.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dbob wrote: »
    True but not to the ridiculous extent they are now, we have teaser trailers followed by trailers for actual trailers and then short trailer followed by long trailer and lastly final trailer.

In the old days we had one brief trailer and that was it. There is really no need for this much hype and marketing especially for the blockbusters. For example Iron Man 3 will rake in millions even if they only made a 30 second trailer that reveals barely anything.

But as people have pointed out, and you have ignored, no one is forcing you to watch the online trailers. The only one ruining the movie experience for you is you.