The fruit and veg growing thread

Comments

• ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone tried growing with seeds from veg

I usually grow, things like Chili's and peppers, but this year realized had no seeds so am trying seeds from veg I bought from CO-OP just chilli seeds and peppers I should point out, have no idea if they'll even shoot
  • TeddybleadsTeddybleads Posts: 6,814
    Forum Member
    Has anyone tried growing with seeds from veg

I usually grow, things like Chili's and peppers, but this year realized had no seeds so am trying seeds from veg I bought from CO-OP just chilli seeds and peppers I should point out, have no idea if they'll even shoot

I've done it with peppers and cucumber. They were fine but let the seeds dry out a bit first before you start to germinate them.
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am growing veggies for the first year this year. I started off with a few tomato seeds and now have 23 large plants !! I am also growing lettuce, raddish, runner beans, parsnips, carrots (atlas and norman) and some french beans.

My Dad treated me to a 6x4 greenhouse, and i am tooooo excited by the whole thing.
  • GogfumbleGogfumble Posts: 22,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can't grow anything this year unfortunately as I will be moving house sometime over the summer so not much point! The greenhouse looks all neglected with nothing growing in it :(
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    Porcupine wrote: »
    I am growing veggies for the first year this year. I started off with a few tomato seeds and now have 23 large plants !! I am also growing lettuce, raddish, runner beans, parsnips, carrots (atlas and norman) and some french beans.

My Dad treated me to a 6x4 greenhouse, and i am tooooo excited by the whole thing.

Enjoy your greenhouse , my tunnel blew down in storm months ago- patiently waiting for hubby to put it up again, I have lots of seeds I want to try- my carrots failed last year maybe this year will be better- I have lettuce peas potatoes cabbage sprouts onions tomatoes growing at moment -lettuce doing the best
  • ExiledchillerExiledchiller Posts: 1,138
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some bugs been eating my runner beans the little #######
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ohhh! a veggie and fruit thread!

hello all *waves*

I have a small but decent sized garden which is paved so everything is container grown (all bless the websites that sell the large containers and plant pots!) all my veg I grow from seed in my little plastic mini greenhouse and 2 wooden greenhouses (about 4 feet tall).

So far I have the following on the go:

carrots and spring onions (growing ok, sowed straight into a couple of deep containers)
    leeks (just planted them out into a couple of big "for life" carrier bags, super strong and means I can move them around the garden)
    spinach (panted some decent sized seedlings out and more seeds the other half of container which just have just started to come up)
    purple sprouting broccoli (got 8 lovely ones that I plan to plant out at weekend and got another 8 JUST popping up)
    3 variety of tomatoes (all coming along nicely!)
    broadbeans (planted out 9 that I started earlier and got another 6 JUST coming up)
    peas (not going well.... hardly had any come up this year, I think they hate me)
    beetroot (need to plant these out when it's warmer... 1st time Ive grown these)
    lots of lettuce as cut and come again (just sown another load out)
    sweet pepper and hot variety (seeds coming up really well, couldn't get any to grow last year)
    just planted out some watercress as well (1st time have tried this)

Also got raspberry canes, strawberry plants and a redcurrent bush, all doing so much better this year thank gawd! :)

I have epic failed with trying to grow aubergine, I have have to resort to buying a plant :( have also ordered some tenderstem broccoli plants as well as am slightly addicted to this at the moment.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year I didnt bother raising plants from seeds because I wasnt sure about whether I wanted to grow anything or not. But two weeks ago cleared all the veg beds and last week bought ready grown plants from homebase. Tomatoes, runner beans, courgettes and brocolli. These are the ones that I usually have a lot of luck with. Oh and garlic from last year is still growing. Last year was a disaster. Not only did I over do it but spent a fortune in propogators, seeding pots etc. This year only spent £70 including top soil for vegetable beds and indoor plants.

Has a look yesterday and everything is doing well. Glad didnt over do it this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Does lager/beer get rid of snails. I left some out yesterday and no snails visited the jar with beer in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 14,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The rhubarb is now growing well after a poor start, already 7lb off two crowns, also the potatoes are doing well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Picked up some broad bean and pea plants from the garden centre. Planted them the big pots from the pound shop. Surprised how roomy they are a bit like a mini vegetable bed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My onions have started to sprout. My tomatoes are flowering and my broad beans are growing like buggery. Oh, and my sweetcorn is also looking good.

I have soooo many raddish that I could supply Tesco. They are really good raddish though.

The only disappointment is my lettuce. Nowt is happening.
  • LeightonismeLeightonisme Posts: 232
    Forum Member
    I grow a lot of flowers, most of which are edible and veg wise I've only the room for salad crops like lettuce, rocket, radish. I've also got peas growing and strawberries and the other half is growing mushrooms. Oh and also lots and lots of different herbs.
  • MP3_4_LifeMP3_4_Life Posts: 175
    Forum Member
    As I was on the sick for a few weeks I decided to see if I have the same knack at gardening that my dad and grandad had. So started growing potatoes, Carrots, Onions, Spring Onions, Lettuce, Cauliflower, Brussel sprouts, Broad Beans, Runner Beans, Peas, Tomatoes, Chili Pepper, Garlic and Bell Pepper plus assorted flowers

In for a penny in for a pound lol

So far Onions, Tomatoes and Potatoes are growing really well, Lettuce, Cauliflower and Brussles Sprouts seem to be growing slowly but surely. Carrots and Spring onions have started sprouting, Peas and Broad beans not too bad they are getting there and the Peppers and Chili are ready to get put into larger pots. Should be enough to keep me busy now I am back at work lol.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    This year I bought all my plants from Homebase. Last year I spent a fortune on seeds which really did not work very well. All vegetables doing well.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My runner beans are looking really good. They are growing a lot in this humid weather. My tomatos have all got flowers on. The ones in the greenhouse are getting very tall, so i think I will start pinching the tops out of them.

My onions (spring and normal) are coming on great guns, but i might have to thin them out a little as I went a smidge OTT with the seeds !! I have two lettuce growing and my carrots are coming on a treat. I can't wait to sample them. Oh, and i have signs of parsnips as well.

My raddish that I mentioned above died. A bug got into the soil (like small maggots) and they ate away at the raddish so they went all soggy and nasty.
  • 19Nick6819Nick68 Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My onions aren't looking so great the same goes from my French beans.

Runner beans, Lettuce, Spinach, Beetroot, Sweetcorn, main crop potatoes and numerous types of squash are all looking good. Had quite a few Strawberries and the plum tree is looking good despite flowering very late.

Have planted out some leeks, lettuce, kale and more spinach a couple of weeks ago which are coming along.

Not sure about my celeriac it was growing well but although looking healthy just seems to have stalled. Trying it instead of Celery which totally failed the last two years. The guy where I buy my plants from assured me it was just plant and go.

I have more beetroot and leeks to plant out soon but very little space.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My indoor cucumber was doing really well. Had about 4 but now the flowers are falling off and not a single cucumber.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So far picked a kilo of strawberries from the garden
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Greenhouse is being attacked by whitefly, which hopefully I'm winning that battle now!
    Had a few cucumbers and strawberries, lots of little chillies growing and the first of my toms are ripening:)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Greenhouse is being attacked by whitefly, which hopefully I'm winning that battle now!
    Had a few cucumbers and strawberries, lots of little chillies growing and the first of my toms are ripening:)

I have more tomatoes this year than I did last year. Really pleased with how everything is progressing in the garden.:)
  • c00kiemonster72c00kiemonster72 Posts: 2,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glad to hear its going well for you bornfree:)

Anyone had any casualties in the garden with the hot spell we're having?

I lost a load of lettuce the other day and they were too far gone by the time I got home to recover with water. Plus my toms were all droopy yesterday as they were dry. Previous years in the huge pots I would water them every 5 - 6 days. This year I'm down to every 2 days!

I'm growing cucumbers this year for the first time. My 2 plants grew to about 18" fruited a few cucumbers and stopped growing. Now that I've picked off the cucumbers the plants have decided to start growing again and with lots of vigour.
    Surely this isn't normal, why did the plants stop growing?
    I'm thinking that I should cut these early fruit off and have allowed the plant to grow more before thinking of growing any cucumbers.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Glad to hear its going well for you bornfree:)

Anyone had any casualties in the garden with the hot spell we're having?

I lost a load of lettuce the other day and they were too far gone by the time I got home to recover with water. Plus my toms were all droopy yesterday as they were dry. Previous years in the huge pots I would water them every 5 - 6 days. This year I'm down to every 2 days!

I'm growing cucumbers this year for the first time. My 2 plants grew to about 18" fruited a few cucumbers and stopped growing. Now that I've picked off the cucumbers the plants have decided to start growing again and with lots of vigour.
    Surely this isn't normal, why did the plants stop growing?
    I'm thinking that I should cut these early fruit off and have allowed the plant to grow more before thinking of growing any cucumbers.

Mine did the same so I put some more compost and fed them. I have got some more flowers. Hopefully will get some more cucumbers.
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SO many raspberries and strawberries this year, they have gone bonkers. Everyday getting at least a bowl full (very nice mixed with porridge).

The spring onions are nearly ready (need to sow some more) and the carrots are getting bigger (ditto with sowing more of them as well). Just picked my 1st lot of broad beans (sowed them late this year) and the toms are coming along great, really shot up the last few weeks and getting some fruit already (grew 3 varieties this year but due to my min greenhouse blowing down and topploing my seedtrays all over the place I don't know which are which!) :)

Also my peppers (mix of hot and sweet) are getting huge! In a week am sure they have grown 4 inches, some have flowered and got a couple fruiting already.

Spuds coming along nicely and the purple sprouting broccoli and tenderstem and coming along leaps and bounds. Mind you am having to squish eggs and pick off the caterpillars to feed to the fish (I feel so bad!) And the squash plants are just about the flower.

Also the beetroot seems to be ok. peas were a complete fail. Peas really hate me.

Have to water every evening as everything is in pots but so far looks ok! :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Badcat wrote: »
    SO many raspberries and strawberries this year, they have gone bonkers. Everyday getting at least a bowl full (very nice mixed with porridge).

The spring onions are nearly ready (need to sow some more) and the carrots are getting bigger (ditto with sowing more of them as well). Just picked my 1st lot of broad beans (sowed them late this year) and the toms are coming along great, really shot up the last few weeks and getting some fruit already (grew 3 varieties this year but due to my min greenhouse blowing down and topploing my seedtrays all over the place I don't know which are which!) :)

Also my peppers (mix of hot and sweet) are getting huge! In a week am sure they have grown 4 inches, some have flowered and got a couple fruiting already.

Spuds coming along nicely and the purple sprouting broccoli and tenderstem and coming along leaps and bounds. Mind you am having to squish eggs and pick off the caterpillars to feed to the fish (I feel so bad!) And the squash plants are just about the flower.

Also the beetroot seems to be ok. peas were a complete fail. Peas really hate me.

Have to water every evening as everything is in pots but so far looks ok! :)

Excellent news:)