Athletics 2013

Comments

• Tiger RoseTiger Rose Posts: 11,786
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Hopefully the amazing gold will help him become a world force (fitness key ofcourse)

8.10 is not a bad effort at this time of year, especially when you consider that he had an operation in the autumn so has only been training properly since the start of the year.

Will be interesting to see if the Long Jump improves over the next few years from it's recent slump in standards. Whatever happens there though I hope Greg can jump 8.40-8.50+ in the next couple of years.
  • Jo09Jo09 Posts: 3,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know how much the tickets to the anniversary games will cost?
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »
    Does anyone know how much the tickets to the anniversary games will cost?

£13-£210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    £13-£210

• QwertyGirl1771QwertyGirl1771 Posts: 4,472
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just want to add my congratulations to young athlete Desiree Henry who won last nights Student of the Year at college. She was one of the young athletes selected by Daley Thompson last year to light the Olympic couldren. Her parents were there to collect her certificate for her and I had a little tear in my eye as they looked so proud.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 71
    Forum Member
    Hi there

Anybody successful in getting tickets for the Anniversary Games today? I was able to get some as we had previously bought tickets for the meet at Crystal Palace which was cancelled. Very excited! We are going on the Friday and the schedule looks very good.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    boyblue1 wrote: »
    Hi there

Anybody successful in getting tickets for the Anniversary Games today? I was able to get some as we had previously bought tickets for the meet at Crystal Palace which was cancelled. Very excited! We are going on the Friday and the schedule looks very good.

Tickets are not available until Friday.
  • Zac QuinnZac Quinn Posts: 5,172
    Forum Member
    Got two tickets to the Saturday. Taking my dad with me to see Mo, Usain and Jess for a total £110 quid, he hasn't shut up about how disappointed he was not to get any tickets for London 2012 in about 18 months so it'll be a lovely Father's Day present for him.

The able-bodied Diamond League part of the event sold out in 75 minutes - is that a record?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did anyone listen to the Record Fakers on 5 Live earlier? It was fascinating stuff investigating the East German doping regime of the 70s & 80s - I would recommend you catch it on i-player or download the podcast if you missed it. Big thumbs up to Mike Costello for some great journalism too - 5 Live should do more of this & less phone ins on Suarez

Really interesting to hear how it affects lives all these years on from the health & wellbeing of the East German athletes to how those who potentially missed out on medals & titles feel.

There was also discussion on whether the records should be erased & how it's affecting the sport today e.g. women's athletics can't be promoted as much as so many world records are seen as out of reach.
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,781
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tiger Rose wrote: »
    Did anyone listen to the Record Fakers on 5 Live earlier? It was fascinating stuff investigating the East German doping regime of the 70s & 80s - I would recommend you catch it on i-player or download the podcast if you missed it. Big thumbs up to Mike Costello for some great journalism too - 5 Live should do more of this & less phone ins on Suarez

Really interesting to hear how it affects lives all these years on from the health & wellbeing of the East German athletes to how those who potentially missed out on medals & titles feel.

There was also discussion on whether the records should be erased & how it's affecting the sport today e.g. women's athletics can't be promoted as much as so many world records are seen as out of reach.

Yes I got hooked and listened to it all. Fascinating stuff.

No movement at all on record erasure though, and it would seem unlikely it will be revisited anytime soon. Although Marita Kochs record 400 metres in particular is so far ahead of the game that unless something remarkable occurs, it will be staring out of tv screens at major championships for many years to come.

Felt particularly sorry for some the British athletes of the era featured who were hard working, unheralded and largely unsponsored. Kathy Smallwood/Cook was well known but she would have been a huge star today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    Yes I got hooked and listened to it all. Fascinating stuff.

No movement at all on record erasure though, and it would seem unlikely it will be revisited anytime soon. Although Marita Kochs record 400 metres in particular is so far ahead of the game that unless something remarkable occurs, it will be staring out of tv screens at major championships for many years to come.

Felt particularly sorry for some the British athletes of the era featured who were hard working, unheralded and largely unsponsored. Kathy Smallwood/Cook was well known but she would have been a huge star today.

Of course expunging the East German records is only part of the problem as it would still leave plenty of 'dodgy' records on the books. If Koch were stripped of her record then it would simply pass to Kratochvilova. :eek:
  • grassmarketgrassmarket Posts: 33,010
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Of course expunging the East German records is only part of the problem as it would still leave plenty of 'dodgy' records on the books. If Koch were stripped of her record then it would simply pass to Kratochvilova. :eek:

Yeah, but there is no excuse for not erasing the East German ones. The Krathochvilova, Flo-Jo and Chinese turtle blood records may be dodgy, but there is absolutely solid proof that the DDR ones were doped, and in fact, people have already been tried and condemned in Court on that evidence.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah, but there is no excuse for not erasing the East German ones. The Krathochvilova, Flo-Jo and Chinese turtle blood records may be dodgy, but there is absolutely solid proof that the DDR ones were doped, and in fact, people have already been tried and condemned in Court on that evidence.

If they were going to do it they would have done it a long time ago - in fact nowadays if you just removed the GDR records you'd be removing Koch's 400m and the Men's & Women's discus and that's it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If they were going to do it they would have done it a long time ago - in fact nowadays if you just removed the GDR records you'd be removing Koch's 400m and the Men's & Women's discus and that's it.

I think the women's 4x400 as well - the 4x100 went at London.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think the women's 4x400 as well - the 4x100 went at London.

According to Wiki the Soviet Union hold the 4x4 record
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ESPN America had coverage of the Drake Relays meet from Des Moines today - it's repeated tomorrow morning at 09:30
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    A couple of interesting performances in America over the weekend. The British women's 4x4 team ran 3.22 & change in the Penn relays, the fastest ever time by British squad outside of a major champs. Hopefully that's a good sign of things to come - I wouldn't be surprised if Ohurougu won the World title again this year.

Also Alistair Brownlee ran 28:32 in a 10K race in California - pretty good time considering that running is only one third of his focus. I think he may need to run a bit quicker later this year or early next year if he does want to run for England on the track at the Commonwealth Games. Nice to see Chris Thompson back in some ort of shape as well, running 27:40.81. Although this was agonisingly less than a second off the A standard for Moscow, I would hope that he would be selected on the strength of that as Farah apart I can't see any other British runners going quicker.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lynsey Sharp may receive gold after Yelena Arzhakova drugs ban http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/scotland/22357135 and

Lawrence Okoye: Discus thrower signs for San Francisco 49ers - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/american-football/22328306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So that's another 2 Russian athletes banned - beyond a joke now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those of us who can't wait until next Friday!

Lots of clips of last weekend's Penn Relays - the most prestigious and historic US domestic athletics event - available for streaming. This is usually where all the world's leading relay times going into the big Championships are set.

http://thepennrelays.com/

And lots of clips on YouTube of the Jamaica High Schools Champs, starting with this one if you are looking to get some early bets down for the 2020 Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-XctWcw20s
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another good omen: the weekly IAAF newsmagazine is starting up again on Sky, various channels and various times.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For those of us who can't wait until next Friday!

Lots of clips of last weekend's Penn Relays - the most prestigious and historic US domestic athletics event - available for streaming. This is usually where all the world's leading relay times going into the big Championships are set.

http://thepennrelays.com/

And lots of clips on YouTube of the Jamaica High Schools Champs, starting with this one if you are looking to get some early bets down for the 2020 Olympics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-XctWcw20s

What's happening next Friday?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jo09 wrote: »
    What's happening next Friday?

The season opener. First Diamond League meeting at Doha.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The season opener. First Diamond League meeting at Doha.

Thanks. For some reason I thought it was later in May.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another early season meet slipping in under the schedule: Eurosport 2 tomorrow at 16:30, the Seiko Grand Prix from Tokyo.