Just bought a Huawei Y300, a few questions

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
Forum Member
✭✭
Decent phone it seems, but I am new to smartphones and android.

Is there any way to only access the internet via my PAYG sim with it asking first, hate the idea of being charged £1 from vodafone every time I accidently click the weather widget rather than the clock/alarm (which i use regularly)?

Likewise with phone calls?

My router is in bridge mode, can I still use wifi on the phone with it?

What is google play and is it the only way to play games on the device? (not the graphically intense games, it struggles apparently)

Probably more to come as I play with it, TIA

Comments

• ÆnimaÆnima Posts: 38,548
    Forum Member
    Not sure I understand? So, do you have a contract AND a pay as you go sim? If you have a contract, why not just use that? If not, then you can access the internet as long as your phone is topped up, but honestly, it is so expensive to do so this way, I don't know why you wouldn't just get a cheap contract and forget PAYG?

Google play is your app store, where you search and download free and paid apps, games, most things really.

Have you tried switching wifi on with your phone and does it detect your router? Does it ask for a password (if you have one?), if so, it is working, if you switch wifi on and it doesn't detect it, then it isn't working. Simple as that really.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,482
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just a PAYG sim, want to make calls with it but not use the internet, can i set it up that way?

The wifi is on but I need to find the settings for ip address on the phone (the instructions provided with this phone is tiny)
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Righ to turn off data go settings and under Wireless and Networks hit more then Mobile Networks and uncheck Data Enabled. This turns off your Vodafone data. You could install a widget like 2G/3G on off on your home screen to do the same job (not having your phone I don't know if you have a built in short cut).

Not sure about your wifi bridge issue. Do you need to set up a static IP address? If so download Wifi static from the Play Store. And whilst we are on that subject yes the PS is the place to get all your games and apps. If you need to buy any and don't fancy entering your card details then places like Tesco sell gift cards so you can pre pay.
  • Ultraman1966Ultraman1966 Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    I'm curious, why buy a smartphone if you can't use mobile data? Switch to Three PAYG, they do a flat rate of 1p per MB. Vodafone charges 1 quid for 25MB which is a poorer rate and it's a minimum spend per day.
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm curious, why buy a smartphone if you can't use mobile data? Switch to Three PAYG, they do a flat rate of 1p per MB. Vodafone charges 1 quid for 25MB which is a poorer rate and it's a minimum spend per day.

Honestly I think 30 day contracts are still the best value if you have a sim free device.
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    enapace wrote: »
    Honestly I think 30 day contracts are still the best value if you have a sim free device.

That’s all according to how much you use the phone. I have used a 3-2-1 sim now for 3 month and spent £1:30p and that works out to 43p per month.

So can you tell me where I can get one of those 43p per month rolling contracts?;)
  • enapaceenapace Posts: 4,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »
    That’s all according to how much you use the phone. I have used a 3-2-1 sim now for 3 month and spent £1:30p and that works out to 43p per month.

So can you tell me where I can get one of those 43p per month rolling contracts?;)

Obviously you use your phone very little I expect most use more than that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    finbaar wrote: »
    Righ to turn off data go settings and under Wireless and Networks hit more then Mobile Networks and uncheck Data Enabled. This turns off your Vodafone data. You could install a widget like 2G/3G on off on your home screen to do the same job (not having your phone I don't know if you have a built in short cut).

Not sure about your wifi bridge issue. Do you need to set up a static IP address? If so download Wifi static from the Play Store. And whilst we are on that subject yes the PS is the place to get all your games and apps. If you need to buy any and don't fancy entering your card details then places like Tesco sell gift cards so you can pre pay.

Thanks, have turned off mobile data, seems to be called "data switch" in the notifications area. Speaking of which, what does "auto sync" do in that area?

I am also learning more about the phone, and have customised the home screen and deleted the weather widget, so can't accidently click it and spend an unnecessary pound.

How do you do video calls, if possible at all? Is it automatic if speaking to someone else who has a smartphone or do you need an app?

I notice the screen goes blank during a call if you hold it to your ear, is that a power saving measure?

Is there any way to pay for play store apps with PAYG calling credit?

It's not like I'll never use the mobile data option, will look into Three PAYG too. At £70 this phone is great, worth it just for wifi.
  • Rodney McKayRodney McKay Posts: 8,143
    Forum Member
    The T-mobile PAYG deal of £20 for 6 months internet access is still a good one and you can tether your tablet.
  • lem ramsaylem ramsay Posts: 1,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I guess screens go blank on touchscreen phones (I guess more on capacitive touchscreens - I don't think they do resistive anymore anyway) so you don't accidentally press something when holding it to your ear.
    It's the proximity sensor that makes it go blank when you get a call and move the phone close to your ear.
  • finbaarfinbaar Posts: 4,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi dmuk,
    autosync allows all the services like calendars, email etc to pull data in from the Web.

Video calls are very expensive generally if you use your network. Not to worry though there are apps like Tango and Skype that allow free video calls provided both of you have the same app installed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for the answers so far, so video calls can only be done through apps?

Just hooked it up to my PC but only showing as 1GB mass storage?

Thought this phone had 4GB, but then some say 2.7GB. I'm getting a 16gb SD card, but would be nice to know what's going on here.
  • coopermanyorkscoopermanyorks Posts: 21,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SkipTracer wrote: »

Billy no mates :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,133
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How mean :D
  • SkipTracerSkipTracer Posts: 2,959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Did I not say that’s not my only phone, oh sorry I forgot to mention my Ovivo phone that cost me 0p per month.:D
  • Sun_BeamSun_Beam Posts: 11,600
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Originally posted by dmuk
    Decent phone it seems, but I am new to smartphones and android.

Is there any way to only access the internet via my PAYG sim with it asking first, hate the idea of being charged £1 from vodafone every time I accidently click the weather widget rather than the clock/alarm (which i use regularly)?

Likewise with phone calls?

My router is in bridge mode, can I still use wifi on the phone with it?

What is google play and is it the only way to play games on the device? (not the graphically intense games, it struggles apparently)

Probably more to come as I play with it, TIA

I can't answer your question, but can I just ask what your opinions are on the phone in general, OP, as it's the one I'm looking to buy it soon.

I currently have HTC Salsa and having a lot of problems with it - freezes constantly, is slow and unresponsive at times and keeps telling me I'm running low on storage when I have a memory card inserted, so been looking at this for the past few weeks and it seems good, having had a previous Huawei PAYG phone.

I know the Y300 basically does the same as the phone I have now, but just a little bit better, which suits me fine and I'm more than happy with it and not prepared to pay more for a phone as I don't use them much, except for texting and the Internet, but like having a smartphone phone.

Thanks. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm probably not the person to ask, I'm a novice to smartphones in general, but it seems fast, responsive and smooth. A little bit bulkier than I would prefer, but happy with the product I got for £70.