Got an old Nintendo DS - top screen is dodgy, still play?

Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
Forum Member
Helping my girlfriend do a clearout of a flat where the tenants had emigrated and left behind various things, we found a Nintendo DS.

It's possibly the oldest model Nintendo DS given to me, I'd never been able to justify buying one, but now it might be quite fun to try New Super Mario Bros etc.
But the catch is, it's actually an abandoned DS, so far I've only been able to try it with GBA games, Iv'e got about 20 and it's great as a GBA due to the much brighter screen, the only thing is the top screen has some sort of flickering fault which might be why the previous owners haven't bothered taking it with them.

If I buy a DS game for it, are the two screens absolutely essential or could I get by with just one of them working properly? And if the main game action takes place on only one of the screens can I flip them round to get over the fault?

Interestingly I had a GBA flash cartridge where you could write any ROM you wanted to it, this isn't read by the DS and nor is the Sonic 1 GBA game I've got.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You do require both screens for a DS, especially if your playing NSMB, as the top screen is where the action takes places, and the bottom screen is where you can "power up" and view your progress on the map.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    redlight79 wrote: »
    You do require both screens for a DS, especially if your playing NSMB, as the top screen is where the action takes places, and the bottom screen is where you can "power up" and view your progress on the map.

Unless the top screen can be repaired it might be just useful as a brigher GBA screen then!
  • suncitysuncity Posts: 368
    Forum Member
    Seeing as the top screen is the MAIN screen, I'd say repair it, put it on ebay as FAULTY or bin it.
  • Bill ClintonBill Clinton Posts: 9,389
    Forum Member
    I'm enjoying it as a brighter screen GBA, it's better than the rather dim screen
    original GBA that I have, not yet tried an actual DS game to see how bad that screen will be it seems to flicker a lot.