Ipad air too small

linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Anybody else feel this way? I like the tablet it's faster than my Ipad 3 yet I feel it's too small. I would have liked it to adopt the new shape and stay a thin tablet but adopt a 10.6 inch screen maybe widescreen too? Everybody thinks my ipad is actually smaller. The larger bezel gave the impression of a larger ipad.

Let's hope Ipad pro comes along next year.

Comments

• VoynichVoynich Posts: 14,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Buy a huge bulky case for it.
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Anybody else feel this way? I like the tablet it's faster than my Ipad 3 yet I feel it's too small. I would have liked it to adopt the new shape and stay a thin tablet but adopt a 10.6 inch screen maybe widescreen too? Everybody thinks my ipad is actually smaller. The larger bezel gave the impression of a larger ipad.

It's significantly lighter though. I don't see them changing the iPad screen size anytime soon (other then having a Mini version of course).
  • grumpyoldbatgrumpyoldbat Posts: 3,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No. I wouldn't agree. You've got the same great screen, but in a package that doesn't make your arm ache after holding it for long periods of time.

Allegedly, the Apple store staff were delighted when the iPad Mini came out because they have to carry iPads around in store and they weren't that light, I suspect that they'll be equally happy about the lightness of the iPad Air.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No. I wouldn't agree. You've got the same great screen, but in a package that doesn't make your arm ache after holding it for long periods of time.

Allegedly, the Apple store staff were delighted when the iPad Mini came out because they have to carry iPads around in store and they weren't that light, I suspect that they'll be equally happy about the lightness of the iPad Air.

I've a feeling the Apple store staff would still be delighted with it even if it weighed a ton. They're an enthusiastic lot! Unlike the OP who runs hot and very cold with Apple products. At least he's got over his io7 dislike ! :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Voynich wrote: »
    I've a feeling the Apple store staff would still be delighted with it even if it weighed a ton. They're an enthusiastic lot! Unlike the OP who runs hot and very cold with Apple products. At least he's got over his io7 dislike ! :D

I know what you mean. This is based on personal conversations with the staff rather than a "company line" kind of thing. I know the change from iPad to iPad Mini meant it was much easier to carry, and as a result, I get a lot more use out of my tablet than I did before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I know what you mean. This is based on personal conversations with the staff rather than a "company line" kind of thing. I know the change from iPad to iPad Mini meant it was much easier to carry, and as a result, I get a lot more use out of my tablet than I did before.

If you're carrying it around all day, the lighter the better of course. The new design and weight are the big selling points. I don't think there will be many people like OP. He can bulk it up with a chunky case if he wants!:D
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can always attach it to a brick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ROcKPuPvcWU
  • StigStig Posts: 12,446
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How can it be too small? It has the same size screen as the previous iPad. :confused:

Personally, I prefer the 4:3 iPad screen to that of a 16:9 tablet I also have.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you're carrying it around all day, the lighter the better of course. The new design and weight are the big selling points. I don't think there will be many people like OP. He can bulk it up with a chunky case if he wants!:D

Lovely lead-lined case maybe! :D Might mess with the wi-fi though.
  • MicrokorgMicrokorg Posts: 2,670
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll swop you for my ipad 3. ;)
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love my iPad Air it is much better than every other version of the ipad I have had since the beginning. It's great not having the weight or pointless large ipad bezel anymore. I showed my aunt my ipad air and it looked so much better than her iPad 2.

I have a feeling a large iPad pro is coming next year but I think large bezels will be a thing of the past.

If your unhappy with the air you could sell it and get something else. I had a galaxy tab 2 10 inch for two weeks and hated it. The screen does not respond as quickly as an iPad when you touch it. My mum got a galaxy tab 3 8 inch from Vodafone and she is so disappointed with it and much prefers an iPad .

Maybe a new nexus 10 will be out soon for you op you might prefer that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love my iPad Air it is much better than every other version of the ipad I have had since the beginning. It's great not having the weight or pointless large ipad bezel anymore. I showed my aunt my ipad air and it looked so much better than her iPad 2.

I have a feeling a large iPad pro is coming next year but I think large bezels will be a thing of the past.

If your unhappy with the air you could sell it and get something else. I had a galaxy tab 2 10 inch for two weeks and hated it. The screen does not respond as quickly as an iPad when you touch it. My mum got a galaxy tab 3 8 inch from Vodafone and she is so disappointed with it and much prefers an iPad .

Maybe a new nexus 10 will be out soon for you op you might prefer that.

The OP really doesn't like non Apple tablets. You should see some of his threads! For a while he really didn't like ios7 either but I think he's over that one. :D
  • gregrichardsgregrichards Posts: 4,913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP really doesn't like non Apple tablets. You should see some of his threads! For a while he really didn't like ios7 either but I think he's over that one. :D

Oh right I don't think he will be in luck getting an iPad with a large bezel again. The air is a great device I don't know why a smaller bezel would cause a problem I can hold it fine with my leather smart case on while watching a movie and I don't hit the screen accidentally.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh right I don't think he will be in luck getting an iPad with a large bezel again. The air is a great device I don't know why a smaller bezel would cause a problem I can hold it fine with my leather smart case on while watching a movie and I don't hit the screen accidentally.

You should be able to use it comfortably without any accessories, I think. And I can see how a small bezel can be a problem. It should be ergonomic in the first place not thin and small. Design should be functional.
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I wonder if the OP will sell his ipad in protest against the new air. Claim he is finished with Apple and buy an android tablet, which after a while he will rubbish, buy another ipad and sing Apple's praises again. Sounds like something I've heard before....:D
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the OP will sell his ipad in protest against the new air. Claim he is finished with Apple and buy an android tablet, which after a while he will rubbish, buy another ipad and sing Apple's praises again. Sounds like something I've heard before....:D

Nothing would make me buy an Andriod tablet. The market is defined like the iPod. The phone market remains comepetive.
  • alanwarwicalanwarwic Posts: 28,396
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Was I seeing things?

I'm sure the white Ipad Air I thought I saw in Tesco seemed to have a massive bezel.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    alanwarwic wrote: »
    Was I seeing things?

I'm sure the white Ipad Air I thought I saw in Tesco seemed to have a massive bezel.

Optical illusion caused by the white bezel vs the black one?

Bezel on the side looks the same on both: http://store.apple.com/uk/buy-ipad/ipad-air
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Optical illusion caused by the white bezel vs the black one?.

I never saw or maybe even noticed the more unobtrusive black one. But on the shelf display I think I only really saw it from the top.
  • zapodzapod Posts: 661
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was I seeing things?

My Tesco still has the iPad 4 on display. As did Currys. Both today.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sort of wonder it was just an Air poster above a 4.

The Tesco showcase pedestal sort of ugly like shoves the tablets into your face.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I sort of wonder it was just an Air poster above a 4.

The Tesco showcase pedestal sort of ugly like shoves the tablets into your face.

Yeah, my branch of Tesco still has the iPad 4 on display.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another marketing triumph from PC World today - loads of tablets on display, all makes and types, including iPads, but where you'd expect the iPad Air to be, just a crappy piece of typed paper with a list of the models they have in stock. Way to insinuate your customers can't be trusted with demos models! :rolleyes:
  • psionicpsionic Posts: 20,188
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Another marketing triumph from PC World today - loads of tablets on display, all makes and types, including iPads, but where you'd expect the iPad Air to be, just a crappy piece of typed paper with a list of the models they have in stock. Way to insinuate your customers can't be trusted with demos models! :rolleyes:

PC World are having a huge push right now to flog off loads of Android tablets. TV ads and cash back offers involved. iPads get a cash back too - but perhaps they make less profit on those? http://www.pcworld.co.uk/gbuk/laptops-netbooks/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/889_7505_70535_0_xx/1_30/price-asc/xx-criteria.html?intcmp=home-hero--tabletsfrom-searchlisting-computing-061113
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,750
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The iPad was always too big for me so I went to the iPad Mini. I would definitely consider the iPad Air but to be honest for what I use my tablet for (reading, browsing the web, email, games) the 7 inch form factor is perfect. Thought I would miss the retina but I don't, and even on iOS 7 it runs smoothly.