Options

BBC Presenters' Poppy Dates

ftvftv Posts: 31,668
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The BBC says all on-screen presenters have been advised to wear poppies from 6 am on Saturday October 26 to midnight on Monday November 11.

Comments

• Options
    steveh31steveh31 Posts: 13,516
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And? Does EVERY story involving the BBC need a thread? Are you going to talk about every other company's poppy policy?
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    Hurray. The annual BBC Poppy thread.

Please select one of the following.

1: Disgust at presenter/s not wearing a poppy.
    2: Disgust at presenter wearing a poppy.
    3: Disgust at being harassed on the street by wild and feral poppy sellers.
    4: Jonathon Ross/Russel Brand shat in my slippers.
  • Options
    AdsAds Posts: 37,059
    Forum Member
    Although I think the Poppy appeal is a great thing, I hate it when those not wearing a poppy on tv are slated - if people don't want to wear a poppy then that is their choice.
  • Options
    NilremNilrem Posts: 6,940
    Forum Member
    Thank you camera obscura for a much needed laugh this morning :).

Back on topic, I wouldn't be surprised if other broadcasters have issued similar advice to their staff (just not reported, or advised in an unofficial manner rather than in writing etc).
  • Options
    northantsgirlnorthantsgirl Posts: 4,663
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    The BBC says all on-screen presenters have been advised to wear poppies from 6 am on Saturday October 26 to midnight on Monday November 11.

I hope they agreed this with the Daily Mail beforehand.;)
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ftv wrote: »
    I wouldn't mind seeing a link to this "advice". I bet the BBC has told presenters they can (optional) wear poppies between these dates rather than suggesting they have to, which is how this reads at the moment.
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wouldn't mind seeing a link to this "advice". I bet the BBC has told presenters they can (optional) wear poppies between these dates rather than suggesting they have to, which is how this reads at the moment.

Well, the OP does say 'have been advised' which is not the same as been told they have to.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    see http://www.bbc.co.uk/editorialguidelines/news/news-poppies-091013/
    Remembrance Day isn't far off and the period of poppy wearing will soon start. For those who wish to wear them we suggest that poppies may be worn on screen from 06.00 am Saturday 26th October to 23.59 on Remembrance Day, Monday 11th November
  • Options
    human naturehuman nature Posts: 13,352
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, the OP does say 'have been advised' which is not the same as been told they have to.
    Maybe I'm just reading it differently. If I was "advised to wear a poppy" between certain dates, I would interpret that as an instruction. If it's optional, I would have expected that to be stated.

Fortunately, the link technologist has provided makes things much clearer - staff are being told "for those who wish to wear them we suggest that poppies are worn..."
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    why should they be advised when they should wear the poppy from? they can wear them if they want, and if they want to, they can wear it whenever they want. if somebody doesn't wear it, so what? not relevant. doesn't mean they don't care or whatever. whether anyone does or doesn't wear one is a complete non story, as is this 'advice' story
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Which BBC presenter is going to be brave enough to abstain from wearing a poppy and face the Mail-led storm which will certainly follow?
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sure enough, there are indeed people out there who have in the past taken issue with when BBC presenters started wearing poppies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323540/BBC-presenters-criticised-charities-wearing-poppies-early.html

It was in the Mail, so it must be true.
  • Options
    Ian AberdonIan Aberdon Posts: 2,172
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    26th Oct is far too late. It should be at least a couple of weeks earlier. Shame on the BBC.

:D
  • Options
    henderohendero Posts: 11,773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    26th Oct is far too late. It should be at least a couple of weeks earlier. Shame on the BBC.

It's far too early, it dilutes the significance of the day itself, the poppies become nothing more than a fashion accessory.

:)
  • Options
    AbMan51AbMan51 Posts: 367
    Forum Member

You may gest, but I saw one of the Midlands Today presenter's wearing his poppy in my Deli yesterday. (Its located near the MailBox in Birmingham, right outside the BBC studios.)
  • Options
    GeorgeSGeorgeS Posts: 20,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I saw someone today wearing one - not on tv, in an office

Course you have year round things stuck to car grills too
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down with this sort of thing
  • Options
    AmbassadorAmbassador Posts: 22,333
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Has anyone asked Paul Dacre when we should start wearing these things? I would really value his opinion
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    when will BBC show Christmas trailers in 2013 (will we get a launch promo?)

will BBC be the Olympic Channel (Sochi?) and the Commonwealth Channel (Glasgow)

also will it be the European Games Channel in 2015?
  • Options
    davelovesleedsdavelovesleeds Posts: 22,635
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As Poppies are not yet on sale the cheapskates wearing them must be using last years.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,856
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I save previous years' and still put a hefty coin or two in the collecting box: S'greener!
  • Options
    CAMERA OBSCURACAMERA OBSCURA Posts: 8,023
    Forum Member
    I never buy a poppy because I dont believe the leftie BBC should be supporting war by forcing it's employees to wear one. . I dont pay my license fee for leftie war mongering.

I hope I dont see Ross/Brand wearing poppies as my foil hat might shoot up in the air in some bizarre Three Stooges-esque fashion.

:mad: Grrrr.

My God how small are these guys

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/846933/thumbs/o-POPPY-APPEAL-facebook.jpg
  • Options
    ElMarkoElMarko Posts: 5,224
    Forum Member
    I never buy a poppy because I dont believe the leftie BBC should be supporting war by forcing it's employees to wear one. . I dont pay my license fee for leftie war mongering.

I hope I dont see Ross/Brand wearing poppies as my foil hat might shoot up in the air in some bizarre Three Stooges-esque fashion.

I like you. You're cool. Have you considered a white poppy? More peace-related, for a start.
  • Options
    Tfan26Tfan26 Posts: 6,829
    Forum Member
    hendero wrote: »
    Sure enough, there are indeed people out there who have in the past taken issue with when BBC presenters started wearing poppies.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1323540/BBC-presenters-criticised-charities-wearing-poppies-early.html

It was in the Mail, so it must be true.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/6461671/Ellie-Crisells-carefully-pinned-poppy-takes-eye.html
  • Options
    bluesdiamondbluesdiamond Posts: 11,362
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

How do you relate the Poppy, a symbol selected by soldiers after World War One, to remember fallen friends with support of war?

Wars are started by politicians. the military as part of its duties are the men and women who carry out the political objectives,

Please, never again say that wearing a poppy means you support a war. I wear it as a sign of respect to my great grandfather who died in Gallipoli during a major military blunder.

Thank you.