Stuart Hall admits 14 sexual assaults...

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    If slapping a woman's bum is classed as sexual assault then I have to go to the police and report quite a few men then....
    I believe someone kissing you is classed as sexual assault .. I'm honestly confused at what should be classed as a sexual assault....

One thing I'm confused about is if 'some' of these things were not a crime back then - such as bum pinching/slapping and various other 'hands on' annoyances - can people really be charged now? I don't mean rape of any kind nor anything involving children of course. Some of these things whether welcomed or tolerated by the woman or not were not actually crimes then were they?

Seriously any teenager/young woman - probably older ones too - were subject to some kind unwanted physical attention years back. I know I was when I first started work and hadn't a clue how to handle it - I told a couple of older females I worked with and was basically told to put up and shut up!

I do wonder where is the line drawn now and if it was drawn in a different place back then is it right to try and have men charged now when they wouldn't have been at the time? There is a line of course which should have always have been the same but sadly it wasn't, that is just a fact of life.
  • i4ui4u Posts: 54,923
    Forum Member
    Maybe how people see and react is different?

Here's a brief account by Kim Wright who in the 1970's was 17 at the time...
    ‘He slid his arm around me and then, without a word, squeezed my breast,’ said Kim, now 55. ‘He didn’t just do it and let go, he kept his hand there. I immediately told him to get off and pulled away.

Everything happened so quickly and I thought, “Dirty old man”. He acted as if nothing had happened and just walked off without saying a word.

That apparently was the extent of the assault but it had this impact...
    Kim pushed the incident to the back of her mind, not even telling her mother, two older sisters or closest friends, but shuddered with disgust whenever Stuart Hall appeared on television.

Kim confided only in Tim, her husband of 17 years, and himself a former police sergeant, because he had noticed her becoming upset every time Hall was on television.

The assault took place at a public event during an exhibition.

People say it was different then but think about Vic Reeves on Shooting Stars and rubbing his hands up and down his thighs whilst ogling a female guest.

I'd say things are now more explicit such as what happens on Celebrity Juice. Who's to say in 20 years time one the female guests isn't going to say at the time I laughed as I didn't want to be seen as a party pooper....but I feel I was used.
  • sconescone Posts: 14,850
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm sick of seeing this old turnip head all over the news
  • violetcrawleyvioletcrawley Posts: 734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i4u wrote: »

People say it was different then but think about Vic Reeves on Shooting Stars and rubbing his hands up and down his thighs whilst ogling a female guest.

I'd say things are now more explicit such as what happens on Celebrity Juice. Who's to say in 20 years time one the female guests isn't going to say at the time I laughed as I didn't want to be seen as a party pooper....but I feel I was used.

Gloria Hunniford on this morning said she saw him all over a female at a awards show or conference and as he went pass her slapped her bum.

Both her and Eamon both worked with him.

I have to say I grew up in the north and as well as its a knock out and sports stuff he also did news stuff for look north prog I think. He was on the telly alot.
  • incy wincyincy wincy Posts: 839
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Is she one of the ones suing him and one of the offences he's admitted to? ETA: I see she is one of the offences, don't know if she's suing him.
  • Betty BritainBetty Britain Posts: 13,721
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    scone wrote: »
    I'm sick of seeing this old turnip head all over the news

I can't see him disappearing anytime soon as I'm sure there will be stories splashed all over the media soon
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thames/LWT wrote: »
    Here's one for fans of 'It's A Knockout':

When the judge sentences Stuart Hall do you think he'll use his Joker?

Doubt it-in Knockout the Joker doubled the points -I doubt he would want double the sentence ;)
  • Chris1964Chris1964 Posts: 19,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If slapping a woman's bum is classed as sexual assault then I have to go to the police and report quite a few men then....
    I believe someone kissing you is classed as sexual assault .. I'm honestly confused at what should be classed as a sexual assault....

....well basically you are not allowed to touch anyone in any way unless you are absolutely sure of their response.
  • jules4stujules4stu Posts: 351
    Forum Member
    its beyond me why women are supposed to shrug off being slapped or groped. yes, a lot of us would punch back, but some might not be capable. and in any case; why should we have to?
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I can't see him disappearing anytime soon as I'm sure there will be stories splashed all over the media soon

Yes, he's sentenced in early June. I expect he will get at least a few weeks jail, for the 9 year-old victim, and then the papers will be obsessed with reporting on how he takes to jail, as with Gary Glitter, and George Best.
  • Cissy FairfaxCissy Fairfax Posts: 11,800
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jules4stu wrote: »
    its beyond me why women are supposed to shrug off being slapped or groped. yes, a lot of us would punch back, but some might not be capable. and in any case; why should we have to?

Id say that probably 30 or 40% of the bum pinching that goes on around the pubs, clubs and maybe even schools and workplaces would be groups of girls/women on man, barman etc.

I honestly don't know what my thoughts are on that part of the issue any more, other than if whoever is on the receiving end is uncomfortable it's wrong.

But then even that might include greeting somebody with a seemingly standard.kiss.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Chris1964 wrote: »
    ....well basically you are not allowed to touch anyone in any way unless you are absolutely sure of their response.

I havent read the finer details of th offences but one of them was summarised as kissing a girl on the lips.

I may be wrong, but I think she was 17. I'm not sure legally - and from when it occurred in the 70s - whether that altered the offence and had she have been 15 or 19 that would've termed it differently.

I would've thought it must have had more seriousness to it, or lasted longer than the article implied.
  • trevor tigertrevor tiger Posts: 37,996
    Forum Member

Vic Reeves was being satirical surely and taking the piss out of men of that celeb calibre fawning over the ladies and surely Keith Lemon is doing the same :confused: Whereas Stuart Hall was simply getting his jollies and taking advantage.
    Id say that probably 30 or 40% of the bum pinching that goes on around the pubs, clubs and maybe even schools and workplaces would be groups of girls/women on man, barman etc.

I honestly don't know what my thoughts are on that part of the issue any more, other than if whoever is on the receiving end is uncomfortable it's wrong.

But then even that might include greeting somebody with a seemingly standard.kiss.

So what if women do it to men :confused: Because they do women should accept it when men do it to them. It's up to an individual to judge what happens to them and no one should accept being touched unwarranted lightly. That's not to say the police always have to be involved but just because you chose not to involve the police that doesn't mean you have to accept this kind of interference.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So what if women do it to men :confused: Because they do women should accept it when men do it to them. It's up to an individual to judge what happens to them and no one should accept being touched unwarranted lightly. That's not to say the police always have to be involved but just because you chose not to involve the police that doesn't mean you have to accept this kind of interference.

Pretty much as I said.
    Forum Member
    Vic Reeves was being satirical surely and taking the piss out of men of that celeb calibre fawning over the ladies and surely Keith Lemon is doing the same :confused: Whereas Stuart Hall was simply getting his jollies and taking advantage.

Would that be the same Vic Reeves with a partner 18 years younger a former nightclub dancer and rather large glands, Nancy Sorell?

Are he and the character Keith Lemon really taking the mickey or just using as an excuse to behave in a certain way towards females and get away with it?

Some people were saying it was different in the 60's and 70's and in some ways it was but are the same things happening but in a more modern guise?

Are Loaded and FHM pokingfun at the top shelf mags of the 60's & 70's or produced for the same reasons but with a modern twist ?
  • jjnejjne Posts: 6,580
    Forum Member
    I don't think he will be jailed for that long..

Well, by means of comparison, HTV News presenter Peter Rowell (pretty much Hall's opposite number through some of the 1990s) received a six year sentence last year for what appear to be quite similar offences.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, he's sentenced in early June. I expect he will get at least a few weeks jail, for the 9 year-old victim, and then the papers will be obsessed with reporting on how he takes to jail, as with Gary Glitter, and George Best.

? :confused:they be lucky to send George Best to jail. He's dead.
    Forum Member
    jjne wrote: »
    Well, by means of comparison, HTV News presenter Peter Rowell (pretty much Hall's opposite number through some of the 1990s) received a six year sentence last year for what appear to be quite similar offences.

Do seem similar and rape case reduced to sexual assault. The judge saying he used his celebrity status, Hall was said to have suggested to two girls he could further their media careers, which he didn't or couldn't.

What if someone actually had the power to offer someone photo shoots, recording contracts or TV appearances are they more likely to get away with abuse, as the abused person might be grateful for the fame/work they got?
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    occy wrote: »
    ? :confused:they be lucky to send George Best to jail. He's dead.

You're obviously too young to recall Best's stint in jail, for drink-driving, in 1984/5.
  • Black VelvetBlack Velvet Posts: 702
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just read this. The BBC seemed to be a den of iniquity back then. This reads so like JS and the stuff that he got up to luring young girls.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2319605/BBC-man-called-The-Pimp-picked-girls-Stuart-Hall--filmed-having-sex.html
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

BIB - Absolutely spot on!!!. To compare what happens on a scripted show to what happened with Hall is laughable :mad:
  • kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

But then even that might include greeting somebody with a seemingly standard.kiss
    That's simply ridiculous and belittles issues like this.
  • Julie_EvansJulie_Evans Posts: 2,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Would that be the same Vic Reeves with a partner 18 years younger a former nightclub dancer and rather large glands, Nancy Sorell?

Are he and the character Keith Lemon really taking the mickey or just using as an excuse to behave in a certain way towards females and get away with it?

Some people were saying it was different in the 60's and 70's and in some ways it was but are the same things happening but in a more modern guise?

Are Loaded and FHM pokingfun at the top shelf mags of the 60's & 70's or produced for the same reasons but with a modern twist ?

So what if Vic's wife is younger than him?:confused: And what difference does it make if she has large boobs??? She was 29 when she married him - she wasn't some teenager.
  • occyoccy Posts: 65,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You're obviously too young to recall Best's stint in jail, for drink-driving, in 1984/5.

Oh no. I'm 44 thank you...

So why does the BBC have to pay Stuart Hall's victims compensation? He's alive.
  • anthony davidanthony david Posts: 14,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Full accurate details of Stewart Hall at BBC Manchester are in an article by Linda McDougal in today's Sunday Times.