The Walking Dead S3 (US Pace)

Comments

• Si_CreweSi_Crewe Posts: 40,202
    Forum Member
    Vintage06 wrote: »
    The number is about right.

Ricks assault on Woodbury killed about 12 people.

Michonne killed 3 when Merle hunted her down. Merle killed one.

Merle himself leaves.

Merle takes out '8' of the guvnors best fighters.

Milton. Guvernor his two cronies that survive. That's 29.

I'd say there was at least 25 people killed by the gov on the road back from the prison. (+ the girl that survived).

That's 55. So that leaves 15 and there was definately that many when Tyreese and Sasha were at Woodbury when the attack was happening.

and that's not including the couple of people who died when the Governer attacked the prison when he killed Axel.

Y'know, I wouldn't have bothered except that you insisted on labouring the point and your estimates are way out of whack so, here we go...

S3E03 (42:00): Woman Tells Andrea that the population of Woodbury is 73 people and one woman is pregnant.

S3E06 Mishone slices up 2 enforcers and Merle kills another.

S3E07: Old man dies as part of Milton's research.

S3E08: Various people get injured in attack on Woodbury to rescue Glenn and Maggie.
    Fortunately, we don't need to keep score because the numbers are mentioned later.

S3E09: Merle leaves Woodbury.

S3E09 (19:45) Andrea states that 9 people were injured during the assault.

S3E09 (26:30) Governor states that a total of 7 people have died as a result of Andrea's friend's actions. He lists the names and includes the people killed when Merle went to hunt Mishone as part of that number and the guy killed by the zombie in Woodbury.

So, let's pause and keep score.
    73 - old guy - 7 killed in conflict with Rick's group - Merle.
    Remaining population of Woodbury 64 people.

S3E10: Maggie shoots enforcer in Guard Tower during reprisal attack.

S3E11 (04:40): Milton tells the Governor that 20 people remain available and then revises that number to 35 including women and children older than 13.

It should be noted here that TV shows rarely show kids being killed so this might account for discrepancies which crop up later on, so we'll just go with the figure of 35 and accept it.

S3E11: Old women gets rejected from posse.

S3E15: Merle attacks Governors group. Fires 8 shots.

S3E16 (11:00): Governor states that he lost 8 men during Merle's attack.

So let's see the scores on the doors...

64 people - tower enforcer = 63 people.

34 people declared fit for posse duty means 29 people remain in Woodbury.

Merle kills 8 enforcers which leaves 26 people (including children) to attack the prison and 29 people in Woodbury.

S3E16: There's actually only around 16 people ever seen attacking the prison but that's okay because we can assume that, between Rick's crew, the zombies and the Governor, himself, the entire posse except The Governor, his 2 goons and the woman were killed.

So, where does that leave us?

On the bus, at the end, we should have seen 30 Woodbury residents (the 29 stay-at-homes + the woman they rescued out of the army truck).
    Instead, we see TWELVE.
    They get off the bus, walk into the prison in a line with Maggie and Glenn behind them.
    10 adults and a couple of babies.

That leaves the best part of 20 people unaccounted for.

I really don't like doing all this pedantic stuff but what I don't like even more is when people just make stuff up to support their own POV. :(
  • brangdonbrangdon Posts: 14,090
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just caught up... I was disappointed. I was expecting the assault on the prison to be a bigger deal. I gather it was anti-climatic because it wasn't intended as a climax, because they want to keep the prison and the governor plots going for another season.

I've long been a fan of Andrea (she didn't need to redeem herself with me), and I didn't like how her death was handled. Especially as it seemed she could easily have saved herself if she'd wasted less time. With her hands and feet free she ought to have done better. I'd rather she'd not freed herself and just get chomped in the chair.
    Si_Crewe wrote: »
    Even so, we're supposed to accept that they've been travelling for months over a period of years and yet, somehow, they've ended-up back within a day or so's travel of where they started?

And nobody questioned whether or not that was a good idea?
    I thought the first episode of this season, in the scene where they examined a map on the car before finding the prison, explained that they'd travelled in a big circle. Not because anyone though it was a good idea to return, but because they were hemmed in by big herds of walkers.
    I did wonder, at the time, why they couldn't just kinda chill out for a couple of days, wait for the zombies to move on and then head back to the farm, if only to pick up supplies before moving on.
    Agreed. One of my fears with zombies is being treed. My instinct is to remain mobile. When the farm got attacked, I'd quickly move out and then return later. If necessary, use a distraction to lead the zombies away. No point fighting such large numbers, not when they are so easily manipulated and (with a vehicle) you can out-run them so easily.
    Inky Binky wrote: »
    Carl is the wild card in the group. He's becoming psychotic and is a loose cannon. Poor kid is so damaged by what he has seen and done that I'm not sure he's going to come back from it. It wouldn't surprise me that if Carl continues his ways, someone in the group will put him out permanently. The kid is coldblooded.
    Wow. I don't agree. For me his decision was at most questionable. He's no more psychotic than, say, Michonne. Michonne would have left Morgan to die, if not actually killed him. He threatened her, so he gets no compassion. Yet Michonne isn't psychotic; she could deal with Merle joining the group. I don't see why Carl is worse, especially as he had sound reasoning to back up his decision. Herschel isn't necessarily right about things like this.

That bit with Carl was the best part of the episode for me.
    samboy wrote: »
    - They might introduce a love interest for Rick? Possibly Michonne or the lady that survived the Governor's massacre?
    I wouldn't rule out Beth. She's been acting as the mother of his baby, and she's shown signs of wanting to take it further. She's not got a lot of other options, and Rick being the leader would make a fine catch. (She could try for Daryl, but then she'd have to take on Carol, which might not be wise.)

Since there was a hint Carl had ideas about Beth (again, not many other options for him), this could lead to tension between Carl and Rick. I gather the Beth actress has been made a regular, so presumably the writers have something planned for her.
    Forum Member
    brangdon wrote: »
    I thought the first episode of this season, in the scene where they examined a map on the car before finding the prison, explained that they'd travelled in a big circle. Not because anyone though it was a good idea to return, but because they were hemmed in by big herds of walkers.

Just to pick up on that (again)....

In the first episode, Rick meets Morgan and Duane and gives them a radio, which he plans to use to stay in contact with them.

The range of those radio's is only a few miles across country so it can't be any great distance from Rick's hometown to Atlanta or he wouldn't have attempted to use the radio.

And then it's only about 20 miles from Atlanta to the prison so it's almost certain that, in total, they've travelled no great distance thoughout the 3 series and refutes the idea that it was some huge road-trip to get from the prison back to Rick's town.

Just seems a little unbelievable that they can be so close to where they started and yet still be unable to use geographical knowledge to their advantage.

I mean, they're 20 miles from Atlanta. Has it not occured to anybody to, say, go back to the hospital from S1, check in on the inhabitants and, maybe, offer them sanctuary in the prison if they have the food?

No biggie, really, but it's just a bit irksome.
    brangdon wrote: »
    Since there was a hint Carl had ideas about Beth (again, not many other options for him), this could lead to tension between Carl and Rick. I gather the Beth actress has been made a regular, so presumably the writers have something planned for her.

You might be onto something there.

A potential "love triangle" between Rick, Beth and Carl might be what sends Carl postal at some point?
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    For anyone that was wondering, Melissa confirmed on Twitter that she is a series regular. Doesn't really explain why she isn't in the opening credits but I'll take her word for it: :D

https://twitter.com/mcbridemelissa/status/319623201879638017

I would love to see her utilised more in Season 4.
  • starman700starman700 Posts: 3,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    J

I mean, they're 20 miles from Atlanta. Has it not occured to anybody to, say, go back to the hospital from S1, check in on the inhabitants and, maybe, offer them sanctuary in the prison if they have the food?

They do go back to the Hospital,it is a deleted scene from season 2 though and can be found on youtube.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 774
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Yeah they went back in a 'deleted' scene. They were gone with lots of blood stains. bodies and zombies there instead.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Parthenon wrote: »
    For anyone that was wondering, Melissa confirmed on Twitter that she is a series regular. Doesn't really explain why she isn't in the opening credits but I'll take her word for it: :D

https://twitter.com/mcbridemelissa/status/319623201879638017

I would love to see her utilised more in Season 4.

BIB. The fans said that about T-dog and look what happened as soon as they gave him a few more lines to say.

I like Carol, so I'm going to say continue in your lack of character development walking dead execs. :)
    Forum Member
    sootysoo wrote: »
    BIB. The fans said that about T-dog and look what happened as soon as they gave him a few more lines to say.

I like Carol, so I'm going to say continue in your lack of character development walking dead execs. :)

I'm no expert but, from what I've read about various telly shows, studios tend to want a specific number of people to be "core" members of the cast so if Melissa McBride is getting regular work on TWD without the makers having to force the studio to enlarge the offical "core" cast then I guess it shouldn't be a big deal.

I'm also a bit conflicted when it comes to Carol.
    On the one hand, I do think she deserves more screen time but, OTOH, it does seem like the peripheral characters only get the limelight just before they die so maybe it's better if she keeps her head down?

Will have a look on YT for the deleted scene.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Yeah they went back in a 'deleted' scene. They were gone with lots of blood stains. bodies and zombies there instead.

Is this the scene?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1zXQxy_-6RU
  • AddisonianAddisonian Posts: 16,377
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So hang on - Carol or Herschel still aren't going to be made season regulars in Season 4 but Beth is!?! Strange.
    Forum Member
    Addisonian wrote: »
    So hang on - Carol or Herschel still aren't going to be made season regulars in Season 4 but Beth is!?! Strange.

Maybe it's a contractual thing? That a cast member can't have a storyline of their own unless they're made part of the "core" cast?

Be interesting to see whether Beth survives Emily Kinney being made a regular. :p
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I'd seen the start of that scene (the walkers being killed in the yard) but not the rest.

Interesting that they were going with the idea of the Governor and his people being the ones who wiped out the Vatos.
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member

That's a good point. I want to see her and Daryl hook up but I guess I'll settle for her being a fringe character rather than being killed off. :D
  • DEADLY_17DEADLY_17 Posts: 9,262
    Forum Member

Never seen that deleted scene before:eek:

Was there a reference in S3 where the governor killed those at that hospital ? Or did they never mention the hospital after we last saw it in S1. Cant quite remember.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DEADLY_17 wrote: »

Was there a reference in S3 where the governor killed those at that hospital ? Or did they never mention the hospital after we last saw it in S1. Cant quite remember.

Wasn't really a hospital more an hospice/elderly care home. But i don't think it was mentioned again. Espeically not in Season 3.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

The Governor was seen to have the Bag of Guns that Rick took from his home town in the pilot. The Bag along with half the guns had been given to the Vatos at the old peoples home.

I'd forgotten that the Vatos had been given the bag and did wonder at the time where the Governor had got a bag marked Sheriffs department (or whatever it was) the same as Rick had.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Hmmm i've just watched that. Never saw all that. Only the beginning bit where they are outside the building.

Don't know why that was cut. Set up the governer way before he was due. Which was good.

Also shows more why Rick executed those two guys in the bar when on a supply run.

They also mentioned Jim. Forgot about him. I'm suprised they havn't brought him back in a cameo role as a zombie yet.
    Forum Member
    Can somebody remind me, who's "Andrew"?

I watched the last 2 episodes of S3 again last night, with the missus, and there's a reference to Rick killing (or not killing. I forget, TBH) "Andrew" and him "coming back".

I can't, for the life of me, remember who that might be. The guy in the barn in S2? :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Can somebody remind me, who's "Andrew"?

I watched the last 2 episodes of S3 again last night, with the missus, and there's a reference to Rick killing (or not killing. I forget, TBH) "Andrew" and him "coming back".

I can't, for the life of me, remember who that might be. The guy in the barn in S2? :confused:

Andrew is one of the prisoners. He's the one that ran off from Ricks group then released the zombies inside the prison which killed T-Dog (and kinda Lori).
    Forum Member
    Andrew is one of the prisoners. He's the one that ran off from Ricks group then released the zombies inside the prison which killed T-Dog (and kinda Lori).

Ah, him. :)

When they talked about "not killing him and he came back" I thought they meant as a zombie (sorta like the malarkey with the barn-prisoner in S2) but I guess they just meant that he came back into the prison to cause them hassle.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah, him. :)

When they talked about "not killing him and he came back" I thought they meant as a zombie (sorta like the malarkey with the barn-prisoner in S2) but I guess they just meant that he came back into the prison to cause them hassle.

Yeah Rick never pursueed him and killed him when he ran off. If he had. Lori (an T-dog) would still be alive..

That's why Rick battled his guilt etc afterwards.
  • johnson293johnson293 Posts: 1,527
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah Rick never pursueed him and killed him when he ran off. If he had. Lori (an T-dog) would still be alive..

That's why Rick battled his guilt etc afterwards.

In fairness, (from memory) he ran out into what appeared to be a closed yard/area full of walkers, then Rick closed the door and shut him out.... then it sounded like they had gotten him.

Rick probably didn't check, as he assumed there'd not be much left.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Addisonian wrote: »

Is Beth the one who breaks into song? I swear every time she starts singing I ff or mute.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    johnson293 wrote: »
    In fairness, (from memory) he ran out into what appeared to be a closed yard/area full of walkers, then Rick closed the door and shut him out.... then it sounded like they had gotten him.

Rick probably didn't check, as he assumed there'd not be much left.

Yeah he assumed. But he still had the guilt. That was well documented.
  • Inky BinkyInky Binky Posts: 2,261
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Walking Dead related news:

Some good news for US & Canadian viewers who enjoy watching "The Talking Dead" chat show. AMC just renewed it for a 3rd season. (LINK)

I was told that "The Talking Dead" doesn't air outside of North America so for those who don't know what it is, it's an hour-long chat program that airs after every new episode of "The Walking Dead". The program analyzes the "just-aired" episode with the help of guests - usually a member of the cast or crew along with another celebrity.