Hidden testcard

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
Forum Member
You can display the test card on any reasonably new Freeview receiver
using the following steps. Note that some older set top boxes do not
fully conform with the specifications and may be unable to access this
service.

1. Tune to the BBCi channel (currently ch. 105)
2. When the BBCi background appears, press Yellow (within 30 secs)
3. Tune away to a different channel
4. Tune back to the BBCi channel (currently ch. 105)
5. When the BBCi background appears, press Green (within 30 secs)
The word 'Secret' will appear in the top right hand corner
6. Wait until the status page appears
7. Enter 3, 3, 5, 8, 2, Red, Green, Yellow, Blue
(note "33582" spells out the word "DELTA" on a mobile phone keypad)
8. Wait approximately 30 seconds
Test card W will appear

have fun

Comments

• IanIan Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Excellent! I was waiting to reply with reference to April Fools and sarcastic smileys.......... but it's actually true!

The status page that starts with 'Secret' has been documented previously, but the key combination leading to TCW is a new one to me.
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    All we need now is a test tone to accompany the screen. :D

Thanks for this. :)
  • ProDaveProDave Posts: 11,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well I tried it on my PVR (Bush IDPVR801B).

It got as far as the Status page, but entering the code just got me a black screen, even after a long wait.

But, the front panel display on the PVR displayed UCL or something like that, which I have never seen before. Needed a re boot, so I guess it just chashed.
  • Pablo DiabloPablo Diablo Posts: 5,892
    Forum Member
    ProDave wrote: »
    It got as far as the Status page, but entering the code just got me a black screen, even after a long wait.

Same here on an Echostar T101+.
  • BoatmanBoatman Posts: 513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Workd fine on my Sony except that I can't get it to widescreen.
    What do the regional variations do?
  • Dan's DadDan's Dad Posts: 9,880
    Forum Member
    highwire wrote: »
    You can display the test card on any reasonably new Freeview receiver
    using the following steps.

Thanks for that.

It works on my Toshiba IDTV, but the Humax 9200 gives only the middle part of the card - just the circle - filling the screen.
    Can anyone confirm this?
    All we need now is a test tone to accompany the screen. :D
    Or even a CD of authentic testcard music of the 60's.

(Would that be better than birdsong on Oneword's former DAB channel??:))
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    highwire wrote: »
    8. Wait approximately 30 seconds
    Test card W will appear

Just a blank screen on the old IDTV, however my Sony displayed it as soon as I had pushed BLUE.

Very interesting - thanks.

If this is being broadcast then it should be a little less hidden away (perhaps in the BBCi Help menu somewhere), could be invaluable for people setting up new TVs.

I didn't know about the status page either, if BBCi knows which region you're in, why isn't this used for anything? (I never understood why they broadcast all the regions news on BBCi anyway, I'm not really interested in Yorkshire's local news unless it is important - in which case it will be in the national news anyway. This space could be better used for some of the Ceefax content that hasn't been transferred over.)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fantastic - mant thanks. Works OK on my cheap Alba boxes will test on Sony 870 DVDR later. Very useful for comparing static performance of prospective new LCD against my CRT

I have test card W and PM5544 on DVD already but this gives possibility of real off air comparison and set ups.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11
    Forum Member
    Brilliant! It actually works on my old Pace Twin.

Many thanks. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works on my Woolworth Worth It box:)

Pure nostalgia. Brings back memories of when I was a child and that test card was broadcast on BBC2 in the daytime. Ah I remember that phrase "BBC2 returns to a trade test transmission"

I tried changing my region on the "status" page, but can't see any difference.
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    This also works on my Strong SRT500T receiver. It took a long time to appear though.

Now it's time to bring back the old trade test colour films and don't forget to SIDE (Switch off, Isolate, Dump & Earth). I think that came from a film about nuclear reactors.
  • IanIan Posts: 1,328
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The interesting part of all this to me is that the first few steps (press yellow, then retune, then press green) are actually necessary - you can't just go in and press green. How/why is this? Surely the BBCi application ceases to be active as soon as you move off the channel, so then the box must be remembering your previous 'press yellow', but how/why does it do this?
  • BucksmanBucksman Posts: 1,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Does anyone know why this is even here?
  • saiorse44saiorse44 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    A glimpse into the closely guarded mechanics of the DTT platform methinks. :p
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,151
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Works on the Sony 870 DVDR as well.

For those getting nostalgic for older test cards I can remember Test Card C and the alternated "Demonstration Film"
  • Mike_1101Mike_1101 Posts: 8,012
    Forum Member
    Gilson wrote: »
    Works on the Sony 870 DVDR as well.

For those getting nostalgic for older test cards I can remember Test Card C and the alternated "Demonstration Film"

Bring those back too! What goes around comes around, who knows one day television might be worth watching again.
  • DXRulzDXRulz Posts: 4,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Works on my Wharfedale DVDRHD400F :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 782
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Works on my Pioneer PDP435XDE plasma - going to try my TopUpTV box soon! (Gulp!)
  • russellellyrussellelly Posts: 11,687
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    I didn't know about the status page either, if BBCi knows which region you're in, why isn't this used for anything? (I never understood why they broadcast all the regions news on BBCi anyway, I'm not really interested in Yorkshire's local news unless it is important - in which case it will be in the national news anyway. This space could be better used for some of the Ceefax content that hasn't been transferred over.)

I presume it's so that BBCi on Mux B channels is consistent with BBCi on Mux 1. I don't imagine there's any way the regional data could be found if Ch105 was on Mux B.

Also agree with Ian that the tuning in and out bit is interesting - maybe there's some status flag in a set top box that is activated initially, but it's have to be a part of the DVB spec if it were to exist. Very strange.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Works with the Nebula TV card, although it's 4:3 and i assume it's meant to be 16:9
  • albertdalbertd Posts: 14,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chrisy wrote: »
    I'm not really interested in Yorkshire's local news unless it is important - in which case it will be in the national news anyway. This space could be better used for some of the Ceefax content that hasn't been transferred over.)
    This is quite useful when, like me, you are close to regional borders. I receive from Crystal Palace, but my local news is sometimes on 'South East' and sometimes on 'South'.
  • NetizenNetizen Posts: 5,041
    Forum Member
    Very interesting! Has anyone found different pages if you set your box to the TEST region?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What puzzles me is who found this and how? they must have been given a nod from someone in the know. I can't believe someone is so bored they just tried pressing buttons and stumbled upon it.

I wonder what other gems are lurking there to be discovered.
  • saiorse44saiorse44 Posts: 294
    Forum Member
    I just get "service unavailable" or something on BBC red button services and also on ch.303 where ther was nothing before.
  • 3dom3dom Posts: 1,309
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    works ok for me on Wharfedale DV832B now showing BBC Widescreen Test Card.