Man Of Steel How bad is Russell Crowe!

marlmanmarlman Posts: 661
Forum Member
✭✭
Just watched Man of Steel and I enjoyed It the action scenes were excellent although some went on a bit.

But how bad an actor is Russell Crowe every scene with him in was tedious to watch. Compare him to Kevin Costner and Costner wins hands down. I thought he was excellent as his Earth father trying to make Clark do the right thing.

Anyway I'm glad I rented it and not bought it.

Comments

• YuffieYuffie Posts: 9,864
    Forum Member
    I preferred Crowes character to Costners. Acting was fine from both. Costners told his son he should have let a bus full of people die and he stood at the tornado waving goodbye to his son as he died, trying to prove some BS point. What an idiot of a father.
    Loved the film tho. Bring on the next one.
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yuffie wrote: »
    I preferred Crowes character to Costners. Acting was fine from both. Costners told his son he should have let a bus full of people die and he stood at the tornado waving goodbye to his son as he died, trying to prove some BS point. What an idiot of a father.
    Loved the film tho. Bring on the next one.

Agree. I thought Costner's character was beyond stupid and cowardly, and put out a very poor message to his son and the audience: "Don't be who you are, people won't accept you. Let them die of you have to"
  • Peter VenkmanPeter Venkman Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched this last night. Man did the battle scenes drag. The one at the end was overkill.

As for Crowe, well I felt I was just watching Maximus as a middle aged man. His wife was hot though.
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,201
    Forum Member
    ??? Disagree. Costner was worse imo. To be honest most people's performances were so-so at best. I did like Diane Lane.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    marlman wrote: »
    Just watched Man of Steel and I enjoyed It the action scenes were excellent although some went on a bit.

But how bad an actor is Russell Crowe every scene with him in was tedious to watch. Compare him to Kevin Costner and Costner wins hands down. I thought he was excellent as his Earth father trying to make Clark do the right thing.

Anyway I'm glad I rented it and not bought it.

I thought there was a clear difference between his portrayal of the real Jor-El and the "programme" version of the character. The later was deliberately emotionless and detached.
  • TributeTribute Posts: 820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I thought Costner's performance was absolutely brilliant. On the other hand, I hated every minute that Crowe was onscreen.
  • WhedoniteWhedonite Posts: 29,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only seen the film once and that was when it first came out, so my memory of it isn't brilliant, but I remember thinking that Russell Crowe was actually really good. I think he was the best actor in it.
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i thought they both did well.

costner wasnt a harsh person, he was just a loving protective dad living in todays gritty world. when clark pushed him on letting bus sink he said "maybe" almost in a "well i dont know really" way.
  • garbage456garbage456 Posts: 8,225
    Forum Member
    Don't like crowe at all but thought his acting was fine
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    whedon247 wrote: »
    i thought they both did well.

costner wasnt a harsh person, he was just a loving protective dad living in todays gritty world. when clark pushed him on letting bus sink he said "maybe" almost in a "well i dont know really" way.

Yes, totally agree about the bus scene. I've seen lots of people go on about how Jonathan Kent told Clark to let the kids on the bus die. He didn't. As you said, he reaction was clearly "I don't actually know what to do." He was a father with a son who was actually an alien. But he loved him as his son and was terrified the world would tear him apart. He reacted as a parent would and just wanted to protect him from harm and let him have a normal life.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm usually not keen on Russell Crow but I did really like him in this film. He was just 'right' for this role and played it perfectly.

I honestly felt Crow was the most charismatic actor in this movie.

I always feel that Costner can act but lacks screen presence. But in this film, it wasn't important for him to have screen presence because Superman is the star and should outshine him. So Costner was absolutely fine for his role too.
  • DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    Thought they both good.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I honestly felt Crow was the most charismatic actor in this movie.

I don't necessarily agree with that, but I do feel he was a massive plus for the film and made a very strong and interesting Jor-El. I liked all the cast tbh.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This film was bad all round to me . Crowe was trying to copy Brando’s performance in the original superman and failed. I actually liked Costner in this, he was in the role whereas Crowe was in some kind of pantomime farce, which to be fair wasn’t all his fault.

The worse acting was Michael Shannon as general zod, he was terrible as a bad guy and appeared to be doing some kind of joaquin phoenix impersonation just because he looks a bit like him. Tom Hardy would have been incredible in the role and might even have saved the film.

I liked Henry Cavill in the role although I thought he beefed up just a little too much. Considering what he had to work with he did very well.

The structure of the film was just strange. The krypton stuff was baffling, it was so bad I knew in the first minute the film was going to be dire, far too much CGI it was like a cartoon. The Zod stuff came far too quickly and it was just kind of mashed together with no real flow after the childhood stuff. The point where I gave up was when Superman flew through a skyscraper possibly killing a thousand people, this wasn’t referenced at all, did he even realize he just took a building out? Stuff like that just undermined what the character is all about. It’s a shame because it should have been much better and some of the pieces were in place. I liked Caveill better than Brandon Routh in the role.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the whole film was terrible. Such a joyless slog of a story, and not ALL superhero flicks need to be all dark and angsty. Don't get me wrong, I do think a more mature take on the Superman world could be done well in the right hands, but Zack Synder failed on every level.

I think it's rather unfair to single out Russell Crowe as being the main thing wrong with this film.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the whole film was terrible. Such a joyless slog of a story, and not ALL superhero flicks need to be all dark and angsty. Don't get me wrong, I do think a more mature take on the Superman world could be done well in the right hands, but Zack Synder failed on every level.

I think it's rather unfair to single out Russell Crowe as being the main thing wrong with this film.

Yeah Crowe was only one tiny problem compared to the others in this CGI effects mess.

I agree that they tried to do a Batman Begins style thing but it defiantly didn't work, or it seemed to for a second then undermined itself immediately. Nolan must have been embarrassed to have been associated with it.

I'm really surprised so many people liked it.
  • YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just this min watched it. Thought it was poor, just big scene after big scene between the odd little bit of a plot just to push it along. Didn't beat the Richard Donner Superman for me, was missing a lot.

What is it with all these modern day movies where its all crash bang wallop and require very little thought/imagination.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,293
    Forum Member
    Best Jor-El = Marlon Brando
    Best Jonathan Kent = Jon Schneider
    Best Lex = John Shea
    Best Lois = Terri Hatcher
    Best Martha Kent = Annette O'Toole
    Best Superman = Christopher Reeve
    Best Zod = Terrance Stamp
  • Naa_KwaKaiNaa_KwaKai Posts: 1,883
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Best Jor-El = Marlon Brando
    Best Jonathan Kent = Jon Schneider
    Best Lex = John Shea
    Best Lois = Terri Hatcher
    Best Martha Kent = Annette O'Toole
    Best Superman = Christopher Reeve
    Best Zod = Terrance Stamp

Sorry but John Schneider's Jonathan Kent was vile and pig ignorant. Glad he died.
    And Terrence Stamp's Zod was camp as Christmas.
    What is it with all these modern day movies where its all crash bang wallop and require very little thought/imagination.

I think Man of Steel is partly an overreaction to people's complaints about Superman Returns not having any action in it but man, did they go overboard. Asked for a slice and they gave us the entire cake.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much time had passed since the devastation of the battle and the final scene where Clark starts working at the Daily Planet? The buildings outside all seemed to be back in one piece with very little signs of damage.
  • Molly BloomMolly Bloom Posts: 2,318
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »

I'm really surprised so many people liked it.

Me too. I'm utterly dumbfounded, in fact.

I've liked Synder's work in the past - Sucker Punch is a favourite film of mine - but it was like he had no clue what he was doing with Man of Steel. I feel like the cast could have been very good in the right hands but they were wasted in this mess.
  • YorkshireKatYorkshireKat Posts: 690
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Man of Steel is partly an overreaction to people's complaints about Superman Returns not having any action in it but man, did they go overboard. Asked for a slice and they gave us the entire cake.

I agree, the ammount of destruction and the number of people likely killed was way to excessive and did not fit right in a Superman movie. How that will work out in the sequel I don't know. The "oh he had just started out he didn't give a thought about saving the screaming dying masses bar one or two soldiers" excuse is a bit far fetched.

But then it's a snyder movie so if it's anything like Man Of Steel it will be explained with a 20 second long scene before the moon blows up for the next 30 mins.
    How much time had passed since the devastation of the battle and the final scene where Clark starts working at the Daily Planet? The buildings outside all seemed to be back in one piece with very little signs of damage.

Exactly what I thought, one second everything is utterly destroyed then suddenly it's all fixed and everyones fine about it. And it didn't seem any significant ammount of time had passed at all.
  • performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At least a year or two could have passed between the climax and Clark starting at the Planet. I'm sure the devastation of the city will be one of the first things addressed in the sequel. Luthor will hate Superman from the get go because he probably destroyed half the buildings he owned!
  • circlebro2019circlebro2019 Posts: 17,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Helbore wrote: »
    Yes, totally agree about the bus scene. I've seen lots of people go on about how Jonathan Kent told Clark to let the kids on the bus die. He didn't. As you said, he reaction was clearly "I don't actually know what to do." He was a father with a son who was actually an alien. But he loved him as his son and was terrified the world would tear him apart. He reacted as a parent would and just wanted to protect him from harm and let him have a normal life.

yup my thoughts exactly

also worth pointing out MoS gets better with every rewatch imo, snyder did a really good job with the directing, action scenes are great but some really nice stylistic touhes there too.

picked some great locations for this film they did

in cinema i said 3/5 ,but on rewatch its a 4/5 for me

p.s hans zimmer is on fire too, hope he comes back to do score for sequel.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,864
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was way too busy wiping the drool off my chin to notice tbh. Henry Cahill, wowee!!

I did cry when Kevin Costner died though.