Madonna - MDNA 1st anniversary

2»

Comments

• Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    AdzPower wrote: »
    Hmm, I'm considering buying the complete studo albums 1984-2008, I've only got MDNA and Celebration so I think I need to expand my Madonna repetoire lol, I know most fans say that before Hard Candy (which I have heard briefly) she was amazing, which of course I know because of Celebration, but to listen to all the original albums for the first time would be a magical experience I think.

Ray Of Light is one of the greatest albums ever recorded imho.

She was a legend before that but that is the album what really made her the greatest woman in music.
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,837
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The album that marked the end of her having hit singles
  • gpkgpk Posts: 10,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Very good point. I'd have liked it better if it had been anyone else. I expect something more from Madonna. I want a classic album every time - which I got with every album up to 2005. I felt that this was an updated version of those dreadful 'early years' songs like 'Cosmic Climb' and 'Wild Dancing', or whatever they were called.

there were some generic songs sure, but the whole album wasn't like that though.:confused: the singles were indeed generic and safe sounding, even if `girl gone wild` remains a personal highlight for me.:o however, the was a lot more depth elsewhere on the record in songs like `masterpiece`, `love spent`, `i f**d up` and `falling free`. elsewhere there were electronic driven tracks like `i`m addicted`, `some girls` and `gang bang`, in fairness the record is quite diverse in places.

the problem in my opinion was that the singles were not particularly up to scratch, there was a lack of physical promotion, the record lacked a consistent direction and there were some of duff tracks on there when you consider the deluxe edition.:o you do have a point about people excepting more from madonna and after the singles failed to impact, i dare say casual listeners were put off. i guess different people like different things, i certainly find mdna a better listen compared to one or two of her earlier albums.
  • Chris_WaltonChris_Walton Posts: 235
    Forum Member
    Gang Bang - Does she sing about taking 10 cocks in an orgy? :D

well it's more fun than calling it Gangland Shooting ;)
  • Hit Em Up StyleHit Em Up Style Posts: 12,141
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dd68 wrote: »
    The album that marked the end of her having hit singles

Actually Give Me All Your Luvin' would have, and was on course to, charted high both here and in the US had it not been for thousands of sales being discounted due to the album pre order mistake.

Not making excuses for Girl Gone Wild and Turn Up The Radio flopping but GMAYL wasn't the flop people make out. It wouldn't have been her usual number 1 comeback but she would have been top 10 in the UK for sure and was on course for a top 5 billboard placing, as it happened she ended up having to settle for 10 on the billboard.

She missed a huge trick with Masterpiece not being pulled out as a single once she won the Golden Globe. The thing you have to remember about Madonna is that she has covered many genres now, which means fans who like her at different points in her career. Some like the pop Madonna, some like the more serious ballad Madonna and some like the more indie Madonna. So all fans will never be happy.

Thing I find odd about MDNA is that this is the first time it ever felt like Madonna took her eye of the ball. The album doesn't really flow that well. It goes from generic to serious. There is no middle ground. Its very odd to have her singing silly tracks like Girl Gone Wild and then having her being self retrospective on Falling free. They just don't belong on the same album which is why it doesn't really work. Its very much like Bedtime Stories in that respect.

The tour on the otherhand had a story and a direction. It was all about freedom, standing up for what you believe in and not being afraid. If MDNA had been that she would have been the Madonna we all know.

Is Madonna over though? no way. Love Spent, Falling Free, Masterpiece, I ****ed Up. All prove she still has the classic Madonna within her. She just needs to focus less on trying to get radio play now and be real to the artist she is. Ditch the guest stars on singles. The Justin thing worked but Nicki/MIA thing was sightly desperate. Once upon a time Madonna wouldn't have given a shit about being on the radio, she seemed to address this in Hollywood, but maybe age is starting to unsettle her a little. It must be very annoying to have people like Lady Gaga basically doing everything you did first 20 years ago and having success with it. I do believe this has derailed her vision a bit but I suppose we never really know what goes on behind closed doors..people say Madonna should ditch Guy but I don't believe Guy is the problem. Madonna did say herself at the time of W.E she was lacking creativity. I think that showed very much this era.
  • rebellionrebellion Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Standouts for me are;

Gang Bang
    Girl Gone Wild
    Im Addicted
    Love Spent <3
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can only speak for myself but at the time you wouldn't even have known there were new singles coming out because of the zero amount of promotion. It was shocking.

I do have faith in the next era definitely. I mean she is already working on it and has been for a good while, so not a rush job.

That can only be a great thing, getting demo recordings sorted and in her head a sense of direction.

I mean right now she is editing the Tour DVD/Blu Ray and focusing on the secret Klein project....i do think this may stem off into a new album.

And i do agree with comments that said basically from 1983 - 2005 Madonna released one great/,asterful album after the next...a true definition in Pop cemented....you cannot argue it...even when she was backlashed it was a case of HER and not a lack thereof.....The First Album - COADF felt like a full circle to a degree also...a sense of direction and evolution...Hard Candy if it was dealt with better i feel may have rounded a full circle off better perhaps...i mean it has sounds that echo to TFA a lot....MDNA is in the same ship...it feels more like a re-debut vibe for a new label and commercial success only without that commerciality aspect.

1982 - 2007 saw a massive reign of Madonna in every media platform....heck you could say even in 2008....but somehow its all gone a bit awry to a degree....and as said prior....despite the lack of commercial success/reception...MDNA ensured Madonna name alone was spread in different platforms (Social networking, every few TV spots were events, and the tour was in most headlines) but i do hope nsomething old skool is taken into album 13...i do definitely think that if she takes her "film passion" into the studio....something truly great may happen.

i mean gang bang, Love Spent, Beautiful Killer were later recordings for the album post-W.E promotion (Oct/Nov 2011) so why it was cut short feels absud...but alas material in time for the tour was the main point here.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 101
    Forum Member
    After her Superbowl performance last year, and the huge change in political stance in America, I reckon that Madonna could easily find herself back onto the airwaves in America, all she needs is some good music!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After her Superbowl performance last year, and the huge change in political stance in America, I reckon that Madonna could easily find herself back onto the airwaves in America, all she needs is some good music!

Thats the thing....MDNA ensured she continued her record run of top 10 hits-per-decade Stateside whereas in Europe Madonna didnt quite manage that espite what was initially preented...and indeed could/should have happened with Luvin...and Luvin would have ensured ore airplay had it been a top 10 hit...heck Radio 1 played it for its first week and then it charted so very low and was pulled basically....but the potential is there.

And definitely, i think the Superbowl had oft-proven that Madonna is still sublimely relevant despite the hysteria of negativity before her erformance, it was the most watched live event in American TV history as a result of this for her show alone....and the fact was that 30 years in she is still on top of her game most definitely....so she is secure Stateside forevermore which is a sublime position to be in!
  • Terry HesticlesTerry Hesticles Posts: 267
    Forum Member
    Why Beautiful Killer was never released as a single God only knows. I love Gang Bang and Masterpiece too. All in all, the album is much better than Hard Candy which IMO is the worst Madonna album ever.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why Beautiful Killer was never released as a single God only knows. I love Gang Bang and Masterpiece too. All in all, the album is much better than Hard Candy which IMO is the worst Madonna album ever.

Thats funny as i view HC and MDNA on that same level....HC is more cohesive whereas MDNA has more variation both combined would have been another perfect album...but alas....but i do get so much enjoyment still out of both :)

And yeah Beautiful Killer should have been relesed soo nafter her Olympia gig in France after that mash up piece of genius performance with Die ANother Day! i mean seriously....its a KILLER song to perform live with that routine...the Deluxe edition woul have had a boost in sales for MDNA too worldwide had it been with a slick old skool B&W video based on the movies of Alain Delon....but alas...