Cant copy from Sky+ to DVD recorder

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
Forum Member
Can anyone tell me what we are doing wrong. We have Sky+ and bought a DVD recorder to free up some space on the hard drive. We can only record BBC and ITV channels all the rest come up with a copy protected message. We took one DVD recorder back and bought a different make but are still getting the same message. Driving us mad please any advice, is it us????:mad:

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 303
    Forum Member
    Out of interest what are you trying to record? It may be that your source has macrovision protection and your DVD recorder won't copy protected source - have you checked the DVD documentation for references to this?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5
    Forum Member
    We are just trying to tape normal sky channels no box office or pay per view stuff. It wont even let us record Channel 5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 150
    Forum Member
    Are you using scart to scart?

We have a DVD recorder connected to SKY+ with no probs??

Hope you get it sorted!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 415
    Forum Member
    KKF wrote:
    Can anyone tell me what we are doing wrong. We have Sky+ and bought a DVD recorder to free up some space on the hard drive. We can only record BBC and ITV channels all the rest come up with a copy protected message. We took one DVD recorder back and bought a different make but are still getting the same message. Driving us mad please any advice, is it us????:mad:

Its a bug.

First step, power the Sky+ off at the mains and leave it for a minute before switching back on. This cures a percentage of these problems.

If that doesn't work, find a macrovision removing Scart lead.
    macrovision isnt being output by Sky+ but it seems that some Sky boxes under some circumstances (unknown) generate a signal that is mistaken for macrovision protection.
    Forum Member
    at the moment we have a scart lead from (vcr scart) point of the sky+ box to the (av2 ext) point on the dvd recorder,
    from the (av1 tv) point of the dvd recorder to the tv,
    from the (tv scart) point of the sky+ box to the tv.
    then an rfcable from (rf out1) one the sky+ box to the (rf in) on the dvd recorder from the (rf out) of dvd recorder to rf in on tv
    the dvd recorder is a panasonic DMR-EZ25EB
    it is recording from sky+ and planner ok but only bbc and itv
    so what do you think????
    have i done somthing stupid????? :o
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,579
    Forum Member
    KKF wrote:
    at the moment we have a scart lead from (vcr scart) point of the sky+ box to the (av2 ext) point on the dvd recorder,
    then an rfcable from (rf out1) one the sky+ box to the (rf in) on the dvd recorder from the (rf out) of dvd recorder to rf in on tv
    so what do you think????

My set up (no problems) is:

sky + tv scart to dvd input scart

dvd output scart to tv

this gives a better quality recording as only the tv scart has rgb
    Forum Member
    KKF wrote:
    so what do you think????

IF you can pass through the signal from the Sky+ TV scart to the DVD and then to TV it should be better quality. MIght also remove any macrovision issues seems less likely the bug would be on the TV scart.

Also, dont see the point in the RF lead going to the DVD, are you ever going to record terrestrial TV onto the the DVD? You could just go direct from Sky to TV with the rf.
  • michaelvartanmichaelvartan Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    IF you can pass through the signal from the Sky+ TV scart to the DVD and then to TV it should be better quality. MIght also remove any macrovision issues seems less likely the bug would be on the TV scart.

Also, dont see the point in the RF lead going to the DVD, are you ever going to record terrestrial TV onto the the DVD? You could just go direct from Sky to TV with the rf.
    Macrovision ,when output is sent via both scarts and even via RF so you won't get round it.

If you are recording from BBC and ITV successfully try some other FTA stuff like QVC.

I have seen this problem before with encrypted channels (which C4/C5 are even though they are free) and its a card problem
    Forum Member
    Right, we have set it up as suggested and also turned sky+ box off for a while to let it re-boot, but its still the same. Will try and get a macrovision removing scart lead tomorrow. But any more hints would be good. Could it be that we have a duff Sky+ box ???
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KKF wrote:
    Right, we have set it up as suggested and also turned sky+ box off for a while to let it re-boot, but its still the same. Will try and get a macrovision removing scart lead tomorrow. But any more hints would be good. Could it be that we have a duff Sky+ box ???

This has happened to me once recently; specifically when I tried to record ep 4 of David Starkey's Monarchy which I'd Sky +ed from Channel 4. It never happened before and hasn't since with any channel (including Channel 4) and remains a mystery to me. But it's one of those little bizarre mysteries that those of us who have had Sky + for some time have grown used to... ;)
  • Orry VerducciOrry Verducci Posts: 2,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's also worth mentioning that all Discovery channels are now constantly copy protected (for some annoying reason).
    Forum Member
    Good point from michael, I had forgotten other people have fixed this with a new card, this will save you £20 over a SCART lead if you can find a CSR who believes or understands the problem.
    Forum Member
    Thanks for your help. We have sorted it today. Finally managed to speak to someone in the technical Dept at sky, who after taking all the details and testing the box, re-set it from their end and it is now working fine. So happy ending Ahhhhhhhhhh.
  • michaelvartanmichaelvartan Posts: 435
    Forum Member
    It's also worth mentioning that all Discovery channels are now constantly copy protected (for some annoying reason).

This sounds like another glitch.

Discovery is not copy protected.

Just to make sure I just recorded from my Sky box onto my DVD Recorder from all Discovery channels without problem.

Its also worth noting that the usual Sonel Macro removal leads seem to have doubled to £40.

I think they have added some functionality to it to get round changes in the law
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 and Channel 4 programmes with my set up are copy protected, but if I wait for the channel 4 prog to be shown on E4 it records no probs :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    Are you finding that you can record onto your DVD recorder previously un-recordable recordings, once the problem has been fixed?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30
    Forum Member
    I had a problem copying Channel Five from sky+ to a DV camera. I got a de-macrovision box off Ebay (under £40), and the problem was solved.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,087
    Forum Member
    think phoning tech department like kkf is the way forward
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 204
    Forum Member
    Panasonic do seem to be a problem brand recording from sky acording to my local service centre there are also alot of rebaged models made by panasonic also, i have had the odd problem though with a pioneer model what was your first brand as you said you changed it kkf
  • davidandersdavidanders Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    Arazi440 wrote:
    Channel 5 and Channel 4 programmes with my set up are copy protected, but if I wait for the channel 4 prog to be shown on E4 it records no probs :confused:

Then you have a fault.

There seems to be more and more of these budget dvd recorders having their copy protection incorrectly triggered.

Only Sky Box Office is copy protected.

Any programming that is protected should have a C (or is it a P) on the programme info banner
  • davidandersdavidanders Posts: 242
    Forum Member
    smartbuy wrote:
    Panasonic do seem to be a problem brand recording from sky acording to my local service centre there are also alot of rebaged models made by panasonic also, i have had the odd problem though with a pioneer model what was your first brand as you said you changed it kkf

I never had problems with my Panasonic HDD/DVDR.

I've also had 2 other Pioneer models aswell as the 2 different Pioneer ones I have now and copy protection is not an issue.
  • plateletplatelet Posts: 26,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No problems with my panny either but...

Rumour has it that this is caused by setting the programs to "KEEP" in the planner, take that off before you start the copying and it shouldn't be an issue.

I think it treats KEEP like box office progs, using the same routines anyway - hence the occasional fault of a box office program getting stuck in the planner and being undeleteable
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    platelet wrote:
    No problems with my panny either but...

Rumour has it that this is caused by setting the programs to "KEEP" in the planner, take that off before you start the copying and it shouldn't be an issue.

I think it treats KEEP like box office progs, using the same routines anyway - hence the occasional fault of a box office program getting stuck in the planner and being undeleteable

I have a Panny EX75 and that records no problems even with KEEP in the planner (which I automatically do for all my progs). At least it did from my Amstrad PVR2 I haven't tried it with the Pace PVR3 yet.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 249
    Forum Member
    So glad I found this thread. I've been dumping stuff to my Panasonic DVD recorder for years, but suddenly, when recording, all I get is a DVD full of white noise.

I'll try rebooting the box tonight and also removing the Keep tag from the programmes.

Thanks,

Mike.