Next Of Kin and smartphone password

nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
Forum Member
Earlier this year my uncle sent to my father a package to be opened in the event of his death.
He passed away at the weekend.
My father is now in possession of my uncle's smartphone but which is too new to have been mentioned in that package.
The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 (SIII) on Orange contract.
It is locked with the pattern lock screen for which we have not found a password or pattern written down.

I understand that if the phone is unlocked via the factory reset method (power/volume, Linux boot screen) then the data currently stored (contacts, apps, and possibly a Video Will) will be erased,
As yet we have not come across a record of a Google account and password. These may be on his laptop, for which a similar problem exists.

Does anyone have any ideas how to unlock the phone whilst preserving all data, please?

Comments

• Thine WonkThine Wonk Posts: 17,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nvingo wrote: »
    Earlier this year my uncle sent to my father a package to be opened in the event of his death.
    He passed away at the weekend.
    My father is now in possession of my uncle's smartphone but which is too new to have been mentioned in that package.
    The phone is a Samsung Galaxy S3 (SIII) on Orange contract.
    It is locked with the pattern lock screen for which we have not found a password or pattern written down.

I understand that if the phone is unlocked via the factory reset method (power/volume, Linux boot screen) then the data currently stored (contacts, apps, and possibly a Video Will) will be erased,
    As yet we have not come across a record of a Google account and password. These may be on his laptop, for which a similar problem exists.

Does anyone have any ideas how to unlock the phone whilst preserving all data, please?

I just replied to the thread in the PC forum!, this one might be a bit more tricky. I think you'll have to do a hard reset if you don't know the google account details. Remember that you could try the micro SD card separately though in another device.
  • nvingonvingo Posts: 8,619
    Forum Member
    Thank you TW.
    I haven't explored the phone but if it has a MicroSD card of course I can investigate that outside of the phone.
  • tealadytealady Posts: 26,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it's a pattern lock, you could study the screen and see if you can see the smear patterns that make up the pattern.

When/if you get into the pc, you may find that he is logged into his google account, so you might find the username and possibly get a password reset. If not logged in, then typing a letter (from A to Z) in the username box should bring up some options.
    Forum Member
    tealady wrote: »
    If it's a pattern lock, you could study the screen and see if you can see the smear patterns that make up the pattern.
    He was a heavy smoker. Everything he owns was covered in a film of nicotine or smelled strongly of it. The laptop and S3 have been thoroughly cleaned before we even powered them :(
    tealady wrote: »
    When/if you get into the pc, you may find that he is logged into his google account, so you might find the username and possibly get a password reset. If not logged in, then typing a letter (from A to Z) in the username box should bring up some options.
    Good points, thankyou.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 339
    Forum Member
    Hi, weve just recently had the same problem with my dads phone. Was your uncle quite elderly? If so he may have written his passwords down in a little book somewhere yet to be discovered as my dad had. Possibly try an old army number? Ive got an iphone and galaxy ace both brand new that i can use cos they caant be unlocked becsause only my dad has authority to request an unlock code from them even though Ive told them he passed away 4 weeks ago. Good luck with it.
    Forum Member
    I've just found a text file on a memory card that alludes to contain the googlemail account name/pw, created around the time he took possession of the S3.
    I'll verify that on my PC, if it works we'll try it on the S3 later and I'll report back.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You could also turn the phone off. when off, press the HOME, POWER and Volume UP all t the SAME TIME for about 5 seconds.

You will then enter the recovery menu. Using the volume up/down scroll to reset. Do a reset and it will be as factory.
  • m4tt24m4tt24 Posts: 843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    artnada wrote: »
    You could also turn the phone off. when off, press the HOME, POWER and Volume UP all t the SAME TIME for about 5 seconds.

You will then enter the recovery menu. Using the volume up/down scroll to reset. Do a reset and it will be as factory.

They want to preserve the uncles data as mentioned in the OP.
  • c4rvc4rv Posts: 29,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    artnada wrote: »

they want to preserve the data, doing a factory reset will wipe it.
  • artnadaartnada Posts: 10,113
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ah right.