Sex & The City

MrsDavidTennantMrsDavidTennant Posts: 1,760
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I wasn't really old enough to watch Sex and the City when it was first on, but now with the film coming out and interest in the show again do you think it is worth me getting the DVDs? I do fancy watching them but I am interested in what others say about the show

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/738877/Sex-and-The-City-Seasons-1-6-Box-Set/Product.html

Just under 100 pounds!

Worth it?

Comments

• Reality SucksReality Sucks Posts: 28,538
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are showing it on one of the freeview channels (fiver I think) every Wednesday from 9.00 PM a double bill. You've missed a few, but they are definitely worth watching.
  • MrsDavidTennantMrsDavidTennant Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They are showing it on one of the freeview channels (fiver I think) every Wednesday from 9.00 PM a double bill. You've missed a few, but they are definitely worth watching.

I don't mind buying, I like to watch them at my own pace, you know watch loads at once or just a couple here and now..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't mind buying, I like to watch them at my own pace, you know watch loads at once or just a couple here and now..

Most of the episodes are on youtube in full so you could definitely watch a few of the episodes on there before deciding whether to buy the DVD's.
  • MrsDavidTennantMrsDavidTennant Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Most of the episodes are on youtube in full so you could definitely watch a few of the episodes on there before deciding whether to buy the DVD's.

Ah ok, I will check that out, thanks for that :)
  • pabs1904pabs1904 Posts: 4,036
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wasn't really old enough to watch Sex and the City when it was first on, but now with the film coming out and interest in the show again do you think it is worth me getting the DVDs? I do fancy watching them but I am interested in what others say about the show

http://www.play.com/DVD/DVD/4-/738877/Sex-and-The-City-Seasons-1-6-Box-Set/Product.html

Just under 100 pounds!

Worth it?

I saw Zavvi instore doing them for £60 a couple of weeks ago.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 23,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall I enjoyed the SATC. I liked Samantha's character and there were some really witty and saucy lines in the show. As Sarah Jessica Parker was also the executive producer it meant she insisted she was never shown naked and always wore a bra even in the apparent heights of passion which was rather irritating! I was never interested in the clothes or the shoes and some of the sexual politics were rather suspect at times in my view (but then it was helmed by gay men, who probably thought at the time that a story about four 30-something gay New Yorkers would have sunk without trace.;) )
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,210
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    pabs1904 wrote: »
    I saw Zavvi instore doing them for £60 a couple of weeks ago.
    I've seen it in HMV for £45 once.
  • glyn9799glyn9799 Posts: 7,391
    Forum Member
    i went shopping yesterday and bought seasons 5 & 6 (£15 from zavvi.) They called out to me when I went through the door and i just had to buy them :p I watched disc 1 of S5 last night, disc 2 tonight :p I love it
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,005
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You can get it for like 60 quid in places. But the programme is everything i hate.

"Can constructive criticism ever be DEstructive?" Jesus christ...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 112
    Forum Member
    I absolutely love Sex & The City & can't wait for the film. I bought the complete shoebox set for £49 in Virgin Megastore (now Zavvi) about a 12/18 months ago but it will probably cost alot more now with the film coming out. Even though I have the complete set, I still watch the repeats on Paramount Comedy.

Although it was worth every penny I paid for it, I'd suggest that you watch some of the episodes currently showing on TV (Paramount/Fiver) to see whether or not you like it & wait for the film hype to die down. Put it on your Christmas present list;)
  • KittyKinsKittyKins Posts: 1,184
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it, bought the shoebox for about £70 2 odd years ago. Gonna watch them again methinks in time for the movie :D
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Just under 100 pounds!

Worth it?

you can get the shoebox set for half that on ebay and in HMV.

and, as a dude who watched the entire thing, i can say i actually quite liked it.
  • JaystarJaystar Posts: 4,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As a dude who watched the entire thing, I can say I actually quite liked it.
    Me too.

:)

You get a much better sense of the developing story lines when watching them back to back on DVD (compared to the fragmented sporadic airings of episodes on TV).
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,973
    Forum Member
    not sure how old this thread is, apologies. :) Ordered my boxset today (48.99, play.com) gonna watch it over the weekend if it arrives in time, with lovely food (that's really bad for you!) :)

I was too young to watch it when it was all the rage too. I think I was about 9 :D
  • sands11sands11 Posts: 700
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I love it and have all the series and film on DVD. I bought all the series seperately from ebay, probably worked out more expensive than just getting the box set.

My daughters who are 16 and 17 watch it now and love it too. We will all be going to see the new film when it comes out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strange, I'm just watching the Women of Sex and the City THS! :D
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,476
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No need for the boxset. Just tune into Paramount every night and you'll get 2 episodes at a time for free.
    Forum Member
    Silence208 wrote: »
    Strange, I'm just watching the Women of Sex and the City THS! :D

I was watching that too.
    Forum Member
    box set has been dispatched. :) that's my weekend sorted, provided it arrives in time. :D
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The series are available seperately for £7 each in a local shop here, so for £42 I can get them all, but with no fancy shoe-box to hold them in. I'm tempted, I quite like the show myself.
    Forum Member
    Paddy C wrote: »
    The series are available seperately for £7 each in a local shop here, so for £42 I can get them all, but with no fancy shoe-box to hold them in. I'm tempted, I quite like the show myself.

typical. the cheapest I could find them were £12 each round where I live.:(
  • musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    Loads of girls i know are into this since the first movie i came out

I might wait for the boxset where it includes both movies as well as the six series. Or just stick to paramount reruns. They show like 3 episodes a night.
    Forum Member
    musicdude wrote: »
    Loads of girls i know are into this since the first movie i came out

I might wait for the boxset where it includes both movies as well as the six series. Or just stick to paramount reruns. They show like 3 episodes a night.

Ooh I hadn't thought of that.:( oh well, i'll pick the films up seperately :D I like SATC but I hope they don't make any more films. 2 is enough.
  • musicdudemusicdude Posts: 8,939
    Forum Member
    I agree. I take it the rumor of filming the third one back2back was false.

To answer the question, 100 pound aint worth it. They are selling the complete series of it for 50 quid in HMV. It was 40 back in the xmas sales. Now that is bargin.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 988
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Absolutely worth it, you'll never tire of watching them.