Doctor Who: Doctors Revisited on BBC America

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
Forum Member
For US Doctor Who fans, it looks like BBC America is airing a new set of specials this year. The schedule for Sunday, January 27 has just been posted, and this nighttime entry appears:

9-11pm
Doctor Who: Doctors Revisited (NEW)
The First Doctor

The episode description is currently empty, but my guess is that like the recent BBC America "Best of..." DW shows, this will be a mixture of DW clips and US (and maybe UK) personalities discussing the First Doctor.

If the First Doctor is getting a 2-hour special to himself, perhaps BBC America will be airing 10 more specials throughout the year!

Comments

• CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Good to see but It would be nice if "Taking over Television" included UK Television and not just the U.S and Oz/New Zealand. :D
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Good to see but It would be nice if "Taking over Television" included UK Television and not just the U.S and Oz/New Zealand. :D

My theory is that what Moffatt was alluding to was that the Doctor is going to be the next Director General. Obviously he'll be too modest just to schedule his own programme though, so there'll be no change from that point of view.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 104
    Forum Member
    According to a post today at Doctor Who News, the "Doctor Who: Doctors Revisited" series on BBC America is actually old Doctor Who episodes!!

Once a month for the next 11 months, BBC America will air one story from each of the 11 Doctors (presumably each one on a Sunday night from 9-11pm, like this first special).

The January 27 special is the four-part, First Doctor story "The Aztecs." I guess this means that Doctors 2-7 will each get a four-part story, while Doctor Who: The Movie will air for the Eighth Doctor (as it is his only story!), and Doctors 9-11 will most likely each get a two-part story.
  • CoalHillJanitorCoalHillJanitor Posts: 15,634
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diditagain wrote: »
    According to a post today at Doctor Who News, the "Doctor Who: Doctors Revisited" series on BBC America is actually old Doctor Who episodes!!

Once a month for the next 11 months, BBC America will air one story from each of the 11 Doctors (presumably each one on a Sunday night from 9-11pm, like this first special).

The January 27 special is the four-part, First Doctor story "The Aztecs." I guess this means that Doctors 2-7 will each get a four-part story, while Doctor Who: The Movie will air for the Eighth Doctor (as it is his only story!), and Doctors 9-11 will most likely each get a two-part story.

Nice to see them doing that, as the earlier Doctors probably aren't well known in America. Also bodes well for some good 50th anniversary material if they are preparing the ground like that.

Tomb of the Cybermen seems a likely one for Troughton ... although they could conceivably squeeze The Mind Robber into that time.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    The Aztecs is a great choice. Really good story, action, romance, moral quandary and Barbara is a goddess.
  • Philip_LambPhilip_Lamb Posts: 287
    Forum Member
    Do BBC America pay for the rights to the show, seeing as the BBC keeps claiming that its a totally seperate entity from BBC
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Do BBC America pay for the rights to the show, seeing as the BBC keeps claiming that its a totally seperate entity from BBC
    Yes
    Though since they would be paying BBC Worldwide which also owns them I'm sure the company accountants work it out in such a way as to benefit both BBC WW and BBCA.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    The Aztecs is a great choice. Really good story, action, romance, moral quandary and Barbara is a goddess.

And the First Doctor is at his most charming.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Yes
    Though since they would be paying BBC Worldwide which also owns them I'm sure the company accountants work it out in such a way as to benefit both BBC WW and BBCA.

They treat them as separate companies as they have to publish accounts every year
    Forum Member
    Just wanted to let everyone know that the format of the 11 "Doctors Revisited" specials, at least in the US, has been revised somewhat. Each "special" is actually a retrospective on the particular Doctor (these were announced earlier in the week, right?) followed by one of that Doctor's stories. Not sure if the UK will follow the same format or just show the retrospectives.

The schedule for this Sunday, January 27, is as follows (according to the BBC America schedule online):

9:00-9:40pm - Doctors Revisited: The First Doctor
    9:40-12:00am - Doctors Revisited: The Aztecs
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    diditagain wrote: »
    Just wanted to let everyone know that the format of the 11 "Doctors Revisited" specials, at least in the US, has been revised somewhat. Each "special" is actually a retrospective on the particular Doctor (these were announced earlier in the week, right?) followed by one of that Doctor's stories. Not sure if the UK will follow the same format or just show the retrospectives.

The schedule for this Sunday, January 27, is as follows (according to the BBC America schedule online):

9:00-9:40pm - Doctors Revisited: The First Doctor
    9:40-12:00am - Doctors Revisited: The Aztecs

Probably the same retrospectives, 25 minutes UK and 40 minutes US with commercials.
  • nebogipfelnebogipfel Posts: 8,375
    Forum Member
    Probably the same retrospectives, 25 minutes UK and 40 minutes US with commercials.

No wonder they invented a machine that can automatically skip advertisements. I bet the Mute button is the first to wear out on US remote controls. Gawd bless the BBC and its unique funding , detective in a wheelbarrow, three blokes in a bathtub etc etc.
  • TEDRTEDR Posts: 3,413
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nebogipfel wrote: »
    No wonder they invented a machine that can automatically skip advertisements. I bet the Mute button is the first to wear out on US remote controls. Gawd bless the BBC and its unique funding , detective in a wheelbarrow, three blokes in a bathtub etc etc.

I stayed in New York a few weeks ago; I channel surfed on the TV in my hotel room for half an hour and managed to find less than five minutes of actual programming.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seems to be the case.

Last nights featured Moffat, Tennant, Barrowman, William Russell and Peter Purves plus others and I doubt they would get all of those people to record 2 different versions of the same show.
    Forum Member
    It was nice to see people directly connected to Doctor Who (not US "personalities" simply saying how much they love Doctor Who), including two of the First Doctor's companions, discussing the show.

Here in the US, the 40-minute block labeled "Doctors Revisited: The First Doctor" on BBC America's schedule actually had 28 minutes of content, (which is in line with normal commercial rates per hour in the US) -- the proper 25-minute First Doctor retrospective plus a 3-minute introduction to The Aztecs by Steven Moffat. I'm assuming Moffat filmed introductions for all 11 stories that will air after these retrospectives.

And I suppose I'll predict that the 11 25-minute retrospectives will appear as bonus materials on the DVD of the 50th anniversary special, since it seems like the perfect place for them:

Disc 1 - 50th anniversary special, plus maybe deleted scenes and behind the scenes featurettes
    Disc 2 - Doctors Revisited 1-6
    Disc 3 - Doctors Revisited 7-11

While the retrospective was only 25 minutes, it provided a concise summary of the First Doctor's tenure. Regeneration was not discussed, so my guess is that the beginning of the Second Doctor retrospecitve will mention/show the regeneration (same for the beginning of the Third Doctor retrospective, etc.).
  • joe_000joe_000 Posts: 525
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are we getting this in the uk?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    joe_000 wrote: »
    Are we getting this in the uk?
    Probably.

As said above the US's 40 min programme seems to be the same length (ads included) as the 25 min programme we are getting per Doctor so they are most likely the same.

It remains to be seen if we get the Talking head show attached to a Story and if the story is the same as the one shown in the U.S.

Exactly when we get it is another matter, seems logical to run one a month as BBCA (and the BFI for that matter) is doing but it doesn't look like we will be getting one this month.

It could be the BBC want Series 7B out of the way before starting to commenerate the Annivserary.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ratings

Doctor Who Revisited (BBCA)
    -9 PM: 0.233 million viewers, 0.10 A18-49
  • CD93CD93 Posts: 13,939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The 2nd Doctor story is Tomb of the Cybermen, not too much of a surprise.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As diditagain said, and I quote:
    [For US Doctor Who fans, it looks like BBC America is airing a new set of specials this year. The schedule for Sunday, January 27 has just been posted, and this nighttime entry appears:

9-11pm
    Doctor Who: Doctors Revisited (NEW)
    The First Doctor

The episode description is currently empty, but my guess is that like the recent BBC America "Best of..." DW shows, this will be a mixture of DW clips and US (and maybe UK) personalities discussing the First Doctor.

If the First Doctor is getting a 2-hour special to himself, perhaps BBC America will be airing 10 more specials throughout the year!]

Why don't we get to see these over here? :mad: I'd love to see them. At least get these released on DVD. It makes me so mad that the US are creating documentaries on Dr Who and yet, the UK cannot see them. Huf! :mad:
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CD93 wrote: »

Cannot see this. The first time I clicked on the link, I got some garbled message about a request domain. Second time I tried, I got the message 'Oops! The link must be broken!'
  • gingerfreakgingerfreak Posts: 523
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tiggerpooh wrote: »
    Why don't we get to see these over here? :mad: I'd love to see them. At least get these released on DVD. It makes me so mad that the US are creating documentaries on Dr Who and yet, the UK cannot see them. Huf! :mad:

We don't know that we're not getting them. Fingers crossed, eh?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

You will be seeing them in the UK, we know that, just exactly when is unknown.

The BBC don't seem to want to start celebrating the Anniversary until later in the year (either when 7B starts or when it finishes I would guess).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Cannot see this. The first time I clicked on the link, I got some garbled message about a request domain. Second time I tried, I got the message 'Oops! The link must be broken!'
    The Video has been removed by the User.