Easiest way to connect Anytime+ to wireless router upstairs?

p-gibsonp-gibson Posts: 305
Forum Member
Hi,

Whats the best way to connect my sky box in livingroom to my wireless router up stairs in bedroom? Is there anything that can connect plug and play, without many setting etc?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sky will provide you with a WIFI bridge (for £60).
    it connects to your sky box (via ethernet) and then connects to the router via WIFI.
  • p-gibsonp-gibson Posts: 305
    Forum Member
    Little bit expensive. Anything about £20?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    p-gibson wrote: »
    Little bit expensive. Anything about £20?

yeah you can get cheaper ones, but they won't be a simply "plug and play" device like the sky provided one (which is pre-configured for the job).
    you can get cheaper ones via third parties, but you may require to do some manual configuration before it will work.

you said you wanted a simple plug and play without manual setting up, so the £60 sky device is exactly that.

for £20 you can buy a roll of ethernet cable and run it from the box up to the router - zero configuration required.
  • 1saintly1saintly Posts: 4,197
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi,

Whats the best way to connect my sky box in livingroom to my wireless router up stairs in bedroom? Is there anything that can connect plug and play, without many setting etc?

Yes
    http://www.scan.co.uk/products/15m-icidu-cat5e-utp-cable-rj45-rj45-straight-grey-n04
    Forum Member
    Whats the best wireless device I could get?

thanks
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Whats the best wireless device I could get?

thanks

that's a different question than what you asked originally.

for £35 you can get a decent WIFI bridge, but you might be required to manually configure it. is that something you're happy to do?

you won't get any support from Sky though if you have problems with it etc etc.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi,

Take a look at the thread on wifi bridges here: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1632373

After reading that thread I bought a Vonets VAP11G and a usb to mains adaptor, it's an absolute breeze to set up. Just plug the Vonets bridge usb and ethernet cable into your PC or laptop, run the supplied setup cd, pick the router you want to connect to, and three clicks and your done. Then just plug the wifi bridge's ethernet cable into the sky box and the usb into a usb mains adaptor and your good to go. From start to finish it took less than 10 minutes to do.

The Vonets wifi bridge was £17.50 with free postage and the usb mains adaptor was £2 with free postage, both from ebay.
    Forum Member
    Thanks. Just order it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why the Sky+ box doesn't have Wifi built in. Sky seem so slow with technology. They should in fact be creating a box that will stream your recorded content to any device around the home, such as smartphone, tablet etc. We probably won't see that in years due to it damaging the need for Sky Multiroom.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't understand why the Sky+ box doesn't have Wifi built in. Sky seem so slow with technology. They should in fact be creating a box that will stream your recorded content to any device around the home, such as smartphone, tablet etc. We probably won't see that in years due to it damaging the need for Sky Multiroom.

the sky box is already being developed to distribute your recorded content to multiroom boxes - this year apparently.

are there any other mainstream PVRs with WIFI built-in? it not, then why is sky slow with technology?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 43
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    the sky box is already being developed to distribute your recorded content to multiroom boxes - this year apparently.

are there any other mainstream PVRs with WIFI built-in? it not, then why is sky slow with technology?

Yes there are.
    So are you suggesting that if Virgin doesn't have it then Sky shouldn't? Frankly, they are the only two mainstream PVRs around. Streamers have been around a while (Apple TV, WDTV) and Smart TVs have also made a full entrance. Sky sell a wireless bridge, surely they should've thought to upgrade the box especially in the wake of Anytime+. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Virgin on demand doesn't use broadband so there is less need for it to be wifi enabled.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes there are.
    So are you suggesting that if Virgin doesn't have it then Sky shouldn't? Frankly, they are the only two mainstream PVRs around. Streamers have been around a while (Apple TV, WDTV) and Smart TVs have also made a full entrance. Sky sell a wireless bridge, surely they should've thought to upgrade the box especially in the wake of Anytime+. Correct me if I'm wrong, but Virgin on demand doesn't use broadband so there is less need for it to be wifi enabled.

i never mentioned Virgin. i also didn't narrow my question down to the UK.

the majority of smart TV's still don't have WIFI built-in, they require a USB add-on.
  • joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,016
    Forum Member
    No PVR or STB or TV has Wireless Wifi built-in, only Laptops and Mobiles have it built-in

You are wrong Virgin do use the Broadband connection for VOD and other applications, with Virgin the Broadband and TV signals share the same pipe/cable
    unlike Freeview/Freesat/Sky/etc

The Tivo boxes have a Modem Built-in so they can use the Broadband connection for the Applications and OTT services,
    or whatever Virgin decides to use the Broadband connection for including updates/online Games, etc

Virgin's plans for Wifi for the Tivo boxes is that it enables you to record on one box downstairs and stream the content to the box upstairs via the House/Home Wifi Network
  • DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No PVR or STB or TV has Wireless Wifi built-in, only Laptops and Mobiles have it built-in
    You will find a number of the top-end TV's and PVR's are now coming with WiFi built in. Sony, Samsung, Toshiba and Panasonic all have models with WiFi built in. Sites like currys.co.uk let you check "Built-in WiFi" and search for those models.
  • DX30DX30 Posts: 899
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    chenks wrote: »
    are there any other mainstream PVRs with WIFI built-in?
    Samsung BD-DT7800
  • Presenter100Presenter100 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
  • dazpotdazpot Posts: 447
    Forum Member
    I use solewise homeplugs they are great.
  • jwballjwball Posts: 1,248
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazon are selling the 200Mbps powerline twin packs for £32.99 for a limited time. Damn good price for 200Mbps to be honest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004INVKP4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=deltatangofoxtrot-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B004INVKP4
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 63
    Forum Member
    anniebrion wrote: »

Anniebrion please do you have or know of any easy configuration guide, it seems too complicated. Thanks.

I believe you are very knowledgeable so if you use this method, the Edimax, it must be a good one.

The plug method won't work for me as my plugs are on different RCD circuits???
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,270
    Forum Member
    skyuser6 wrote: »

Have you tried them? - they usually work OK even across different ring mains.
  • user123456789user123456789 Posts: 16,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    skyuser6 wrote: »
    Anniebrion please do you have or know of any easy configuration guide, it seems too complicated. Thanks.

I believe you are very knowledgeable so if you use this method, the Edimax, it must be a good one.

The EdiMax has a configuration wizard on a supplied CD :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jwball wrote: »
    Amazon are selling the 200Mbps powerline twin packs for £32.99 for a limited time. Damn good price for 200Mbps to be honest.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004INVKP4/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=deltatangofoxtrot-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=B004INVKP4

Thanks for posting! I've just bought them and the TP-Link 5-Port switch which was only £8.40. Now I can have my Sky+HD box, WD TV Live Streaming player and Blu-Ray all connected up to a nice tidy single point :D.
    Forum Member
    linea wrote: »
    Thanks for posting! I've just bought them and the TP-Link 5-Port switch which was only £8.40. Now I can have my Sky+HD box, WD TV Live Streaming player and Blu-Ray all connected up to a nice tidy single point :D.

Can this be connected to the Virgin superhub turning the 5 superhub outputs into 9 (1 of the superhubs used up to connect the switch?
    Forum Member
    Have you tried them? - they usually work OK even across different ring mains.

Would they work on different RCD protecter circuits (on same main board), no mains rings?

Will they work on old fashioned ring circuits with different fuses (no RCD protection switches)?

Some of the Amazon reviews said not. Confusing.