The 50th Anniversary: Who Don't We Want Back?

WopsyWopsy Posts: 36
Forum Member
We have seen people discussing who they do want to see in the 50 anniversary episode, but what about any characters we really do not want to see make an appearance.

Is there anyone who would spoil it or leave a sour taste in the mouth? A character who is best left to fester in the archives forever?

There are some I can think of who would not be welcomed.

Despite their popularity, Amy and Rory would disappoint me. They have either died or come back enough times already. Plus it would be far too soon and have very little emotional impact.

I can't see Mel making much of a lasting impression either. Nothing against Bonnie Langford, but the character would not be able to offer much in terms of plot development. I could only see her working as as aerobic instructor in a gym and the Doctor does not usually find himself in gyms.

Adric. I have visions of Adric appearing in 'alternative future' flash-backs. Again, I am sure we will be spared this scenario, as Matthew Waterhouse is probably busy promoting his book (which nowhere stocks)...and the character is almost certainly gone, forever. Though, of the three, they should have killed off Nyssa (dullsville) but that is another discussion!

Comments

• saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Moffat has already said there is no chance of the Ponds returning beyond anything more than flashback. And quite right to. Their story is told and lets hope he sticks to that and doesn't repeat the mistakes of RTD.

I don't really want or need to see any of the recent companions returning as for the same reason, I don't think they have anything left to bring to the show beyond simple nostalgia. The exception is Jack who I would welcome being a major part of the anniversary.

The one thing I really do not want to see under any circumstances is the return of 10.5. His existence is up there with 'half human' as things I pretend never happened. Not that I think he would be brought back. Moffat is too smart for that. But I have heard it suggested by some fans as a way to get Tennant back in. No. Horrid idea.
  • Residents FanResidents Fan Posts: 9,204
    Forum Member
    I don't really want to see Mel or Donna back. Also, Kamelion doesn't warrant
    returning. *

* Has anyone read "Doctor Who: The Complete Useless Encyclopedia" by
    Steve Lyons and Chris Howarth? Apparently there's a jinx on Kamelion, as
    most of the actors and production staff who worked on him died shortly
    afterwards: Mike Power, Gerald Flood, Dallas Adams, as well as the three
    blokes who wrote stories where he appeared: Grimwade, Dudley and Holmes,
    not to mention JNT, who commissioned the bot
    in the first place. :eek:
  • C. SamuraiC. Samurai Posts: 362
    Forum Member
    blokes who wrote stories where he appeared: Grimwade, Dudley and Holmes,

Don't forget Craig Hinton, he wrote a Missing Adventures novel with Kamelion in it
    Forum Member
    C. Samurai wrote: »
    Don't forget Craig Hinton, he wrote a Missing Adventures novel with Kamelion in it

Yes, poor Craig. A great bloke, deeply missed. :(
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Three companions, namely Katarina, Sara Kingdom and Adric cannot return as those characters were killed off in Classic Who.

Four companions, namely Barbara, Liz, Sarah Jane and First Romana cannot return because, sadly, Jacqueline Hill, Caroline John, Elisabeth Sladen and Mary Tamm are no longer with us.

Of those characters who are in a position to return the ones I DON'T want back are:-

Dodo
    Victoria
    Jo
    Leela
    Adric
    Peri
    Mel
    Rose
    Martha
    Amy and Rory
  • JohnnyForgetJohnnyForget Posts: 24,061
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    C. Samurai wrote: »

The Crystal Bucephalus

Excellent novel.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really mind who does or doesn't come back but I what I don't really want to see is an endless string of cameos. I would like any returning characters to be integral to the story.

I honestly don't think it will be a companionorama anyway. There's just far too many and I can't see much sense in just randomly picking a few. That's just going to get everybody up in arms saying 'why was such and such snubbed?'. When they had a dedication to Nicholas Courtney at the end of an episode last year they had people criticizing them for the apparent snub of not doing the same for Liz Sladen :rolleyes: Even with a tribute they just couldn't win.
  • The_abbottThe_abbott Posts: 26,930
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would like the Doctor to catch up with:

Steven
    Polly
    Jamie
    Jo
    Benton
    Leela (if her character is not dead - if she was on Galifrey)
    Nyssa
    Peri
    Forum Member
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    I don't really mind who does or doesn't come back but I what I don't really want to see is an endless string of cameos. I would like any returning characters to be integral to the story.

I honestly don't think it will be a companionorama anyway. There's just far too many and I can't see much sense in just randomly picking a few. That's just going to get everybody up in arms saying 'why was such and such snubbed?'.

I'd like the anniversary story to be like "Remembrance
    of the Daleks" - a show that homages "Doctor Who's"
    history without confusing non-fans who don't
    know who the Krotons or the Mandragora Helix
    are.
  • Tom TitTom Tit Posts: 2,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like the anniversary story to be like "Remembrance
    of the Daleks" - a show that homages "Doctor Who's"
    history without confusing non-fans who don't
    know who the Krotons or the Mandragora Helix
    are.

That's exactly the tone I will be hoping for too, and luckily it is the sort of sensibility Steven Moffat tends to share. 'Remembrance' is one of his favourite stories of course.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No to Rose as Rose. Personally I'd love a load of actors from the past just as extras in the background of scenes. So you watch the show first for he story and then with a pause button to see who's where. That way old fans get nods to the past and fond memories but new fans don't lose out an get confused.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tom Tit wrote: »
    . When they had a dedication to Nicholas Courtney at the end of an episode last year they had people criticizing them for the apparent snub of not doing the same for Liz Sladen :rolleyes: Even with a tribute they just couldn't win.
    It was the other way round (or maybe people complained both times). Liz Sladen got a dedication at the start of The Impossible Astronaut and people were unhappy that Nick Courtney did not.

It wasn't till the Wedding of River Song that the Brigadier got an inshow tribute and Nick never got a dedication as far as I know.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No to Rose as Rose. Personally I'd love a load of actors from the past just as extras in the background of scenes. So you watch the show first for he story and then with a pause button to see who's where. That way old fans get nods to the past and fond memories but new fans don't lose out an get confused.

I'd like to see something like that. Maybe the doctor will be poisoned, or have his mind behaving funny some other way, and he sees people walking about, but they look JUST LIKE Tom Baker, or Sylvester McCoy, or etc...

It would be ail in his head mostly, but wouldn't take anything away from whatever story is happening.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Four companions, namely Barbara, Liz, Sarah Jane and First Romana cannot return because, sadly, Jacqueline Hill, Caroline John, Elisabeth Sladen and Mary Tamm are no longer with us.

Ian Marter and Michael Craze (Harry and Ben) are sadly dead as well, and obviously so is Nick Courtney. Adrienne Hill is also gone but then as you said so is Katarina.

Even excluding the real life dead we know the likes of Adam, Dodo, Adric, Sara, Benton, Yates, any of the New Who one-offs, Mickey (without Martha) and Kamelion won't be coming back.

The only companion I don't want back is Jack and unfortunately for me, if there are to be any returns I think he's sure to be among them. Oh and I wouldn't want Amy and Rory back, not all of nine episodes since they left.
  • AdelaideGirlAdelaideGirl Posts: 3,498
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd like to see something like that. Maybe the doctor will be poisoned, or have his mind behaving funny some other way, and he sees people walking about, but they look JUST LIKE Tom Baker, or Sylvester McCoy, or etc...

It would be ail in his head mostly, but wouldn't take anything away from whatever story is happening.

The idea comes from Sylvester and Louise I think they wanted to be siting around in a bar of something. I heard it on the audio for Fang Rock.
  • ArthurJBearArthurJBear Posts: 6,905
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't want to see anyone (other than Ecclestone and Tennant) from the NuWHo series.
  • So 3008So 3008 Posts: 2,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Personally I think in order not to cram too many characters in and yet still pay homage to the past, the ideal way is to just have one companion from each decade excluding the 90's (the BBC don't have the rights to Grace anyway) appear. Clara obviously representing the 2010's. I think four returning companions is far more doable than returning Doctors.
  • MikaRimmerMikaRimmer Posts: 1,327
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've only watched New Who, and a few Classic Who episodes, so for me the characters I don't want back are Rose, Donna, Amy and Rory. Not because I don't like them, I very much like Amy, Rory and Donna, but because their stories are over, and bringing them back would ruin their exits. And Rose was a shambles last time she returned so I don't want her to return ever again, she got her happy ending which I don't think she deserved, but nonetheless, she should not come back.
    Out of new Who, I'd like Martha and Jack back because they are the 2 companions who can actually come back without it being forced and yet they still represent 9 and 10 Doctors.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,488
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't understand people saying so and so can't come back without ruining their story. You just bring them back with their Doctor and say its set in the middle of their adventures.
  • Glyn WGlyn W Posts: 5,819
    Forum Member
    Lulz77 wrote: »
    Don't understand people saying so and so can't come back without ruining their story. You just bring them back with their Doctor and say its set in the middle of their adventures.

All it takes is a story with the return of the Dream Lord in it and you can have whoever you want popping up.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 120
    Forum Member
    I would like Susan back, ive always been fond of Leela and Jamie too.

On a separate note I was thinking how nice it would be to have all the assistants and living Doctors do a little something like the Perfect Day video from a few years back where multiple artists sung a line each.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm gonna be slaughtered for this, but I don't want to see any of the previous Doctors back.
  • tiggerpoohtiggerpooh Posts: 4,182
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    People and aliens I don't want back for the 50th Anniversary Special?

Bonnie Langford,
    Omega,
    Freema Agyeman,
    Bruno Langley (Adam in Dalek and The Long Game 2005),
    Suranne Jones (Great actress. Just didn't work for me as Idris in The Doctor's Wife),
    Victoria Waterfield (Deborah Watling),
    Kamelion (Gerald Flood),
    Rosita Farasi (The Next Doctor),
    Michelle Ryan (Planet of the Dead. A bit common for my liking),
    Craig Owens (James Corden)
    The Macra, (found them a bit boring)
    The Yeti (Didn't find them that scary. A bit of a boring monster)
    Chang Lee (The 1996 made for TV movie, although having Daphne Ashbrook back for a guest appearance would be great)

These are the people/aliens that I wouldn't like to see in the 50th Anniversary Special. I don't think they were brilliant, although a few like Deborah Watling and Suranne Jones were ok, just not brilliant.
  • elven62elven62 Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    I'm gonna be slaughtered for this, but I don't want to see any of the previous Doctors back.

Actually this is pretty much how I feel too...:o
  • saladfingers81saladfingers81 Posts: 11,301
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

YANA