Opening birthday cards before your birthday

CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
Forum Member
I received a card through the post today which I opened. I thought it could be a birthday card but it didn't feel like it could be one - turns out it was!

Is it bad luck to open a card before your birthday - even if accidental? My birthday is on Thu so only two days early.

Comments

• Hugh JboobsHugh Jboobs Posts: 15,316
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CloneClown wrote: »
    Is it bad luck to open a card before your birthday - even if accidental?

Yes it's really bad luck. The only way to undo the evil spell is to dance naked, by moonlight, on the local village green.
  • user1234567user1234567 Posts: 12,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes it's really bad luck. The only way to undo the evil spell is to dance naked, by moonlight, on the local village green.
    And have someone record it so the bad luck gets traped in the digital world and then post it on here so we can see if it's been done properly :D
  • EleKtroEleKtro Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I received a card through the post today which I opened. I thought it could be a birthday card but it didn't feel like it could be one - turns out it was!

Is it bad luck to open a card before your birthday - even if accidental? My birthday is on Thu so only two days early.

is it your 10th birthday?
  • CloneClownCloneClown Posts: 6,296
    Forum Member

That's my Tues night sorted!
    Forum Member
    EleKtro wrote: »
    is it your 10th birthday?

Is it your time of the month? :rolleyes:

When you think we have stupid sayings like it's unlucky to walk under a ladder etc you would think this birthday one would be a more relevant one.
  • EleKtroEleKtro Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

When you think we have stupid sayings like it's unlucky to walk under a ladder etc you would think this birthday one would be a more relevant one.

That superstition, like shoes on a table or mirrors is the result of using superstition to keep people safe or safeguarding valuable things.
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Why's that? I can at least see a little logic with the ladder thing, I don't fancy a tin of paint dropping on my head!
  • abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    It is indeed bad luck to open a birthday card before your birthday.

God help you if you fail to blow out all the candles on your birthday cake with a single blow!
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    It's only bad luck if it doesn't contain money ;)
    Forum Member
    It's only bad luck if it doesn't contain money ;)

:D It didn't actually! :(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Do you save all your Christmas cards until Christmas day as well?
    Forum Member
    The bad luck can only be reversed if a friend or family member gives you birthday dumps.
    Forum Member
    Do you save all your Christmas cards until Christmas day as well?

Funnily enough I was thinking about this too why it seems acceptable to open Xmas cards before Xmas Day - the logical answer being that it's someone elses birthday but still!
  • PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always open my mother in laws card early ... as it often contains cash and i want to spend it :p
  • FearFactorFearFactor Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funnily enough I was thinking about this too why it seems acceptable to open Xmas cards before Xmas Day - the logical answer being that it's someone elses birthday but still!

Ah I think it's more to do with the fact that if you left it until Christmas day you'd open them and start realising that you've received cards from people who you didn't send one to, and now it's too late! Whereas unless you share your birthday with a lot of people that you know, this is quite unlikely to happen.

I always write on the envelope "not to be opened until xx date" (unless I've put money in asthe date think makes it blatant its a b-day card and I don't trust the postie not to nick it!).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Nobody sends me cards. The date I acquired consciousness and crept out of the dirty laundry on my own is still uncertain.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    abarthman wrote: »
    The bad luck can only be reversed if a friend or family member gives you birthday dumps.
    Birthday dumps? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FearFactor wrote: »
    Ah I think it's more to do with the fact that if you left it until Christmas day you'd open them and start realising that you've received cards from people who you didn't send one to, and now it's too late! Whereas unless you share your birthday with a lot of people that you know, this is quite unlikely to happen.

I always write on the envelope "not to be opened until xx date" (unless I've put money in asthe date think makes it blatant its a b-day card and I don't trust the postie not to nick it!).

Charming. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Bumps, probably.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I always do, I open them as soon as they arrive in the post if I'm in the house when the post arrives. I don't see anything wrong with it. Same with Christmas cards. And BTW what's the whole birthday bumps thing about? I've never really got that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always do, I open them as soon as they arrive in the post if I'm in the house when the post arrives. I don't see anything wrong with it. Same with Christmas cards. And BTW what's the whole birthday bumps thing about? I've never really got that.

They were outlawed in the 90s. Health & Safety.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 21,093
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bomb #21 wrote: »
    Bumps, probably.
    Maybe not, you never know what goes on behind closed doors.
    Forum Member
    I didn't realise that "dumps" was a Scottish term. :)

Not many relevant hits on Google. Urban Dictionary is just misleading! :D

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Birthday%20Dump

Here's a better reference from the Herald:

"The Scottish tradition of administering birthday “dumps” is also banned. The “dumps” are thumps on the back, one for each year. An education department official said the practice had been outlawed when it was discovered some children used it as an excuse to inflict pain on classmates they did not like."

Sounds about right! :D

I was always glad that my birthday fell in the middle of summer when I was nowhere near school. When a group of schoolboys found out that it was someone's birthday, the "dumps" delivered were more like a gang assault and almost always ended in tears from the birthday boy!

Are "birthday bumps" similar? Or less brutal?
  • Deb ArkleDeb Arkle Posts: 12,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Birthday bumps involve being flung horizontally ceilingwards while - if you're lucky - someone holds on to your hands and feet. Not a pleasant experience!
    Forum Member
    Deb Arkle wrote: »
    Birthday bumps involve being flung horizontally ceilingwards while - if you're lucky - someone holds on to your hands and feet. Not a pleasant experience!
    Sounds more pleasant than being repeatedly thumped on the back with the heel of someones hand! :D