USB WiFi adapter issues

ReefmanReefman Posts: 1,846
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Please bear with me - I have a Belkin N300 micro usb on my pc which was working fine on my old small form factor pc running vista. However I'd been having problems with the vista install so I reverted back to my old XP (the vista was installed from another pc I own but showing as non genuine).

I've reinstalled the belkin driver and its showing device working ok but it wont any wifi networks on my pc though previously was picking up mine and those of my neighbours too.

Any ideas as whats happened?

Comments

• LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Is it showing in network connections and if it is, is it showing as connected ?
  • ReefmanReefman Posts: 1,846
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    not sure I understand what you mean in network connections but accessing the device it says there are no networks available so it cant wont connect
  • Helmut10Helmut10 Posts: 2,431
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Difficult to guess what you are actually doing with such sparse info, more details would help a lot.

It could be as easy as right clicking and selecting Enable on the Wireless Card icon in Network Connections. If that is not enabled the Device Manager shows a red cross on the icon.

If you install the manufacturers driver software. They always insist on installing their own proprietary Wireless Management software as well. That results in two Wireless Managers with Windows Wireless Zero configuration.

So uninstall the driver and proprietary stuff, it will probably remove the basic driver as well so....

So what you can do is locate the basic driver within that Driver download, Windows Wireless Zero configuration uses this, so you then won't have the proprietary stuff to confuse.

So look into that Driver File you will find a folder called 'rtwlanu_driver\WinXP'
    In there you will find 3 files.
    One is an *.INF file and the *.SYS file, the driver.

That's all Windows needs so when asked by Windows to locate a Driver you point it to that *.INF file and the basic driver will be installed minus the proprietary stuff.

That will result in just Windows Wireless Zero configuration.

'Any ideas as whats happened?'
    Probably the Proprietary Wireless Manager has stopped the Windows Wireless Zero configuration service running, and runs it's own, or both 'Managers' are doing the same job, disaster then ensues.
  • LION8TIGERLION8TIGER Posts: 8,484
    Forum Member
    Reefman wrote: »
    not sure I understand what you mean in network connections but accessing the device it says there are no networks available so it cant wont connect

Network connections is in control panel or if you have an icon appearing in the taskbar, a right click on that.