Comments

• DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I actually quite like the look aesthetically. I initially liked the idea of this Wii Mini when I saw it this morning. I thought it could double up as a good little media box which a kid in their bedroom could play mario, watch iplayer etc. For a minimal price. But word is now that it's not internet enabled and does not play GC games. So that's killed it for me.
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    I actually quite like the look aesthetically. I initially liked the idea of this Wii Mini when I saw it this morning. I thought it could double up as a good little media box which a kid in their bedroom could play mario, watch iplayer etc. For a minimal price. But word is now that it's not internet enabled and does not play GC games. So that's killed it for me.

One things for sure it looks nothing like a Wii. It looks more flat the wii stood on it's side.

Another Wii could just be a response to Kinect selling well or the new PS3 even smaller model.
  • elasticloveelasticlove Posts: 18,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a sleek (and awesome) design, but no backwards compatibility and no Internet connection is a bit of a let down. I would've bought one if it had those two features (good for bedrooms!) but perhaps not anymore.
  • barracuda91barracuda91 Posts: 3,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It appears as though it's a Canadian exclusive. Had it been available here and had backwards compatibility, I would've considered purchasing it because I really like the look of it and it's a great price.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    It appears as though it's a Canadian exclusive. Had it been available here and had backwards compatibility, I would've considered purchasing it because I really like the look of it and it's a great price.

? Also out in the us and just hasn't been announced for here yet. No chance of bc though, whole idea is to cut costs.
  • chrisychrisy Posts: 9,418
    Forum Member
    Strange there's no Internet connectivity - the web browser, iPlayer and the forthcoming YouTube channel would have added a bit of extra value. I wonder if it really has no Internet connectivity, or whether this just means there's no built-in wi-fi? ie, the Wii Ethernet adapter might still work (although I suspect they've skimped on USB ports too)
  • MD1500MD1500 Posts: 14,234
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only thing that worries me is the potential confusion between this and the Wii U
    The red edging even makes it look like a letter U

Believe me, I've seen how deep the confusion goes. Just look at the 13 one-star ratings on Amazon for the Layton 3DS game - simply because it doesn't work on DS.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,077
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MD1500 wrote: »
    The only thing that worries me is the potential confusion between this and the Wii U
    The red edging even makes it look like a letter U

Believe me, I've seen how deep the confusion goes. Just look at the 13 one-star ratings on Amazon for the Layton 3DS game - simply because it doesn't work on DS.

I do see where your coming from. I read the reviews on Amazon. It makes me laugh that they call themselves "loyal long time" Nintendo fans, when I bet they've never even heard of a Game and Watch or a SNES. If they where loyal Nintendo fans, they would be aware it was for the 3DS only, and the little bump on the side of the cartridge, along with pretty much everything about the 3DS indicates its for a completely different system. I have no sympathy for them. They strike me as those sort of people who bought a Wii for Wii Fit and a DS for Brain Training.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    The more interesting comparison is this one:

http://www.cyberiapc.com/vgg/pics/nintendo_gandw1.jpg

Classic Game & Watch cases. The entire aesthetics match
  • grimtales1grimtales1 Posts: 46,685
    Forum Member
    Dont see the point in that when it loses the GC compatability, and the Wii is small already anyway.
  • alternatealternate Posts: 8,110
    Forum Member
    grimtales1 wrote: »
    Dont see the point in that when it loses the GC compatability, and the Wii is small already anyway.

Point is it is cheaper to make and cheaper to sell. Likely smaller die inside, top loader disc drive, no bc, no wifi card.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    The Gamecube is also 11 years old and not a vital thing to have inside it, thus meaning costs are reduced
  • DavonatorDavonator Posts: 4,406
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Digital Foundry just reviewed this and tore it apart

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-wii-mini-review
  • linkinpark875linkinpark875 Posts: 29,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Davonator wrote: »
    Digital Foundry just reviewed this and tore it apart

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/df-hardware-nintendo-wii-mini-review

It's one if the worst looking consoles I've ever seen lol :p

I don't like Wii U either. The original Wii was better.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    This console does seem rather pointless.
    No Internet connection, no SD card slot, no component 480p compatibility so it seems its composite or nothing.
  • gdjman68wasdigigdjman68wasdigi Posts: 21,705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fail, i will be keeping my red DK edition for sure