What makes someone your favourite?

WhyHelloWorldWhyHelloWorld Posts: 15,494
Forum Member
✭✭
If someone went on stage and sang, and was only ok, but the tone to their voice was amazing - i would like them.

If someone went on stage and sung brilliantly, but didn't have a good tone - i wouldn't like them.

What makes someone YOUR favourite?

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Confidence, stage presence, trendsetter, unique and above average vocals.
  • Emma_WaughmanEmma_Waughman Posts: 12,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Looks :o
  • twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The journey ;);)
  • _elly001_elly001 Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like contestants with a unique, distinctive tone that you could imagine on a recorded track, and an obvious flair and passion for music. Good stage presence is a must (I don't mean overly confident, necessarily, just someone who I can't take my eyes off when they perform - there needs to be a level of intensity there. It's not generally something you can teach.)

If it's a group, the chemistry between them is always something I look for, and pleasant-sounding harmonies always swing it for me. Another big thing for me is how contestants perform the song. I'm always won over by acts that seem to have a decent understanding of a song and convey that through the way they sing it. You can tell with some acts that even though they might have nailed it vocally, there's no real empathy with what the song is about. And yes, it's possible to empathise with even the most bubblegum of pop, so that's not an excuse!

And I won't lie, good looks do help, but so few contestants that go on are actually my type that it's nowhere near the only factor for me!
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Vocals. If you can sing, that's good. And tone. If it's like a cat, no sir (hence why I hated Matt on the show but tolerate him now and James too :sleep:)

Also you need some star quality/charisma.
  • LandslideBradLandslideBrad Posts: 5,085
    Forum Member
    Star quality is the most important for me. I'm not stanning for a bland act. They have to be unique too (which includes a unique voice/style) and also show the music direction they will be going in when they finish the show.
  • staceyxxx23staceyxxx23 Posts: 12,549
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Star quality is the most important for me. I'm not stanning for a bland act. They have to be unique too (which includes a unique voice/style) and also show the music direction they will be going in when they finish the show.
    This really. A combination of image, voice, personality, stage presence & artistry all determine who I support.
  • SatanelSatanel Posts: 11,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The best voice is most important for me.
  • String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

^^This
  • my name is joemy name is joe Posts: 4,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a good voice but more in a unique way than the standard way

a working class background - very important that:)

a bit of an attitude and/or chip on shoulder

an imaginative choice of songs

quirkiness
  • abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i just know on the day which amongst the acts i want to support.
  • _NiallDEE__NiallDEE_ Posts: 13,584
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pretty much completely the voice for me, I always go for the belters :p
  • Pingu222Pingu222 Posts: 445
    Forum Member
    They need an 'i' in their name....
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have no real expectations, but I do tend to like retro (not old fashioned) and something classy. I like someone that covers fairly obscure material I'm not expecting. One of the very few disappointing things Leona (my all-time favourite) did was cover well-trodden material - the Whitneys, the Celines, the Mariahs, which is what I liked about Rebecca (my second favourite) who seemed to surprise me more.
  • PJ RiverPJ River Posts: 1,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boobs.

All this time, I was looking for a good old girlband with attitude to win this whole thing, I think my wait is over. I don't need to watch X Factor anymore.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

quirkiness

Started from the bottom now we here.
  • Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    twingle wrote: »
    The journey ;);)

south? :rolleyes:
  • SoppyfanSoppyfan Posts: 29,911
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What makes me support my favorite is first and foremost...the voice, personality comes second, everything else comes last. With groups, harmonies win me over very quickly.
  • OMGItsAnnieOMGItsAnnie Posts: 2,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not only their voice but the personality as well.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    a consistently good singer and performer - I don't necessary mean dancing just someone who knows how to deliver the goods even if it's just the emotion of the song.

Doesn't have to be a big belter, just someone who makes singing look effortless and they don't look like they're either:
    - not enjoying themselves and would rather be somewhere else
    - they're straining their voice
    - they're trying too hard or trying to be like another artist

Unfortunately, how they're treated on the show can sometimes affect who is my favourite :o e.g. if the judges are calling them a 'genius' for no reason, or there's too much bias towards an act -- I do tend to lose interest in them. (see Matt on Dancing on Ice this year :p )
  • fireemblemcrazefireemblemcraze Posts: 7,436
    Forum Member
    Well it's on the lines of vocals - I want to see a unique artist, with a quirky music taste. I just love those kinds of people. James, Lucy, Misha, Diana, Cher were all really unique.

I also want a contestant to be passionate and show emotion in their performances, and on a lesser level to vary the dynamic a little (to go quiet and then loud in the passionate bits/chorus). People like James, Ruth, Amelia, Katie, Stacey, Danyl, Beverley did immensely well for me when they did this.
  • SuperAPJSuperAPJ Posts: 10,402
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personality is a big factor for me...or as Louis Walsh would say, the likeability factor! Ack.
    Pingu222 wrote: »
    They need an 'i' in their name....

Were Steve Brookstein and Little Mix your favourite winners then? Ha ha!
  • SILLY SUESILLY SUE Posts: 5,499
    Forum Member
    Someone who grabs my attention when they walk onto the stage; and during the performance I can't take my eyes off them. I don't care whether they are good looking or not. It's about stage presence and a bloody good voice for me. :D

I'm seeing my fave tomorrow night in concert, :) so looking forward to being blasted into orbit with his vocals and stage presence.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For me it has to be the voice, empathy with the audience (including the TV audience) and good diction! I cannot stand it when singers mumble.
  • Gill PGill P Posts: 21,571
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

quirkiness

All the things I hate!