What is the cheapest Unlimited Broadband and Line rental package?

Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Virgin Media have 30mb broadband and line rental for £29.49 per month.

Are there any that are cheaper?

Comments

• noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Always somethig cheaper, but will they offer the speed you can get with virgin?

Do you have Bt openreach fibre where you are? if so then Plusnet do a product that gives you more speed for a little bit more money.

the best thing is to have a look around or have a look here not sure how up to date the list here, but at least it will give you a load of links to different ISPs.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Look at talk talk, super service for me, family and friends :)
  • swillsswills Posts: 4,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lawro2 wrote: »
    Virgin Media have 30mb broadband and line rental for £29.49 per month.

Are there any that are cheaper?

Not much good for those that can't and never will be able to get cable, and that is a vast majority of the UK !
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    swills wrote: »
    Not much good for those that can't and never will be able to get cable, and that is a vast majority of the UK !

I presume the OP can get Cable where they are and is looking if there is anything cheaper. the thread is not about what other people can get :)
  • Lawro2Lawro2 Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Plusnet in the lead so far:

£13.99 Line rental
    £9.99 Unlimited 16 Mb Broadband

Total £23.98
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lawro2 wrote: »
    Plusnet in the lead so far:

£13.99 Line rental
    £9.99 Unlimited 16 Mb Broadband

Total £23.98

you got to look at reliability as well mind you, no good going cheap if the thing don't work.

That is also up to 16Mb/s, it depends how far you are away from the exchange.
  • rjb101rjb101 Posts: 2,689
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you pay the line rental a year in andvance you can get plusnet fibre for 9.99 + 19.99 a month.

Thats unlimited and up to 76Mb. I think you get free weekend and eveing calls along with that.

Talk talk maybe cheaper but I couldn't be bothered to wade through their site to descover the price.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    rjb101 wrote: »
    If you pay the line rental a year in andvance you can get plusnet fibre for 9.99 + 19.99 a month.

Thats unlimited and up to 76Mb. I think you get free weekend and eveing calls along with that.

Talk talk maybe cheaper but I couldn't be bothered to wade through their site to descover the price.

If you go via one of the comparison sites, such as Uswitch, you end up at these prices for Talk Talk's fibre broadband.

https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/fibre/affiliate/?portalId=TOP10_BB
  • tghe-retfordtghe-retford Posts: 26,449
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rjb101 wrote: »

I'm with Plusnet for up to 76Mbps (in reality 68Mbps down, 17Mbps up for me) unlimited fibre with Primus basic line rental at a lower price than they charge now for £26.98 a month. If you are not bothered about fibre optic broadband or evening and weekend calls, you could do unlimited ADSL2+ with the same company for £9.99 + Primus for £7.99 via Homephonechoices (not through Primus, it costs more) = £17.98 a month. You could even use a bypass service like 18185 and call someone for 5p a call, less than 20 calls a month and it's cheaper than Primus' evening and weekend calls package.

Moneysavingexpert where I go for these things, also has Plusnet and Primus (with caution - see below) as cheapest for broadband and line rental.

And don't forget, go through a cashback site to order Plusnet and you can get up to £75 cashback via Quidco (-£5 for an yearly admin fee), which will pay in time for the installation + first month + router P&P cost you have to pay up front when ordering.

However... Primus being the cheapest for line rental, are having customer service problems at the moment, I just received my first bill since switching and I don't think I am even being charged for line rental. Knowing my luck, I'll be the one person who would get found out down the line and be left with a large bill. Must contact them in due time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    I'm with Plusnet for up to 76Mbps (in reality 68Mbps down, 17Mbps up for me) unlimited fibre with Primus basic line rental at a lower price than they charge now for £26.98 a month. If you are not bothered about fibre optic broadband or evening and weekend calls, you could do unlimited ADSL2+ with the same company for £9.99 + Primus for £7.99 via Homephonechoices (not through Primus, it costs more) = £17.98 a month. You could even use a bypass service like 18185 and call someone for 5p a call, less than 20 calls a month and it's cheaper than Primus' evening and weekend calls package.

Moneysavingexpert where I go for these things, also has Plusnet and Primus (with caution - see below) as cheapest for broadband and line rental.

And don't forget, go through a cashback site to order Plusnet and you can get up to £75 cashback via Quidco (-£5 for an yearly admin fee), which will pay in time for the installation + first month + router P&P cost you have to pay up front when ordering.

However... Primus being the cheapest for line rental, are having customer service problems at the moment, I just received my first bill since switching and I don't think I am even being charged for line rental. Knowing my luck, I'll be the one person who would get found out down the line and be left with a large bill. Must contact them in due time.

Good advice that. Fibre goes live on my exchange from 31st March so I'll bear that in mind.

I'm currently paying pretty much what you pay for your fibre connection for a 3.5Mb standard unlimited broadband and line rental.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you go via one of the comparison sites, such as Uswitch, you end up at these prices for Talk Talk's fibre broadband.

https://sales.talktalk.co.uk/product/fibre/affiliate/?portalId=TOP10_BB

Note that on that site it says
    Unlimited* download allowance
    With no explanation on the page what the * means i.e. subject to fair usage policy.

Also worth checking on all of these bundles is what they charge (if you need them) for extras such as Caller Display - TalkTalk charge £2.50/month whereas Plusnet is only 99p and with BT Privacy at Home it's free provided you make two chargeable calls per month
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mac2708 wrote: »
    Note that on that site it says
    Unlimited* download allowance
    With no explanation on the page what the * means i.e. subject to fair usage policy.

Also worth checking on all of these bundles is what they charge (if you need them) for extras such as Caller Display - TalkTalk charge £2.50/month whereas Plusnet is only 99p and with BT Privacy at Home it's free provided you make two chargeable calls per month

I don't know if there is a download limit with TT but looking at my data usage we are downloading 500Gb a month minimum with no problems or issues, and in December it was over 700Gb.

The £5 a month for 1000 minutes to any mobile network is well worth having if like me your children like to use the landline to phone mobile numbers :)