Can your IP address give away your identity to hackers, stalkers and cybercrooks?

MeMeMeIMeMeMeI Posts: 990
Forum Member
✭✭
Can your IP address give away your identity to hackers, stalkers and cybercrooks?

Read more: http://www.networkworld.com/news/2013/071613-ip-address-hackers-271809.html#ixzz2ZEFmQmjF

A interesting read if a little technical at times..

Comments

• call100call100 Posts: 7,264
    Forum Member
    Nothing gives more protection than common sense. Absolute anonymity on the net is an impossibility. However, AFAIK your IP alone would not give enough information to enable identity theft.
  • DaedrothDaedroth Posts: 3,065
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An IP address isn't identifiable information. You can determine the approximate geographical location and possibly able to find information around the Internet posted by that IP address. However that's the user's issues, rather than a security issue with IP addresses.
  • MaxatoriaMaxatoria Posts: 17,980
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only way to certainly link an IP address to a person will be the ISP's own records which would require a court order to retrieve
  • chrisjrchrisjr Posts: 33,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well if anyone has intentions to do me harm, according to one IP tracking website I am currently sitting in a house close to the junction of Plum Tree Way and Maple Tree Way Scunthorpe.

Only a couple of hundred miles out :D
  • Tal'shiarTal'shiar Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, almost all IP addresses are whats called Dynamic. This means that the big connection hubs (the things exchanges connect too) have a big pool of IP addresses they can use, when you connect to the internet, it assigns one too you. After a set amount of time (more often no more than a week, some IPs flush daily, or every time you connect), the IP will be marked as unused and put back into the pool. When you connect again, you get a new IP, out of that giant pool of numbers.

Some IPs are static, but this often costs more and is more to do with business and other activities. If you are ever unsure as to which you have, you have dynamic. You often have to pay and know of static in order to get one.

As to how safe you are from hackers, if all they have is an IP address, then they have nothing. You can run my IP right now, it will end at an exchange in Leeds, telling you I am currently in Leeds. I am actually about 140 miles away, not even the same county haha. The only way an IP can be linked to you personally is with your internet provider, as they will know what IP was assigned and when. This information is pretty well guarded for the most point, excluding copyright issues, they are pretty safe.

Even IF they were able to find out who use the IP and when, your name and address, thats still not enough really. Loads of people will know where you live, you will know where lots of people live as well. Doesnt mean anything. As others have said, a little bit of common sense online and you will never need to worry about hackers and virus's and what not. Careful what you download etc.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tal'shiar wrote: »
    No, almost all IP addresses are whats called Dynamic. This means that the big connection hubs (the things exchanges connect too) have a big pool of IP addresses they can use, when you connect to the internet, it assigns one too you. After a set amount of time (more often no more than a week, some IPs flush daily, or every time you connect), the IP will be marked as unused and put back into the pool. When you connect again, you get a new IP, out of that giant pool of numbers.

Although my Virginmedia IP address is dynamic it's changed once (possibly twice?) in about 5 years - I know this to be the case because I make use of the fact it doesn't change for work purposes. I turn the modem off when I go on holiday but a week later I still have the same address.

Of course it is still dynamic and it isn't assigned to me but it really doesn't change much. I agree though about it being of little use to people.