HELP!! Dont know where to turn re: VM Superhub / 30MB BB

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Had it installed just over a month ago.

Been an absolute DISASTER!

With my old 10MB package & Wireless G Router, I was getting fast Wifi internet in every room of the house, even outside in the car.

Since they've installed the 'Superdud'...I only get Wifi in the room that has the Superhub in it. They rung me with the offer! How I regret accepting it!

Everywhere else, nothing. The kids PS3 no longer connects, our Smartphones lose the signal the moment they walk out of the room...no more Wifi radio signal in the kitchen etc etc

So, I followed the advice on this & the VM forums, and put the Superdud into modem mode, and bought a N+ Wireless router...still no Wifi in the other rooms!!!!

In desperation, Ive gone back to the Wireless G router & Wifi is restored in all rooms.

BUT, can I get VM to take away their monstrosity of a modem/router & give me back my 10MB internet & cable modem?

No idea why I am paying extra per month for less services!

Advice is required & appreciated greatly!

Comments

• mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,307
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sounds like there are other networks close by operating on the same or adjacent channel as the wireless-n router, causing interference/drop-outs. The problem follows the wireless-n signals, so the VM 30meg service is fine.

Try changing the channel to a free one or one that is less busy.

Install InSSIDer (from http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) and check for free channels and/or strong neighbouring networks.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,879
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You will not get your old modem back and nor will they give you another one as they just get skipped, your best option is to buy a good N router and use that instead of the router you have at present.
  • bobcarbobcar Posts: 19,424
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Did you have to pay extra for 30M? I got the upgrade from 10-20M free and then a free upgrade and free Superhub to 30M also for free? I thought this was standard and part of the speed doubling program?

I also work in modem mode and that functions no differently with my kit and previous router to the old modem except it is faster.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,486
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bobcar wrote: »
    Did you have to pay extra for 30M? I got the upgrade from 10-20M free and then a free upgrade and free Superhub to 30M also for free? I thought this was standard and part of the speed doubling program?

I also work in modem mode and that functions no differently with my kit and previous router to the old modem except it is faster.

Yes, I had to pay for the upgrade
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    petey286 wrote: »
    You will not get your old modem back and nor will they give you another one as they just get skipped, your best option is to buy a good N router and use that instead of the router you have at present.

How do I know what is a good router or not? Logic (and my non-techie mind) tells me that an N router is faster than a G router & an N+ should be faster than both of those!

I thought getting this N+ would be the 'bees knees'!!! Evidently not.

No wifi signal 30 ft away from the router or the Superdud!
  • Ernie_CErnie_C Posts: 2,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Given that you are not using the Superhub to provide wifi, your new router must be at fault, as it is providing this function now.

Time for you to provide information about this new router - make, model, etc.
  • sodafountainsodafountain Posts: 16,829
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Indeed, as you have bought a new wifi router that also does not work, there is something else causing the problem.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ernie_C wrote: »
    Given that you are not using the Superhub to provide wifi, your new router must be at fault, as it is providing this function now.

Time for you to provide information about this new router - make, model, etc.

Belkin F5D8235-4 v2000 (N+)

http://wikidevi.com/wiki/Belkin_F5D8235-4_v2_(v20xx)
  • Jez_GafysJez_Gafys Posts: 291
    Forum Member
    You complain about the superhubs wifi performance yet you confirmed you changed it to your own router and that was just as bad hence it isn't the super hub at fault. Like others have mentioned could be other wifi causing issues. Try dropping the power down on either the superhub or your wireless n router, it could be the 54g one performed better because of the transmit power of ofc look at the used channels local to you. Don't use auto but set it as far from others as possible.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Sounds like there are other networks close by operating on the same or adjacent channel as the wireless-n router, causing interference/drop-outs. The problem follows the wireless-n signals, so the VM 30meg service is fine.

Try changing the channel to a free one or one that is less busy.

Install InSSIDer (from http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/) and check for free channels and/or strong neighbouring networks.
    The maximum number on Wifi in my street never goes above 6-7 users.

Ive run the above software 3-4 times & Im the only one ever online!

I have changed the Channel, but again the signal doesnt exist in the next room through the walls, but OK upstairs directly above the room with the router - paper thin celings I guess!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jez_Gafys wrote: »
    You complain about the superhubs wifi performance yet you confirmed you changed it to your own router and that was just as bad hence it isn't the super hub at fault.

Hi Jez. Thanks for replying.

After install, when the Superhub was in all in one router & modem mode, I had exactly the same problems, hence putting it in modem mode only & attaching the old G router to it - when that worked fine, I bought the N+ router, which has given me the same initial problems
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ive tinkered about with the router's settings on its status page, and moved the router from the TV/Sky box shelf, and it seems to have made a difference in that I can get a signal in the next room for my wifi radio....

Although wife not happy at the new position of router on coffee table!!!

Will tinker more!