Options

Live Premier League Games 2012/13

Comments

• Options
    jlp95bwfcjlp95bwfc Posts: 18,415
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mark F wrote: »
    Why is it not on the Bank Holiday Sunday?

It's the day after the CL final. There wouldn't be enough time to get rid of all of the CL branding and put the FL branding in place.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    It is on Sunday!

Maybe you meant Monday? I don't know, I don't set the schedule.

League 2 Play-off Final is on the Saturday (Sky - SS2, 1pm).

I think they mean Sunday May 26th (BH is on 27th, CL final 25th).
  • Options
    mogzyboymogzyboy Posts: 6,436
    Forum Member
    Are the League One and League Two Play-Off Finals at Wembley this time? I remember that in 2011, UEFA had some nonsense in the rules that meant Wembley couldn't be used for football for 14 days before the CL Final, meaning those two games moved to Old Trafford.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mogzyboy wrote: »
    Are the League One and League Two Play-Off Finals at Wembley this time? I remember that in 2011, UEFA had some nonsense in the rules that meant Wembley couldn't be used for football for 14 days before the CL Final, meaning those two games moved to Old Trafford.

Yes they are, as discussed in the previous page of the thread :).
  • Options
    seagull_Markseagull_Mark Posts: 3,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Exactly, so with a match finishing at 3.10pm at the latest there is a full 45 minutes to get the presentation in, some people do like to panic over absolutely nothing on here don't they? :rolleyes:

Extra time may complicate it though, granted...

Yes but the play off final isn't on ss3 it's on ss1. So not 45 minutes.
  • Options
    Mark FMark F Posts: 54,077
    Forum Member
    jlp95bwfc wrote: »
    I think they mean Sunday May 26th (BH is on 27th, CL final 25th).

Yes - sorry should have been more clear.
  • Options
    Ginger DaddyGinger Daddy Posts: 8,507
    Forum Member
    Yes but the play off final isn't on ss3 it's on ss1. So not 45 minutes.

Still a good 20 minutes though so plenty of time, again I don't quite see the panic.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes they are, as discussed in the previous page of the thread :).
    Ah, apologies. That'll learn me for posting without reading most of today's discussion. :o

I have caught up now. Thanks, though. :)
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Still a good 20 minutes though so plenty of time, again I don't quite see the panic.

I was going to say, when you speak about Sky's scheduling it sounds potentially problematic to me. For a play-off final I'd like to see more build-up and post-match, and for the final day I think there should be more than half an hour's build up - maybe they'll do a 'preview' show around midday like they didi in 2009?

If the play-off final goes to extra time/penalites then it's going to start to get messy.
  • Options
    PhilH36PhilH36 Posts: 26,311
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Judio wrote: »
    I remember one of the matches only being available on the Red Button a few years ago !!!

Yep,that was Sunderland-Chelsea.
    Mark F wrote: »
    Why is it not on the Bank Holiday Sunday?

There is no such thing as a "Bank Holiday Sunday".
  • Options
    ReadingfanReadingfan Posts: 10,256
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's the day after the CL final. There wouldn't be enough time to get rid of all of the CL branding and put the FL branding in place.

Yeah, plus in that case the League 2 play-off final would be on the BH Saturday....which would be the same day as the Champions League final! I guess it helps for the L1 and L2 play-off finals to be together as it generates more interest than if you just had the L2 play-off as a standalone.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    To be honest, if the PO Final overruns a bit (goes to penalties), then just showing the Super Sunday titles and straight to the match will keep me happy.

Theoretically, all the loose ends could be tied up by then anyway, plus SSN would've overhyped whatever's left to sort out all week long anyway.

Sky won't shift the PO Final just to accommodate some build-up.
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Readingfan wrote: »
    I was going to say, when you speak about Sky's scheduling it sounds potentially problematic to me. For a play-off final I'd like to see more build-up and post-match, and for the final day I think there should be more than half an hour's build up - maybe they'll do a 'preview' show around midday like they didi in 2009?.

Yes, I was going to mention this, in 2009 the League One Play-Off Final was on the same day as the final day of the season and Sky had Keys and Gray live at noon, then coverage of the play-off final started at 12.45 for a one o'clock kick-off, with the Premier League coverage beginning at 3.30. And the other match on SS3, with cricket on SS2, so exactly like this season.

The last year they had the Cup Final it was scheduled for straight after a play-off semi which went into extra time from a 12 noon kick-off so the coverage didn't begin until after 2.30. Not that Sky were that bothered about the Cup Final in those days.
  • Options
    VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 wrote: »
    Sun 19 May:

SS1:
    1pm Live League 1 Play-off Final
    3.30pm Live Ford Super Sunday (ends 7pm)

SS3:
    4pm Live Ford Super Sunday (ends 6pm)

NB. Only draft, can change, expect SS3 to actually start at 3.55pm.

Query - I thought Sky had to show the EPL/Top Pick sports on SS1&2?
  • Options
    Steve WilliamsSteve Williams Posts: 11,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »

I would suggest a test match was more of a "top pick" than a second choice PL match that could end up being completely irrelevant. See also the umpteen Champions League matches with British teams on SS4.
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not every last PL game needs to be on SS1 and SS2. Only before Christmas Wigan-Arsenal is relegated to SS3.

I reckon that it would Sky to regularly schedule PL games outside of SS1 and SS2 for problems to arise.

Although isn't there now a different stance with the OFCOM ruling?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would suggest a test match was more of a "top pick" than a second choice PL match that could end up being completely irrelevant. See also the umpteen Champions League matches with British teams on SS4.

Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Igloo_Man wrote: »
    Not every last PL game needs to be on SS1 and SS2. Only before Christmas Wigan-Arsenal is relegated to SS3.

I reckon that it would Sky to regularly schedule PL games outside of SS1 and SS2 for problems to arise.

Although isn't there now a different stance with the OFCOM ruling?

I'm not sure about the CAT/Ofcom ruling. I thought it only related to the wholesale prices Sky can charge, not actual access to the channels by third parties. But I'm not sure about that.
  • Options
    Igloo_ManIgloo_Man Posts: 2,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure about the CAT/Ofcom ruling. I thought it only related to the wholesale prices Sky can charge, not actual access to the channels by third parties. But I'm not sure about that.

mlt11 will probably clear this up but I think the channels Sky have to offer to other platforms could change if Sky showcase a high proportion of their premier content on Sky exclusive channels. But I'm not too sure either really.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mlt11 will correct me if I've missed anything out (although I can remember him posting this information several times, so wouldn't blame him if he was bored of repeating himself :D).

The original ruling (prior to the CAT one) meant that SS1 and SS2 were regulated because they offered the most content (in terms of amount and event importance).

As far as I understand it, SS3 and SS4 would come under this ruling if the quality of SS1 and SS2 was diminished to such a level where Ofcom felt that SS3 or SS4 were offering more/better content. Sky could easily get away with putting 10 PL games (at most I'd imagine) onto SS3 without Ofcom getting involved.

Let's not forget that SS4 regularly has important Champions League games on it, meaning BTV/TUTV customers can't view them.

I would say that a good example of Sky shifting programming to be a bit naughty (for want of a better word) is the current Sky1 / Sky Atlantic situation. Shows such as The Following, Vegas and Blue Bloods would fit in well on Sky1, but Sky Atlantic is, oddly enough, a Sky-exclusive channel at the moment, so the prime stuff is on there.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    @mogzyboy

Thanks for that, but I was referring to the fact I didn't fully understand the implications of the CAT ruling. Or, further to this, if in fact Ofcom/BT could still appeal it.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    @mogzyboy

Thanks for that, but I was referring to the fact I didn't fully understand the implications of the CAT ruling. Or, further to this, if in fact Ofcom/BT could still appeal it.
    Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry.

While BT are waiting to see if they are allowed to take their appeal over the CAT ruling to the Court of Appeal, the original ruling on SS1 and SS2 remains in place.

If BT's application is turned down, then that's when things may change.

If BT's application is successful, then I assume the current arrangement stays in place until BT's appeal is heard, and an outcome of that appeal is known.
  • Options
    mlt11mlt11 Posts: 21,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mlt11 will correct me if I've missed anything out (although I can remember him posting this information several times, so wouldn't blame him if he was bored of repeating himself :D).

The original ruling (prior to the CAT one) meant that SS1 and SS2 were regulated because they offered the most content (in terms of amount and event importance).

As far as I understand it, SS3 and SS4 would come under this ruling if the quality of SS1 and SS2 was diminished to such a level where Ofcom felt that SS3 or SS4 were offering more/better content. Sky could easily get away with putting 10 PL games (at most I'd imagine) onto SS3 without Ofcom getting involved.

Let's not forget that SS4 regularly has important Champions League games on it, meaning BTV/TUTV customers can't view them.

Yes, that's broadly it.

Please see my post 7 on the following link for the exact OFCOM ruling:

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1772419&highlight=wigan+v+arsenal
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ah, I misunderstood. Sorry.

While BT are waiting to see if they are allowed to take their appeal over the CAT ruling to the Court of Appeal, the original ruling on SS1 and SS2 remains in place.

If BT's application is turned down, then that's when things may change.

If BT's application is successful, then I assume the current arrangement stays in place until BT's appeal is heard, and an outcome of that appeal is known.

Yes, again that is correct.

Please see my posts 83 and 84 on the following link for the latest position in more detail.

http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1713355&page=4&highlight=cat
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

It does cover access - that's the whole point of it - see link, paragraph 1.7.

If you don't mind me saying this has also been gone over on similar threads many times before but I can't find them in a quick search!!!;)

http://stakeholders.ofcom.org.uk/consultations/third_paytv/statement/