Doc Martin (Part 15 — Spoilers)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 340
    Forum Member
    Mofromco wrote: »
    Perhaps you are right. My perception may be colored by the fact that my elderly neighbors in Tucson introduced me to the program and that upon arriving in Panama I met a guy in the neighboring casita who is an avid fan. Lets just wait and see. Until then I'll continue to communicate with all the rest of us crazies. M

Well, I said not long ago that while I could get Call the Midwife and Downton Abby at Target - no Doc Martin in sight. The local B&N brick and mortar has a whole section of British TV but other than that it is a wasteland. I think that it is not in the mainstream - even folks who watch some PBS are not really hooked on DM.
    My PBS (2 stations) only bought series 1&2 and started running them last fall when in fact by then all 5 series were available on DVD. I worry that no more funding will be available for additional.
    The availability and the viewership in the US is scetchy at best
    But I think this is not confined to only DM - many of the British series I see on US PBS are not available on US format DVD or are, as with DM, many months behind the viewing in Britan.
    Just every once in a while we get a phenomenon like Downton Abby or Call the Midwife.
  • ConniejConniej Posts: 972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Well, I said not long ago that while I could get Call the Midwife and Downton Abby at Target - no Doc Martin in sight. The local B&N brick and mortar has a whole section of British TV but other than that it is a wasteland. I think that it is not in the mainstream - even folks who watch some PBS are not really hooked on DM.
    My PBS (2 stations) only bought series 1&2 and started running them last fall when in fact by then all 5 series were available on DVD. I worry that no more funding will be available for additional.
    The availability and the viewership in the US is scetchy at best
    But I think this is not confined to only DM - many of the British series I see on US PBS are not available on US format DVD or are, as with DM, many months behind the viewing in Britan.
    Just every once in a while we get a phenomenon like Downton Abby or Call the Midwife.

They carry Doc Martin at my local Costco which is a pretty mainstream chain in the US.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    cc.cookie wrote: »
    Mothers
    Dyou think it is possible to reconcile with a mother as horrible as Margaret Ellingham?

What do you think would be a believable premise for her return and her approach to DM?

I guess she could have found true love and realised what she said to DM last time was wrong.

Or the baby could have softened her?

I have total confidence in the writers making it believable but was just wondering what others thought.
    Maybe she has a terminal illness and wants to make amends. Sorry, but after her little speech, I don't even think pending death would make me want to forgive her. You can't just unhear such a horrible thing. :mad::(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member

Maybe Margaret Ellingham comes back to Portwenn to protest Joan's leaving the farm to her sister, Ruth, and wants another piece of the farm.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    Sorry -- I put that in a "spoiler" wrap but it didn't work!
  • NewParkNewPark Posts: 3,537
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mothers
    Dyou think it is possible to reconcile with a mother as horrible as Margaret Ellingham?

What do you think would be a believable premise for her return and her approach to DM?

I guess she could have found true love and realised what she said to DM last time was wrong.

I have total confidence in the writers making it believable but was just wondering what others thought.
    I think her fortunes must have taken a sharp turn for the worse -- lover abandoned her and/or Christopher died and cut her out of his will, etc., she is penniless and alone and needs help. ME, being old school in matters of family values, would not immediately kick her to the curb if she shows up unannounced, and, given that ME, for him, was reasonably tolerant of her mother, Louisa would be accommodating also. Especially if he hadn't gotten around to telling her about his last encounter with Margaret, which probably he hadn't . Then I think it's possible that being around JH and seeing the love ME has for Louisa may have softened Margaret up a bit, making a tenuous reconciliation at least conceivable. Hopefully, there will be a scene where Louisa or AR go at her for her emotional abuse of Martin.

It's interesting to think of mothers in the series overall. Louisa is a naturally good mother, if lousy at multi-tasking. AJ is a good mother figure, especially earlier in the series, although perhaps a bit too blunt and forthright. In her own way, AR is another kind of mother substitute, both to DM and even more to Al. But it goes downhill from there ... most of the mothers bringing kids into the surgery are poor child managers, or intrusive, or so aggressive as to set DM's teeth on edge. Then the mother-in-law from hell, down to the nadir that is Margaret. It actually seems like a lot of focus on mother-child relationship (Last Romantic, what some have called, the first romance.) Maybe that's one of those naturally occurring themes that are in the zeitgeist, or maybe it reflects the life cycle status of writers and producers, etc.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Conniej wrote: »
    They carry Doc Martin at my local Costco which is a pretty mainstream chain in the US.

WHat we lack in quantity, we make up for in intensity!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 330
    Forum Member
    Mothers

Maybe I'm a bit harsh, but I certainly don't hope for any reconciliation. This woman had picked on Martin for about 50 years, destroyed any possibility for a normal development as a child, scarred him so badly emotionally that he isn't able to find any joy or company in life (although I do hope that the latter is about to change). He made Martin's life an eternal hell, and I actually don't think she deserves a loving "it's alright, mum, here's your grandson. Now you can mess him about."
    My take is that her gorgeous lover took her last penny conclusively the villa in Portugal and she remembers that there's some nice warm place she feels entitle to settle, as his son has the duty to look after her.
    I hope the scene at the airport was him shipping her to some far away place, preferably the Antarctic.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    IMHO, I'm not sure DM is as wildly popular in the whole of the USA as we here on the Forum think. I've definitely introduced the show to many friends and family (who are hooked, too), but the great majority of people I mention the show to in passing have never heard of it. I encourage them to look it up on Netflix of Hulu, but don't know if they ever do. Certainly, DM does not have nearly the "hysteria" that surrounds Downton Abbey, and PBS programming is not really enjoyed by the majority of adults in America. (Not really surprising, but the demographics for PBS viewership skew towards white, older, college educated, affluent liberal-leaning individuals.) Sadly, I tend to think we live in a bubble, here. :( Fortunately, with each passing year, the word spreads and DM gains new fans around the globe, the US included!:D

It is the same in Australia. It is on the ABC government funded TV station with no commercials at all. They barely announce when the new series of DM is on, let alone forewarn viewers.

A few of my friends watch it but none are obsessed like me :rolleyes: but rather than get hyped up with anticipation over the two year break between seasons most people lose interest.

People here who I have talked to about it are in total agreement that s5 descended into dark and depressive mode. It could just be a cultural interpretation by Australians, I don't know, but a lot if people aren't even interested in s6. This is a small subset of Aussies. :cool::D
    Forum Member

Sorry, not as mainstream as Target, and not carried at Sam's Club or BJ's - also warehouse clubs.
    Forum Member
    BodminDM wrote: »
    Maybe I'm a bit harsh, but I certainly don't hope for any reconciliation. This woman had picked on Martin for about 50 years, destroyed any possibility for a normal development as a child, scarred him so badly emotionally that he isn't able to find any joy or company in life (although I do hope that the latter is about to change). He made Martin's life an eternal hell, and I actually don't think she deserves a loving "it's alright, mum, here's your grandson. Now you can mess him about."
    My take is that her gorgeous lover took her last penny conclusively the villa in Portugal and she remembers that there's some nice warm place she feels entitle to settle, as his son has the duty to look after her.
    I hope the scene at the airport was him shipping her to some far away place, preferably the Antarctic.

I agree with Bodmin. I just can't imagine a reconcilliation so I think it is also all about money.
    given the backstory, I can't see DM notifying his parents - and certainly not his mother - about the baby.
    It will certainly be interesting to discover the imagination of the writers and producers (MC/PB) in bringing back this most heinous character.
    Can you imagine him calling her "mummy" now?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I think her fortunes must have taken a sharp turn for the worse -- lover abandoned her and/or Christopher died and cut her out of his will, etc., she is penniless and alone and needs help. ME, being old school in matters of family values, would not immediately kick her to the curb if she shows up unannounced, and, given that ME, for him, was reasonably tolerant of her mother, Louisa would be accommodating also. Especially if he hadn't gotten around to telling her about his last encounter with Margaret, which probably he hadn't . Then I think it's possible that being around JH and seeing the love ME has for Louisa may have softened Margaret up a bit, making a tenuous reconciliation at least conceivable. Hopefully, there will be a scene where Louisa or AR go at her for her emotional abuse of Martin.

It's interesting to think of mothers in the series overall. Louisa is a naturally good mother, if lousy at multi-tasking. AJ is a good mother figure, especially earlier in the series, although perhaps a bit too blunt and forthright. In her own way, AR is another kind of mother substitute, both to DM and even more to Al. But it goes downhill from there ... most of the mothers bringing kids into the surgery are poor child managers, or intrusive, or so aggressive as to set DM's teeth on edge. Then the mother-in-law from hell, down to the nadir that is Margaret. It actually seems like a lot of focus on mother-child relationship (Last Romantic, what some have called, the first romance.) Maybe that's one of those naturally occurring themes that are in the zeitgeist, or maybe it reflects the life cycle status of writers and producers, etc.

To paraphrase Louise Jameson, she called Eleanor G, a crap mom. She did not want to be that way, but she was...

So will Margaret E feel the same way? :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    dmbesotted wrote: »
    Sorry, not as mainstream as Target, and not carried at Sam's Club or BJ's - also warehouse clubs.

We don't have Sam's Club or BJ's in my area. I listed Costco because it is known nationally, the 2nd largest retailer in the US and 7th in the world! I wonder if their buyer is a big DM fan? They don't have a really huge DVD area but they have DM. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 594
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2127091/Confessions-real-Doc-Martin.html

Great interview with Dr. Martin Scurr, who is the medical adviser for a certain TV show. Warning! There is a spoiler way near the end... Be warned!

But he also talks about the origin of the series, his work with Dominic Minghella, and those pesky 'moobs.' :)

And as for that spoiler... I used a similar thing in chapter 1 of my fanfic "Are You Happy Now?" when Martin comes across the foul tempered Mr. Porter from their failed wedding. The man has a similar medical issue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FYI - Some great pics posted on my FB spoiler page. Not really spoiler content but MC in street clothes arriving in his BMW and other cast members.
  • MofromcoMofromco Posts: 1,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    FYI - Some great pics posted on my FB spoiler page. Not really spoiler content but MC in street clothes arriving in his BMW and other cast members.

Conniej, I am so tech challenged ...take me to your pictures.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've not seen any pictures of Phlippa this year. In past years hasn't she at least sometimes accompanied Martin to the set?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej, I am so tech challenged ...take me to your pictures.

You won't be able to see them unless you ask to join. If you do a search in FB under Doc Martin Series 6 - Spoiler Group. Just ask to join and I can approve you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    NewPark wrote: »
    I've not seen any pictures of Phlippa this year. In past years hasn't she at least sometimes accompanied Martin to the set?

Yes. Usually - maybe she has other projects going on. I've heard from several sources that she was sick at the same time as MC. Maybe she got behind in her work also. There's also Emily. I remember seeing pics of them together at a horse camp thing a year ago about this time.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 137
    Forum Member
    I just bought my plane ticket to England for Buckham Fair. I literally cried, I was so happy. :D:D:D:D:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You won't be able to see them unless you ask to join. If you do a search in FB under Doc Martin Series 6 - Spoiler Group. Just ask to join and I can approve you.

Conniej. I am on Facebook but I really don't know how to do what you are telling me to do. When I do on Facebook I get a strange mixture of Carol's photos and other posts and comments . I'm confused. How do I learn how to use this site? I feel like a dinosaur but I'm ready to learn. Where are the instructions? I want to see your pics!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Conniej. I am on Facebook but I really don't know how to do what you are telling me to do. When I do on Facebook I get a strange mixture of Carol's photos and other posts and comments . I'm confused. How do I learn how to use this site? I feel like a dinosaur but I'm ready to learn. Where are the instructions? I want to see your pics!

I think you must be looking at the 'Doc Martin (Martin Clunes) Fan Club Page'. If you type in the search box at the top of the page for 'Doc Martin Series 6 - Spoilers Group' you should be able to click on that and ask to join. I'll put a link below but sometimes they don't work for people.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/228618800521299/
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I figured it out my friend. Muchas gracias
  • mazziebluemazzieblue Posts: 263
    Forum Member
    Yes. Usually - maybe she has other projects going on. I've heard from several sources that she was sick at the same time as MC. Maybe she got behind in her work also. There's also Emily. I remember seeing pics of them together at a horse camp thing a year ago about this time.

I saw her once when I was out there. (They were filming a scene with Dame Eileen.) The crew referred to her as "The Missus". I though that was really cute.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mazzieblue wrote: »
    I saw her once when I was out there. (They were filming a scene with Dame Eileen.) The crew referred to her as "The Missus". I though that was really cute.

It is a very unique setup they have with this show. Martin starring and Philippa producing. MC has mentioned that a majority of the crew come back for every series so they must enjoy it.
This discussion has been closed.