Team GB's Lisa Dobriskey - "I don't believe I'm competing on a level playing field".

ProvinceProvince Posts: 587
Forum Member
✭✭
Interesting comments from Lisa Dobriskey, British 1500m runner.

From athleticsweekly.com:
British athletes Lisa Dobriskey and Laura Weightman brought up the back of the field in the final. Yet rather than maintain an honourable silence, Dobriskey spoke her mind on the matter.

She told BBC Radio 5 Live: “I’ll probably get into trouble for saying this but I don’t believe I’m competing on a level playing field.”

Full article here:

http://www.athleticsweekly.com/blog/london-2012-olympics-turkish-delight-or-doubt/

Comments

• BesterBester Posts: 9,698
    Forum Member
    Two separate issues;

1) The 1500m is in a right state
    2) This doesn't really explain why she finished behind 9 other athletes. Surely they can't ALL be cheating......
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,174
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Two separate issues;

1) The 1500m is in a right state
    2) This doesn't really explain why she finished behind 9 other athletes. Surely they can't ALL be cheating......

Of course another angle is 3), everyone else knows how to run a tactical race and she doesn't [yet] :confused:
  • nobabydaddynobabydaddy Posts: 2,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sympathy for Lisa Dobrisky on this. I don't think it is a level playing field.
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh what sour grapes. Try to run faster next time.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have sympathy for Lisa Dobrisky on this. I don't think it is a level playing field.

Unfortunately she must either maintain a dignified silence or provide proof :cry:
  • ParthenonParthenon Posts: 7,499
    Forum Member
    Not sure how this can be when they ran nowhere near WR pace... She just ran a very poor race tactically.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Many former athletes aren't happy with the result so it doesn't surprise me that current athletes that it directly affects aren't happy either.

Tonight both the female 1500m winner and female Hammer winner have served bans for doping in the past :mad:. It's not really sending out the right message is it? :rolleyes:.
  • Stone_JonesStone_Jones Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    She is a legend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps she can become a tv presenter when she retires!!!!!!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Parthenon wrote: »
    Not sure how this can be when they ran nowhere near WR pace... She just ran a very poor race tactically.

Needed to be at the front of the group not the back, how did she expect to win it from the rear? :cry:
  • Ivor BiggunIvor Biggun Posts: 2,232
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why did she finish so far down in a "slow" race.
    She's a below average athlete who really shouldn't bother pulling on the vest.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Unfortunately she must either maintain a dignified silence or provide proof :cry:

The person who won did serve a ban for doping so I can understand Lisa feeling angry about that.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    The person who won did serve a ban for doping so I can understand Lisa feeling angry about that.

I agree, but is the winner doping right now?
  • Serial LurkerSerial Lurker Posts: 10,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bester wrote: »
    Surely they can't ALL be cheating......

Heh...
  • ShappyShappy Posts: 14,531
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »

But the rules are, once you've served your time, you can come back to the sport. It's like saying someone who has been in jail is never allowed to work again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    But the rules are, once you've served your time, you can come back to the sport. It's like saying someone who has been in jail is never allowed to work again.

And unfortunately if you don't like the playing field you are not actually forced to play on it. You could go off and do something else with your time :o
  • Psycho_NedPsycho_Ned Posts: 17,734
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bit of an odd time to make the comment really, fair enough if you think the winner shouldn't be there you can think that and maybe even air it in public if you were touched off right at the end by them to cost you a medal but to come out and say it after you've come 9th what does that prove?

Ok Lisa we'll take the drug cheat out of the race......you've come 8th now!

Hardly like the winner ran at a pace which affected the way the race panned out either so she can't say she had to run too fast to keep up.
  • Tannhauser GateTannhauser Gate Posts: 17,739
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There's only one person I have sympathy for in that race and it isn't Dobrisky. Poor Morgan Uceny didn't even get the chance to compete!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There's only one person I have sympathy for in that race and it isn't Dobrisky. Poor Morgan Uceny didn't even get the chance to compete!

They shouldn't have played the Mary Decker-Zolo Budd thing beforehand... :o
  • Stone_JonesStone_Jones Posts: 225
    Forum Member
    She reminds me of a children's tv presenter. Why did she become an athlete when kids tv was her natural calling in life? I hope she reads this post and reconsiders. It's not too late, Lisa. CBBC needs you. XXXXX
  • cath99cath99 Posts: 6,826
    Forum Member
    The winner has been running faster times than when she got caught and banned for doping.

Lisa probably shouldn't have made these comments now, especially after she ran such a poor race, but I think everyone who knows athletics was thinking exactly the same thing today.

Very sad. We've had at least 3 athletics winners with incredibly dodgy pasts (and questionable present form).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She reminds me of a children's tv presenter. Why did she become an athlete when kids tv was her natural calling in life? I hope she reads this post and reconsiders. It's not too late, Lisa. CBBC needs you. XXXXX

Jake Humphreys started on CBBC after all :eek::eek::eek:
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dopers are always looking for new ways to beat the tests.
    So they're always going to be one step ahead of the testers.

The testers will say they aren't, they ain't gonna admit it can be done, are they?

7,000 (or how many now) tests and only one positive?
    Are all the other 6,999 athletes squeaky clean?

I doubt it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,302
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Shappy wrote: »
    Yes you can but that's what some people want to change (i.e. lifetime bans for cheats - at least for major championships).

I don't think Dobriskey is suggesting that it was the reason for her not getting a medal, she is probably just airing her frustration about the winner as many (mostly former) athletes have been doing. Also don't forget that one of the top female 1500m runners from Morocco was caught doping recently, so it's not surprising that she feels the way she does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The dopers are always looking for new ways to beat the tests.
    So they're always going to be one step ahead of the testers.

The testers will say they aren't, they ain't gonna admit it can be done, are they?

7,000 (or how many now) tests and only one positive?
    Are all the other 6,999 athletes squeaky clean?

I doubt it.

The trouble is, there needs to be proof positive otherwise it is all just smoke and mirrors :o
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If she was going to say it, then she was actually in good position to say it when she did.

If she'd said it after getting within a whisker of the medal places it would have sounded even more like sour grapes.