Four in a Bed. New series!!

Comments

• CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    habby wrote: »
    I don't like the way Judith/James inflict their personal tastes on what they think their guests should have.

Because she thinks people should come to the country and look around and not watch tv, they don't have tv's in the room. :rolleyes: And she's not bothered about dusting.

If they're in that businesss then they should thinkl of their guests first.
    I think the prices reflect the quality and only people who wanted that 'away from it all' experience would go there.

This is the problem with FIAB as someone said earlier, people dont judge on the offering and the market it adresses and then how well it respresents VFM,, they judge on personal taste.
    I would pay £165 and go and stay at Satis House if it was a special occasion as I know it would be a very enjoyable stay, in luxurious surroundings.

If I wanted just a bed for the night, then I'd go for the cheaper end B&B
    I could go far nicer places for that money or less.
    SueG wrote: »
    I think cleanliness is the least you can expect and I so think it was right that they were penalised for the lack of it.

It may not have been sterile but it wasn't dirty.
  • CherrybomberCherrybomber Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Normandie wrote: »
    If Judith had paid more attention to detail, there'd have been 3 In First Place, I reckon.

Really? No, the men underpaid and that underpyment was unreasonable when one takes into account VFM.
  • squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I rather like the results. The yellow sub may have been better if they had split the cost of renting it out 3 ways rather then charge full cost per room. and it really isn't a bed an breakfast - it's more a self catering. However, I think it might be an excellent place to stay location wise. Judith and James just need to address the TV and or wifi issue (they can't do much about signal) I wouldn't stay there because of the lack of one or the other (I don't need both). I still think that it is good value for money price wise. Thought the joint winners were worthy but Satis is very expensive for a b&B - it's more of a botique hotel with brekkie. I think there is a need to keep b&bs as they were originally and not go American on them (and I'm american).
  • NormandieNormandie Posts: 4,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, the men underpaid and that underpyment was unreasonable when one takes into account VFM.
    Value for money should never have a sliding scale of acceptable cleanliness as part of the assessment criteria. If Judith's rooms had been £10 cheaper would unwashed pillowcases have therefore been acceptable? Of course not.

A property should be clean and cobwebs and a spider within a bedside lampshade is a sign of a lack of attention to detail however cheap the room. Unless you're a spider. :D
  • SolarSailSolarSail Posts: 7,676
    Forum Member
    A tie!

Good result IMO

AND
    Channel 4 splashed out on two plaques :eek:
    I did wonder if it might be a six month share job ;)
    habby wrote: »
    I don't like the way Judith/James inflict their personal tastes on what they think their guests should have.
    ...If they're in that businesss then they should thinkl of their guests first.

Absolutely right, whatever they were offering it should have the guests and their comfort as top priority, which is why the worst comment of all for me was Megan's regarding Alfie finding his room cold/

We've arrived at a hotel with no heating on in the cold weather and when we complained, were told it came on a bit later.
    Not good enough.

The small spaces on the boat didn't suit Megan and Alfie didn't accept that and Megan resented Alfie's effort to warm his room with the hairdryer.
    None of which is very hospitable.
    Normandie wrote: »
    If Judith had paid more attention to detail, there'd have been 3 In First Place, I reckon..

Absolutely. If it had been acceptably clean or even as spotless as two of the other venues and if they'd provided small TVs in the rooms, they'd probably have got some overpayment and therefore won.

I don't have thick dust and cobwebby fixtures and fittings at home* and so I really don't want to pay to go and suffer them, no matter how cheap.

*except the back of the log burning stove. It's a huge source of amusement when our daughter brings her cats, as the black one likes to wriggle behind it and always comes out with a cobweb beard :D
    Then again, I don't charge anyone to stay here anyway .
  • Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would pay £165 and go and stay at Satis House if it was a special occasion as I know it would be a very enjoyable stay, in luxurious surroundings.

If I wanted just a bed for the night, then I'd go for the cheaper end B&B

Exactly!

I think the result was fair. And when you take into account that Satis House was only £40 more than TYS, with all its facilities and a proper breakfast, it puts it even more into perspective. Personally, I think £80 as paid by Megan was plenty for TYS.

I'm just pleased that for once a high priced luxury place, and a very reasonably priced B&B came out the same, being judged spot on excellent for the price and their markets.
  • Ten_BenTen_Ben Posts: 2,534
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    squadge wrote: »
    I rather like the results. The yellow sub may have been better if they had split the cost of renting it out 3 ways rather then charge full cost per room. and it really isn't a bed an breakfast - it's more a self catering. However, I think it might be an excellent place to stay location wise. Judith and James just need to address the TV and or wifi issue (they can't do much about signal) I wouldn't stay there because of the lack of one or the other (I don't need both). I still think that it is good value for money price wise. Thought the joint winners were worthy but Satis is very expensive for a b&B - it's more of a botique hotel with brekkie. I think there is a need to keep b&bs as they were originally and not go American on them (and I'm american).

I thought it did have wi-fi, Alfie spoke about using email, the following morning.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The flaw with this programme is basing scores on how much the guests think it's worth. The pricing of the B&Bs depends on the area as well as the quality. If you live in an area where the going rate for a nice place is £70 a night, a £140 a night place is always going to seem expensive. We've seen in the past where people have knocked money off the score because they would never pay more than £100 or so for a B&B, regardless of how nice the place was.

People are also unlikely to over-pay even if the place is worth it, it goes against everything we know.

I would make it so they score the B&B with percentages in different categories like the form - cleanliness, breakfast, hosting etc. like Four Weddings does.

Mini rant over :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I quite liked them :o

Me too. I thought them charming and at the end they were happy to rethink Alfie. Their place would be for a special occasion and you would judge it on that. There are lots of trimmings there and the pace looks immaculate. Alfie's place is a novelty stay for those who fancy it and they should provide a "French" breakfast and just forget the junk. I would imagine Philip is a friend/investor and maybe had other committments. Megan's place would be fine with me and I'm sure they'd do me a good veggie breakfast. I got the impression Julia was somewhat of an amateur..I'm no "good housewife" but I expect people to have higher standards when catering for the others.
    I do, however hope this isn't a leaning towards "celebratty" FIAB with Philip and the boys having a showbizzy connection. IM(not so) HO the celebratty versions of CT and CDWM have been their undoing. Maybe I am panicing unduly.
    What a contrast with last week..they all had respect for each other and if there was game playing it was certainly fairer play. They all seemed to genuinely get on with the exception that Alfie being a little too wacky for them .Finally though they could see he was fair and appreciative.
  • hooterhooter Posts: 30,206
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The flaw with this programme is basing scores on how much the guests think it's worth. The pricing of the B&Bs depends on the area as well as the quality. If you live in an area where the going rate for a nice place is £70 a night, a £140 a night place is always going to seem expensive. We've seen in the past where people have knocked money off the score because they would never pay more than £100 or so for a B&B, regardless of how nice the place was.

People are also unlikely to over-pay even if the place is worth it, it goes against everything we know.

I would make it so they score the B&B with percentages in different categories like the form - cleanliness, breakfast, hosting etc. like Four Weddings does.

Funnily enough I was watching this evening and thought more or less the same as you. You can`t really compare a hotel type environment with someone doing BandB from their own home. The programme makers need to rethink the scoring process, your suggestion of it being something like the Four Weddings scoring system is a good idea.
  • CABINETCABINET Posts: 1,787
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm afraid that macerating toilets are a complete no-no for me and my OH so the Yellow Submarine is of no interest at any price.

We encountered one of these horrors at, an otherwise lovely, B and B in France. It took two noisy attempts to flush away a little wee and small amount of toilet paper. I can't imagine how it would cope with anything more substantial - we didn't dare put it to the test and I suffered as a result :mad:. Sorry - too much information :o.

We felt embarrassed to use it in the night because it was so noisy but really had no choice.
  • MRSgotobedMRSgotobed Posts: 3,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do quite like the questionnaire part at the end, when they think about the whole experience once they have eaten breakfast. My favourite question is the one at the end,'Would you stay at *** again?' Money and value for money brings out the competitiveness and game playing, but there are times this system frustrates me, I suppose that's the intention, to stir things up perhaps.
  • BluejuBlueju Posts: 773
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I guess The Yellow Submarine would be a bargain for 6/8 people on the less popular week nights when its cheaper. I had a decko at their website earlier and whether its one or eight people the place is yours alone for the night for the one price. What he should do is set up a voucher deal for one of the Albert Dock eateries to do brekkie...its moored right in the middle of the action there.
  • BurrercupBurrercup Posts: 265
    Forum Member
    Evening all. Sorry but I'm very late to the thread. Took me and hubby 2 hours to get home through the snow (should have been about 15 mins ) Thought we might have to abandon car and walk home !
    I thought tonight's decision was very fair. I can overlook a few cobwebs on my own ceiling but I don't expect it in somewhere I've paid for .And the macerator on the Yellow submarine was a definite no no. So the 2 winners deserved their place.
    Looking forward to next week.
  • ShrikeShrike Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pretty sure Judith & James' place was quite clean - this is 4IAB remember, where anything less than surgical theatre cleanliness is lept apon:)
    Trouble is that for £60 a night there is only so far you can go with cleaning(else you'll need staff), especially when you live in the country.
    I'm pretty sure the only 'caked in dust' bit was the mini suitcase which was obviously there as a joke. The dust otherwise was pretty negligable - though I have to admit to being a bloke who knocks down spider webs about once a year and regards spiders smaller than a dinner plate as pets to be left in peace:D.
  • gboygboy Posts: 4,989
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Great result.

And what a really nice bunch this week - no game playing from anyone!

I'd happily stay in any of this week's establishments; I'd even give the Yellow Submarine a go.

Wonder what next week will bring...?
  • theidtheid Posts: 6,043
    Forum Member
    Shrike wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure Judith & James' place was quite clean - this is 4IAB remember, where anything less than surgical theatre cleanliness is lept apon:)
    Trouble is that for £60 a night there is only so far you can go with cleaning(else you'll need staff), especially when you live in the country.
    I'm pretty sure the only 'caked in dust' bit was the mini suitcase which was obviously there as a joke. The dust otherwise was pretty negligable - though I have to admit to being a bloke who knocks down spider webs about once a year and regards spiders smaller than a dinner plate as pets to be left in peace:D.

Snap! I get a very bad reaction to mosquito bites and absolutely cherish spiders and their webs. You can get rid of the webs on a regular basis because they can make another one in about half an hour, but I would never kill a spider.

Judith and James were my favourite hosts and their B & B was absolutely my cup of campari. The cost. The breakfast. The house and the garden. The pool. Must be blissful in the summer. As someone has already remarked, the Suffolk co-winner was not really my idea of a B & B and the Cornish place was just so hideously depressing - grey stucco not being the most attractive look.

The couple from Cornwall remarked when they went to J & J's place that it was under-priced. Pity they didn't pay what they thought it was worth, then. The outcome would have been quite different.
  • Purple OrchidPurple Orchid Posts: 959
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    MRSgotobed wrote: »
    This sausage talk all week, has given me a craving for them, in a giant yorkshire pud and some creamy mash with lashings of black pepper for tonight's tea.
    I've rented a little fisherman's cottage on Kingsdown Beach in Kent for February.It is self catering, but tattie scones and the full works are definitely on the menu, followed by a long walk.

For now back to work, this assignment is never going to get done and I want it sorted before 5pm tonight.

MrsGTB, can I ask who the cottage rented from please? Been wanting to stay in Kent for ages & that sounds lovely :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A few more...Including one of my new grandson..Max!

http://s1130.beta.photobucket.com/user/dotdashlily/library/Snow

Thank you for posting your photos, I enjoyed looking at them.

Max is so adorable, a real cutie.
  • OsusanaOsusana Posts: 7,459
    Forum Member
    Hi all

I thought this week's 4IAB was a bit underwhelming really. The YS is not a B&B it's a self catering let, Satis House is more hotel than B&B (they have staff and a spa area!) so neither should have been included for me. I would never pay £165 for a B&B.
    So for me the two real winners were Megan and Dick and Judith and John - try as I might and as much as I love Cornwall; I could not warm to Megan. The outside of the property was pretty ugly too although fairly typical of a lot of Cornish properties. It was VFM though.
    My favourite was Judith and Johns' - I don't mind a bit of dust so long as the bed and pillows are spotlessly clean and I love spiders. I also do not mind the lack of a tv in the rooms, I have stayed in many places and the television never goes on.

I do think the Alfie and Phil turned out to be decent chaps and paid fairly, joining in the Phil debate though - I could be classed as cougar age but he did not do anything for me. Boxer's nose and that most off-putting thing for me - a Scouse accent:eek:
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's very true. Judging on rooms, facilities, breakfasts etc makes sense, but the programme is really directed more towards value for money.
    Somewhere charging £200 a night is going to have to be extraordinary to be better value for money than a £60 a night establishment.
    When I watch. I often think that a place may look great, but do I honestly think its worth double or treble the price an inferior place may be charging.
    I guess it would all depend on the circumstances of your stay. Away on business, I'm not going to be around the place a lot, clean and comfortable would be enough. Away for the weekend with my wife, I would be prepared to pay more for a few little luxuries.
  • RichmondBlueRichmondBlue Posts: 21,279
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

That's very true. Judging on rooms, facilities, breakfasts etc makes sense, but the programme is really directed more towards value for money.
    Somewhere charging £200 a night is going to have to be extraordinary to be better value for money than a £60 a night establishment.
    When I watch. I often think that a place may look great, but do I honestly think its worth double or treble the price an inferior place may be charging.

I guess it would all depend on the circumstances of your stay. Away on business, I'm not going to be around the place a lot, clean and comfortable would be enough. Away for the weekend with my wife, I would be prepared to pay more for a few little luxuries.

Sorry..double post. How do you delete ?
  • Tommo781Tommo781 Posts: 4,935
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Next Week:-

http://www.taylorsfarmretreat.co.uk/

http://www.g-boutiquehotel.co.uk/

Amber Guest House, Cleethorpes (can't locate a website)

http://www.theknifeandcleaver.com/
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thank you Tommo, I like the look of Taylor's Farm Retreat.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/amber-guest-house.html?aid=307415. Found this for the Amber Guest House.
  • BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tommo781 wrote: »
    !
    Thanks for that
    Thank you Tommo, I like the look of Taylor's Farm Retreat.

http://www.booking.com/hotel/gb/amber-guest-house.html?aid=307415.

Actually all 3 that we can see look ok to me....looking forward to next week !
This discussion has been closed.