The Great Gatsby [2012]

LennieLennie Posts: 25,356
Forum Member
✭✭✭
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7DonhNflsw

Its lavish - Leo is one my fave actors andhave been waiting for this..... and seeing Leo and Tobey together in a movie is great, finally the trailer :cool:

Comments

• Nick_DKNick_DK Posts: 1,590
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Love The Great Gatsby book but as for the trailer I didn't like it. The look of it just looks to modern for me but I do like Baz Luhrmann so hopefully the film great.
  • LennieLennie Posts: 25,356
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Modern and still has the 1920s look to it, but like i say in such a lavish way

I know some ppl wont like the music to it, but i think it suits the lavish-ness and the song lyrics do suit the theme of the movie it seems
  • XIVXIV Posts: 21,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It'll be interesting how it looks in 3D, the trailer looks promising so I hope it's a return to form for Baz Lurhmann after Australia which was good but could have been better.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I didnt think it would be in 3D, but its intriguing how it will look in 3D

I am one of those ppl that isnt into 3D much
  • bookaddictbookaddict Posts: 2,806
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm really looking forward to this. The book is one of my favourite books ever :)

I liked the Robert Redford film, but preferred the Toby Stephens film. This new adaptation looks like it should be good.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this is two films in a row where Dicaprio is miscast, I think he is good in certain things but imo he is wrong for this like he was J Edgar. both films would be so much better with different leads.

his presence is just not big enough imo, he isnt very interesting to watch. its weird, i must be one of the only people that thinks he isnt right for roles like this.

there are 10 other actors that would have been much better as Gatsby.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,466
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    this is two films in a row where Dicaprio is miscast, I think he is good in certain things but imo he is wrong for this like he was J Edgar. both films would be so much better with different leads.

his presence is just not big enough imo, he isnt very interesting to watch. its weird, i must be one of the only people that thinks he isnt right for roles like this.

Completely agree. I don't buy him as Gatsby at all. Robert Redford was the perfect Gatsby.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bookaddict wrote: »
    I'm really looking forward to this. The book is one of my favourite books ever :)

I liked the Robert Redford film, but preferred the Toby Stephens film. This new adaptation looks like it should be good.

Toby Stephans is a good actor, though aint seen none of the other Gatsby movies

Looking forward to Leo as him
  • chrono88chrono88 Posts: 3,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder how lavish those party scenes will be because the book doesn't go too much in details.

Gatsby's house is bigger than I have imagined :lol:
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member

SourCherry wrote: »
    Completely agree. I don't buy him as Gatsby at all. Robert Redford was the perfect Gatsby.
    Also agree. He just doesn't have the looks or impact for some roles.
  • PJ1893PJ1893 Posts: 1,669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lennie wrote: »
    I know some ppl wont like the music to it, but i think it suits the lavish-ness and the song lyrics do suit the theme of the movie it seems

I think 'Love is Blindness' is a great choice for the trailer. I think it works really well. Usually though the songs in the trailer are chosen separately - does anyone know whether Baz is putting more contemporary music in the film?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also think Jack White's version of Love is Blindness suits the trailer

I have no idea what other music - Baz will choose.......
  • mintchocchipmintchocchip Posts: 16,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know nothing about The Great Gatsby but I find Leo very difficult to enjoy in films and often feel he is miscast.I just find him rather cold.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Maybe that will work in his favour. After all, Gatsby manages to pass through unnoticed at his parties with people (such as Nick) not even aware they are speaking to his host.

Although I still think Heath Ledger would have made a stunning Gatsby. Sadness.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe that will work in his favour. After all, Gatsby manages to pass through unnoticed at his parties with people (such as Nick) not even aware they are speaking to his host.

I'm reading the novel for the first time at the moment - and it's hard for me now to NOT picture Leo as I'm reading LOL I'm trying to read it and create my own version of him, but it's not working... :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah but its an understated charisma, a knowing aura. Leo just doesn’t have it, I got nothing against the guy but the fact he gets all these plum roles he is ill fitted for, in some things he can be very effective. I hear you on Ledger playing the role, would have been awesome, death is a bitch. I still think there are a few out there now that would do a better job than Leo though.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yeah but its an understated charisma, a knowing aura. Leo just doesn’t have it, I got nothing against the guy but the fact he gets all these plum roles he is ill fitted for, in some things he can be very effective. I hear you on Ledger playing the role, would have been awesome, death is a bitch. I still think there are a few out there now that would do a better job than Leo though.

Who would you rather got the part? :)

I think Robert Redford is very good in the film, but I find the film as a whole slightly sentimental and badly shot actually.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who would you rather got the part? :)

I think Robert Redford is very good in the film, but I find the film as a whole slightly sentimental and badly shot actually.

Damian Lewis springs to mind as just right imo but I guess he doesn’t have the star power at this moment in time, of someone like Leo anyway. Other obvious mentions, Johnny Depp, Edward Norton, Hugh Jackman, Aaron Eckhart, michael fassbender, Clive Owen. I reckon all those guys have the tools to play that role far better than Dicaprio, bless him :D

I agree about the original, I’m not a great fan but like the character, Redford did do a great job, he was the best thing about the film.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 374
    Forum Member
    The next classic up for adaptation after this is The Count of Monte Cristo in 2013. Tentative working title of 'Cristo' at the moment.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Damian Lewis springs to mind as just right imo but I guess he doesn’t have the star power at this moment in time, of someone like Leo anyway. Other obvious mentions, Johnny Depp, Edward Norton, Hugh Jackman, Aaron Eckhart, michael fassbender, Clive Owen. I reckon all those guys have the tools to play that role far better than Dicaprio, bless him :D

I agree about the original, I’m not a great fan but like the character, Redford did do a great job, he was the best thing about the film.

I'd have hated Johnny Depp in the role, he gets on my nerves. Totally unpopular opinion, I know :D
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,315
    Forum Member
    Hmm. While I'm glad to see Baz L doing his own thing with it (it's certainly not the book), it does look a bit overcooked.

Leo's problem is that he always (at least these days) makes acting look like hard work, and the effort going into it is horribly obvious. Thus he never quite seems natural in the role, despite desperately trying to convince us otherwise. It could be that the true acting greats work the role without that sort of effort showing, even when the character they're portraying is going through Hell.

Agree that Redford wasn't bad as Gatsby in that rather bland version from yonks ago. Myself, always thought Clooney would've made a good go of it, although he's probably too old these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hmm. While I'm glad to see Baz L doing his own thing with it (it's certainly not the book), it does look a bit overcooked.

Leo's problem is that he always (at least these days) makes acting look like hard work, and the effort going into it is horribly obvious. Thus he never quite seems natural in the role, despite desperately trying to convince us otherwise. It could be that the true acting greats work the role without that sort of effort showing, even when the character they're portraying is going through Hell.

Agree that Redford wasn't bad as Gatsby in that rather bland version from yonks ago. Myself, always thought Clooney would've made a good go of it, although he's probably too old these days.

I think it only looks like hard work with Dicaprio when he plays roles that are too big for him or ill fitting. Usually biopic type stuff, he just isnt convincing, like someone in fancy dress trying to convince, as you say. He just hasn't got that on screen presence that arrests you. He can be decent though when playing a role within his scope, he was very good in Departed and Shutter Island imo.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

This should have happened, good call. I agree, probably too old these days.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think Tobey Maguire is a good choice for Nick - I like his voice so I'm glad he'll be the narrator of the film

(Tobey looks very thin in the face in the trailer though...)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Leo's problem is that he always (at least these days) makes acting look like hard work, and the effort going into it is horribly obvious.

I haven't seen many of his recent films, but in his early days I always thought he was very natural on film and had a lot of charisma. It's a shame if he's lost that.

And although for some he was an unpopular choice for Revolutionary Road (the only recent film of his I have seen) - I thought the opening scenes, particularly that big argument at the roadside with Kate Winslet, he was very good. :o:o