The Ratings Thread (Part 45)

Comments

• rivkinrivkin Posts: 400
    Forum Member
    The Battle Of The Ages pilot will be recorded at RADA Studios in London on Thursday 7th February.
    The above show is the fourth ITV1 pilot to be revealed this week.
    The commercial network is currently seeking a new entertainment show to complement its new raft of sitcoms (which will include Vicious and The Job Lot).
    The other ITV pilots announced are topical panel show Oh What A Week!, Alexander Armstrong's You Couldn't Make It Up, and improv format Chat Show Roulette.
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,217
    Forum Member
    F1Ken wrote: »
    Don't thinks so. Long gone those days I'm afraid.

Ken

In that case, has any non-sporting broadcast hit a 10m figure during a normal week in the past few years?
  • FuddFudd Posts: 167,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rivkin wrote: »
    The Battle Of The Ages pilot will be recorded at RADA Studios in London on Thursday 7th February.
    The above show is the fourth ITV1 pilot to be revealed this week.
    The commercial network is currently seeking a new entertainment show to complement its new raft of sitcoms (which will include Vicious and The Job Lot).
    The other ITV pilots announced are topical panel show Oh What A Week!, Alexander Armstrong's You Couldn't Make It Up, and improv format Chat Show Roulette.

That suggests they're looking to schedule them together? :confused:

The last improv show they created (Thank God You're Here) was hardly a success. I'm slightly surprised they're trying again.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hassaan13 wrote: »
    In that case, has any non-sporting broadcast hit a 10m figure during a normal week in the past few years?

Other than Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor? I can't think of anything; not over the summer anyway.
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    this is good news, shame we need to wait till 2015. I also hope its scheulded better than the recent (and excellent) Captain Scarlet series.

I agree with this about the new Thunderbirds series, but I am in two minds about the fact that it will be on the CITV channel.

On the one hand, it is encouraging that new material is being commissioned for that channel - even though I suspect that, reading between the lines, this new series is being made in New Zealand because a lot (most?) of the money is being put up there.

On the other hand, if ITV were ever to have a successful family series (to match Merlin/Doctor Who) surely a Thunderbirds revival would be it. The fact that the head writer has written for Ben 10 worries me a little that they may be aiming at too young an audience, when massive audiences which the original Thunderbirds has got decade after decade show that it appealed to entire families as well as to young children...
  • centauri72centauri72 Posts: 890
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just reread the ITV press release, and it says that the new Thunderbirds series will be on ITV and CITV, so I was wrong about all that.

Roll on 2015:)
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just looked the schedules for next week, in just one week bbc one goes from looking super strong to piss weak!!!!!

SUNDAY BAFTA V MR SELFRIDGE
    MONDAY PENGUINS... V LEWIS
    TUESDAY DEATH IN PARADISE V FOOTBALL
    WEDNESDAY DIY SOS V FROM THE HEART
    THURSDAY CRIMEWATCH V FOOTBALL
    FRIDAY NEW TRICKS (R) V GREAT NIGHT OUT

please tell me this is a one off dodgy week, I could see some close battles there, but all the same bbc1 deserve to lose!!!

This is what I call an interchange point for BBC One. It's when a whole months worth of programming comes to an end and there is a bit of filler in there with one repeat. And during that week new programs well be heavily trailed. Them they will get there Fed-Mar schedule up and running.

It was always going to feel like a comedown after a quite frankly astonishing schedule for January. And I really mean that. But that for a filler week is not to bad. We will be able to see how the new afternoon daytime line up props up the all day share even when they is a slightly weak prime time.

Penguins could do well. The one before Christmas did well at 8pm.

Ken
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    That suggests they're looking to schedule them together? :confused:

The last improv show they created (Thank God You're Here) was hardly a success. I'm slightly surprised they're trying again.

thank god ur here had a few good episodes although know over all it flopped, good to see itv at least trying out new stuff as the comedy area so bare and has been for years so hope some take off
  • HMOHMO Posts: 42,217
    Forum Member
    Fudd wrote: »
    Other than Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor? I can't think of anything; not over the summer anyway.

All the reason why they shouldn't air the semi-finals over a normal week - they won't get the ratings they hope for.
    Forum Member
    This is what I call an interchange point for BBC One. It's when a whole months worth of programming comes to an end and there is a bit of filler in there with one repeat. And during that week new programs well be heavily trailed. Them they will get there Fed-Mar schedule up and running.

It was always going to feel like a comedown after a quite frankly astonishing schedule for January. And I really mean that. But that for a filler week is not to bad.
    Ken

even in a supposed great january for bbc 1 in beeb fans views.
    its saturday night line up been very poor as good old casualty the only thing propping it up.
  • omnidirectionalomnidirectional Posts: 18,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hollyoaks had four episodes in Channel 4's Top 30 for the week beginning 21st January. The highest had 1.45m! Furthermore, two episodes rated above 1 million on E4, 1.25m and 1.07m! Channel 4 should be happy with that.

This week is a big one so it should also rate well. Bryan Kirkwood hasn't lost his magic touch for Hollyoaks.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    This week is a big one so it should also rate well. Bryan Kirkwood hasn't lost his magic touch for Hollyoaks.

Bizarrely, many of the stories currently being covered by Hollyoaks would have translated well for EastEnders (teen bullying, a serial killer, a mad bad boy) though they admittedly may have had to tone down Brendan and Walker slightly!
  • ShadowTillNowShadowTillNow Posts: 2,646
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For anyone interested, the HD broadcast of Being Human's series premiere won't air until Saturday.
  • F1KenF1Ken Posts: 4,229
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rivkin wrote: »
    even in a supposed great january for bbc 1 in beeb fans views.
    its saturday night line up been very poor as good old casualty the only thing propping it up.

Well look at the audience shares and numbers on barb. They are up on last year and 2011 and on 2010 I think. So it has been a great start.

Saturday has been awful. If they would have got that right it would have been faultless. Casualty though still getting half respectable 6m audience in the officials.

I would not call it supposed at all.

Ken
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Weekly Shares;

BBC1 - 21.9%
    BBC2 - 6.2%
    ITV - 15% (inc '+1' - 15.8%)(inc +1 and HD - 17%)
    C4 - 4.9% (inc '+1' - 5.8%)
    C5 - 4.5% (inc '+1' - 4.9%)

BBC1 up on equivalent week last year. BBC2, ITV, C4 and C5 down.
    • BBC1 up 2.8% (19.1% to 21.9%)
    • BBC2 down, heavily at 1.3% (7.5% to 6.2%)
    • ITV down 0.6% (15.6% to 15%)
    • C4 at lowest level since Olympics, down 0.8% (5.7% to 4.9%),
    • C5 slightly down, 0.4% (4.9% to 4.5%).
    The 'Channel 4 in crisis' phrase is back ;)
  • fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Officials confirm The Following as a huge and much needed hit for Sky Atlantic - interestingly I don't think it has had as big a marketing push as some Atlantic shows that did and then disappointed in the ratings. The Tuesday premiere showing added a further 159k on +1, would have placed it 6th in the main channel's top 10.
    000s
    1 THE FOLLOWING (TUE 2201) 908
    2 BLUE BLOODS (THU 2100) 345
    3 THE FOLLOWING (SAT 2101) 334
    4 THE FOLLOWING (WED 2101) 174
    5 GIRLS (MON 2201) 137
    6 THE FOLLOWING (FRI 2201) 121
    7 GAME OF THRONES (SAT 2200) 119
    8 BLUE BLOODS (FRI 2002) 99
    9 HOUSE (THU 1901) 99
    10 HOUSE (TUE 1900) 77

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-top-10?_s=4
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    jda135 wrote: »
    Weekly Shares;

BBC1 - 21.9%
    BBC2 - 6.2%

Those percentages are all wrong. You are talking share points there, not percentages.

And C4 is doing just fine so far this year, utter nonsense to suggest otherwise.
  • AlexiRAlexiR Posts: 22,615
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    centauri72 wrote: »
    Just reread the ITV press release, and it says that the new Thunderbirds series will be on ITV and CITV, so I was wrong about all that.

Roll on 2015:)
    Yeah my assumption upon reading the press release is an original airing on ITV and then repeat airings on CITV. Which seems like a relatively good way to go. I hope its a success if only because it might prompt both ITV and the BBC to be a little more adventurous with some of their 'family' commissions. With the success of The Gruffalo and Room on the Broom at Christmas I'd like to see the BBC invest in some kind of British animated series for that early Saturday evening slot.
  • fodg09fodg09 Posts: 3,602
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    108.4m for the Super Bowl - down on the last two years.

20.8m for Elementary.
  • C14EC14E Posts: 32,165
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fodg09 wrote: »
    108.4m for the Super Bowl - down on the last two years.

20.8m for Elementary.

Third most watched television program in US TV history behind Super Bowl 2012 (111.3m) and Super Bowl 2011 (111.0m). Elementary lowest post Super Bowl show since Alias in 2003.

Seems like it did alright in the UK as well considering the timeslot. I'd imagine many people will have made the mistake of turning off when the Ravens were well out in front or during the power cut.
  • derek500derek500 Posts: 24,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fodg09 wrote: »
    Officials confirm The Following as a huge and much needed hit for Sky Atlantic - interestingly I don't think it has had as big a marketing push as some Atlantic shows that did and then disappointed in the ratings. The Tuesday premiere showing added a further 159k on +1, would have placed it 6th in the main channel's top 10.

The original overnight posted was 270k, don't think that included +1. So 159k for the +1 official is very high. You don't expect +1s to timeshift well.

Arrow on Sky1 timeshifted well too, 540k > 1.305m. No wonder Sky have now stopped staff posting overnights on Twitter.
  • marxavlenmarxavlen Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Those percentages are all wrong. You are talking share points there, not percentages.

And C4 is doing just fine so far this year, utter nonsense to suggest otherwise.

There not wrong. I didn't say percentage gain/lost. I posted the share points gained/lost instead of percentages, so shoot me! There available via this link...;

http://www.barb.co.uk/viewing/weekly-total-viewing-summary?_s=4.

...if you want the percentage difference, then do it yourself.

C4 is down this year. 16-34 is up, as is ABC1 Adults (would be appreciated if someone could post the full month's figures), but the overall audience is down. The 4.9% is reflective of that. Fact.

C5 surprisingly down despite the success of CBB. Then again, it's been down since Desmond took over.

ITV down, despite Lewis, Splash, Corrie. DOI and the Tuesday Flopzone affecting it.

BBC1 up. Evidently because of Africa, Miranda, Mrs Brown Boys, Silent Witness.

BBC2 down, amazingly with the Bake Off, Top Gear and University Challenge all doing so well.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jda135 wrote: »
    Weekly Shares;

BBC1 - 21.9%
    BBC2 - 6.2%

Actually JDA, apart from the racing and occasionally an old film, I can't think of anything we watch on Channel 4. It seems like people aren;t interested in its predictable offerings.
  • iaindbiaindb Posts: 13,278
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

It was always going to feel like a comedown after a quite frankly astonishing schedule for January. And I really mean that. But that for a filler week is not to bad. We will be able to see how the new afternoon daytime line up props up the all day share even when they is a slightly weak prime time.

Penguins could do well. The one before Christmas did well at 8pm.

Ken

Penguins takes over from Africa as BBC1's primetime natural history. It runs on Monday rather than Wednesday because (I believe) the 2 part Who Do YouThink You Are type programme Meet The Izzards will run on Wednesday and Thursday the week after DIY SOS and Crimewatch.

There must be Comic Relief programmes on the way. At the very least a one-off documentary about those celebrities that are rowing up the Zambezi.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dancc wrote: »
    Person of Interest Ratings Update

1-01 14/Aug/12 Pilot: [HIGHLIGHT]2.20m[/HIGHLIGHT]
    1-02 21/Aug/12 Ghosts: [HIGHLIGHT]1.94m[/HIGHLIGHT]
    1-03 28/Aug/12 Mission Creep: [HIGHLIGHT]1.90m[/HIGHLIGHT]
    1-04 04/Sep/12 Cura Te Ipsum: [HIGHLIGHT]1.72m[/HIGHLIGHT]
    1-05 11/Sep/12 Judgement: [HIGHLIGHT]1.74m[/HIGHLIGHT]
    1-06 18/Sep/12 The Fix: [HIGHLIGHT]1.78m[/HIGHLIGHT]
    1-07 25/Sep/12 Witness: [HIGHLIGHT]1.59m[/HIGHLIGHT]
    1-08 02/Oct/12 Foe: [HIGHLIGHT]1.70m*[/HIGHLIGHT]
    1-09 09/Oct/12 Get Carter: [HIGHLIGHT]1.94m[/HIGHLIGHT]
    1-10 16/Oct/12 Number Crunch: [HIGHLIGHT]1.98m[/HIGHLIGHT]
    1-11 27/Jan/13 Super: [HIGHLIGHT]1.80m[/HIGHLIGHT]
    *estimate based on data available.
    data sourced from barb.co.uk;
    all figures include C5+1 and C5HD.

That looks to be a healthy official number for Super. But C5 need more to be tuning in on the night and watching the ads.

Looking at the figures, have no idea why Channel 5 chose to change up its slot and send it off air for several months.
    All in all, Good number for the return episode (1.80m for 'Super'). As you said, this is probably down to +1 though as the actual episode only got something like 1.3m I think. Disappointing that the episode the week after (last Sunday) only got 735k (2.9%) in overnights. Hopefully, +1 helps this increase and hopefully the audience picks up next week Sunday.
This discussion has been closed.