Does anyone at BT VISION know what they are doing?

HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have been trying like wsg on another thread to try to get the new software form my bt vision box I have phoned several times I have e mailed I have been given all kinds of suggestions to upgrade to new software none of which worked all I can get it factory reset which just gives me what I already have NOT THE NEW SOFTWARE AND NEW MENU what more do I have to do to get a sensible answer I know of a guy further up my street who has the new software and he does not know when he got or or how it arrived

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    The software is targeted at your Vision Box by BT. You cannot force the software through hard/soft or any form of resets.
  • HDMIHDMI Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Then. Why have I been told by bt via phone and several e- mails that it can be done manually They have even e- mailed me instructions how to do it and none of the instructions worked
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    I can't answer for the CS at BT, perhaps they didn't realise you wanted to change to the new look Vision and presumed you just wanted the latest software available for your Vision box?

Why are you in such a rush to get the new software?
  • wsgwsg Posts: 185
    Forum Member
    They new exactly that I wanted the new menu as I had told them several times
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 35
    Forum Member
    wsg - be careful what you wish for.
    I would LOVE to have the old fast 'basic' menu system back instead of the slow, bloated, reduced picture definition 'modern' ui it is now.
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You don't want the new EPG, trust me. It's one of the clumsiest, badly-designed EPG's I've ever used in my life. Lots of pretty pictures, terrible functionality.

Using the service is an absolute chore now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yesterday I got a phone call from BT they took all my details and told me I would be getting a new box within the next 3 to 5 working days.About 20 minutes later I got another call from the same guy who then said I would not be getting a replacement as the matter now had to go to another dept and they would phone me sometime. What an awful company they are I have now been trying for 2 weeks to get this sorted
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HDMI wrote: »
    Yesterday I got a phone call from BT they took all my details and told me I would be getting a new box within the next 3 to 5 working days.About 20 minutes later I got another call from the same guy who then said I would not be getting a replacement as the matter now had to go to another dept and they would phone me sometime. What an awful company they are I have now been trying for 2 weeks to get this sorted

As already asked -

Why are you in such a rush to get this new platform, HDMI?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have seen to new software on my neighbours tv and it looks great and he has no complaints,and I cant see why it it taking so long to get a sensible answer from bt why I cant get the new software there really should be a simple solution
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 553
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Basically someone else has something whizzy and new and you demand the right to have it too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    HDMI wrote: »
    I have seen to new software on my neighbours tv and it looks great and he has no complaints,and I cant see why it it taking so long to get a sensible answer from bt why I cant get the new software there really should be a simple solution

But stewM answered your question in post #2, but it appears you choose to ignore his answer -
    stewM wrote: »
    The software is targeted at your Vision Box by BT. You cannot force the software through hard/soft or any form of resets.

And that BT page showing the various ways to get the new look is for Vision users whose boxes failed to upload the already targeted software at the first download attempt.

So theres only one thing required to get this new platform - patience.
  • spookyLXspookyLX Posts: 11,730
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    got a recorded message from BT yesterday saying that they updating my box with the new software for the new look etc in the next week or so they then went on to say that all my recordings will be deleted because of the new software update not really happy about it grrr
  • VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    spookyLX wrote: »
    got a recorded message from BT yesterday saying that they updating my box with the new software for the new look etc in the next week or so they then went on to say that all my recordings will be deleted because of the new software update not really happy about it grrr

You'll be even less happy when you see the dog's breakfast you're losing your recordings for,
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Vennegoor wrote: »
    You'll be even less happy when you see the dog's breakfast you're losing your recordings for,

that bad is it :cry:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    that bad is it :cry:

No. It isn't actually.

Many users don't like it. Yet many users do. Opinion is split on the matter. But it most certainly is different.

The GUI is 'clunky' and one has to be patient with it.

You are recommended to perform a hard reset at least once a week to prevent problems occurring.

Its a totally new menu system which needs to be learned how to use again.

Your box will now work independently from an internet connection.

And (even though its not supported) one can now use Multiroom.And you can now download multiple HD films.

Its not perfect by any means. But it most certainly isn't the piece of trash some would have you believe.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    tbh I am just pissed I will be losing my recordings I have saved as I have stuff from last year , Olympics etc
  • souldriftersouldrifter Posts: 216
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    And (even though its not supported) one can now use Multiroom.And you can now download multiple HD films.

I thought if you tried to do multiroom, the two boxes would eventually cause conflicts with each other?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,768
    Forum Member
    :
    Its a totally new menu system which needs to be learned how to use again.

Your box will now work independently from an internet connection.
    :
    The Menu system is based on thumbnails which involves scanning through them to find out what they refer to - switching to list view involves scrolling down through many lines of info (with no page down).

Just about everything stops if you lose the internet even for a second or two - the box often fails to re-train and requires a re-boot.
    The Sony BD player has no trouble (eg running iPlayer in HD at 6.5Mbps even after the BT Vbox has failed to re-train) The old software (on the same box) managed to download 8 HD films in series in one queue - with the new software it has failed to download any after about 50 attempts.

"Random" re-boots seem to occur at just after 3pm, 6pm 9pm etc. - or soon after an HD download is attempted.

"Try again" has never ever re-started a download.

PS when I tried MultiRoom (Companion mode) the second box became a slave and you effectively only had one recorder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Menu system is based on thumbnails which involves scanning through them to find out what they refer to - switching to list view involves scrolling down through many lines of info (with no page down).

Just about everything stops if you lose the internet even for a second or two - the box often fails to re-train and requires a re-boot.
    The Sony BD player has no trouble (eg running iPlayer in HD at 6.5Mbps even after the BT Vbox has failed to re-train) The old software (on the same box) managed to download 8 HD films in series in one queue - with the new software it has failed to download any after about 50 attempts.

"Random" re-boots seem to occur at just after 3pm, 6pm 9pm etc. - or soon after an HD download is attempted.

"Try again" has never ever re-started a download.

PS when I tried MultiRoom (Companion mode) the second box became a slave and you effectively only had one recorder.

I don't have any of those problems, sorry. But I haven't tried companion mode. And it does now independently work from an internet connection. Including the EPG too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Got the new update this morning Dear God it is AWFUL

Who ever thought it up needs to be taken outside , put up against the wall and shot
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Am guessing there is no way of changing the colour scheme for the menu's especially the TV guide bit , I can't read anything on it due to my bad eyes and the ridiculous light writing on a light background I mean seriously ,

I was thinking about going over to sky and I think this has just been the deal breaker
  • teletvteletv Posts: 1,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It does now independently work from an internet connection. Including the EPG too.

Does it boot up without an internet connection? I left BT over 2 years ago and still kept the box, which has been languishing in the loft, i know that i can do software downloads for it via my current broadband provider as ive already done so. But still wont boot up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Am guessing there is no way of changing the colour scheme for the menu's especially the TV guide bit , I can't read anything on it due to my bad eyes and the ridiculous light writing on a light background I mean seriously ,

I was thinking about going over to sky and I think this has just been the deal breaker

Sorry, spookyLX? My EPG isn't like that. Its black writing on a light grey background. And the programme description at the top is white writing on a medium blue tone background. And the channel logo is displayed in the EPG too.

Does yours look like this? -

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/btvisionbasics.html

(Picture at the bottom).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    teletv wrote: »
    Does it boot up without an internet connection? I left BT over 2 years ago and still kept the box, which has been languishing in the loft, i know that i can do software downloads for it via my current broadband provider as ive already done so. But still wont boot up.

Your box is still a brick, sorry, as one has to have an active Vision black box account to get the BT Vision 2.0 update. But to answer your question yes, they will now boot up without an internet connection.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sorry, spookyLX? My EPG isn't like that. Its black writing on a light grey background. And the programme description at the top is white writing on a medium blue tone background. And the channel logo is displayed in the EPG too.

Does yours look like this? -

http://www.radioandtelly.co.uk/btvisionbasics.html

(Picture at the bottom).

yes but that picture is clearer , I have to get quite close to be able to read anything , and it is slow and clunky and a mare to navigate