Channel 4 has destroyed The Simpsons

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    Yes, they start tomorrow, Thursday 17th. They're showing them every day at 6pm, but older episodes are on Sunday afternoons. As usual, there has been no promotion for this whatsoever.

about bloddy time i dont want to remember how many time c4 has shown season 9 10,14,15 theyve been doing this since jan 2008
    good for them lets hope they start showing s1-6 in their 6pm time slot
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Channel 4 are far from shrinking violets and their post watershed programmes will show quite literally anything - autopsies, full sexual acts, people drinking vomit - you name it.

However, a show broadcast at 6pm with a largely school age audience does not need words such as Bloody,Crap, Screw you etc......

Kids can hear every word in the playground - but let us keep childrens' teatime television a little purer.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 48
    Forum Member
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    Channel 4 are far from shrinking violets and their post watershed programmes will show quite literally anything - autopsies, full sexual acts, people drinking vomit - you name it.

However, a show broadcast at 6pm with a largely school age audience does not need words such as Bloody,Crap, Sh*t etc......

Kids can hear every word in the playground - but let us keep childrens' teatime television a little purer.

simpsons isnt a kids show futurama on sky 1 at 6pm gets away with less cuts than this.
  • AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this forum moderated? Why would you need to use the word 'raped', would you say that in public?

You serious?

Christ if you're offended by that going outdoors must be a living hell for you.

You know how the OP meant it.

And he is right too.
  • AWESOM-O 4000AWESOM-O 4000 Posts: 1,672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dizagaox wrote: »
    It's not really that bad, especially when compared to Family Guy. But it's been around 12/12A level for about 14 years.

When compared to how Family Guy is now a dead kitten is funnier quite frankly.
  • grahamzxygrahamzxy Posts: 11,920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Simpsons is a prime time show in the USA, here it is traditionally known (for 20 years now) as a 6pm show (on BBC2, Sky One and Channel 4 during its history), so it has a large audience who are children under 16 watching.

Regarding censoring swear words - bastard and pissed are not considered swearing in usa as they are here the same with retard. It is all down to regional acceptance.

I swear as much as the next man but not in front of children, when I lived in Denmark the F word was spoken quite freely even on Sunday morning children's TV shows - liberal thinking but doesn't make it right.
  • AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    grahamzxy wrote: »
    I swear as much as the next man but not in front of children, when I lived in Denmark the F word was spoken quite freely even on Sunday morning children's TV shows - liberal thinking but doesn't make it right.

To be fair, in any social problem you care to mention, Denmark is substantially better than the UK, so we should perhaps be a little less judgmental about their liberal approach to things.
  • PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed an edit in tonight's C4 Simpsons.

It the Ovenfresh Cook Off one, when Lisa is reading the letter to Marge, I'm sure she says something like

"Every year thousands of people fail to qualify, but screw them, you're in"

The screw them bit was cut, unless I imagined that line.

The bit with James Caan being shot at the toll at the end was cut as well.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Also there seemed to be a cut when Homer was dreaming what it would be like to live next door to himself. The left hand Homer magically moved a few frames backwards before producing his baseball bat to hit Homer with, so a line of dialogue seems to have been [badly] cut there.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    If you've seen the show that many times that you can recite the scenes and spot these discrepancies so accurately you probably don't need to watch it every day at 6.
  • Sunny BSunny B Posts: 7,359
    Forum Member
    Why did C4 start S16 from ep 2? Why did they miss out the Treehouse of Horror ep? Keeping it for next month are they? :rolleyes: They've never bothered what time of year they've showed Halloween eps before. Or Xmas ones for that matter!
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I also noticed that most of tonight's episode was in squashed into widescreen until the las 5 minutes when it became 4:3.

I wonder if this was a mistake or a bad experiment? I only wonder as it was flagged as W on the EPG and 4 hardly ever flag stuff up W even when it is in widescreen.

PJ
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,244
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is this forum moderated? Why would you need to use the word 'raped', would you say that in public?

I would. I think people are mature enough to hear it without having a nervous breakdown.
    grahamzxy wrote:

However, a show broadcast at 6pm with a largely school age audience does not need words such as Bloody,Crap, Screw you etc......

The Simpsons isn't a children's programme. I don't even think it's a family programme.

Still, if they pick up on the word crap, then oh well, they'll have heard the word crap. I'm sure they'll manage to somehow survive the inner turmoil and come out a stronger person. Maybe if they aired it before the watershed more often then everyone would get over it, there wouldn't be a taboo, and our language would be richer for it? It's more or less a self perpetuating phenomenon, if people stop being offended then it won't be offensive!

The reason the show has rude words in it is because the show is a bit rude. If "screw you" is a bit edgy then crikey bollocks, you don't belong on the internet haha - mainly 'cause people make threads like this one. Just don't watch the Simpsons! Seems bizarre to chop it up. Then again I've never been much of a fan of censorship. If you don't like it, don't watch it, and if you do like it, do watch it. It's better than rounding the edges off everything to create a homogenous slew of "safe" programming just to prevent a couple of people getting offended.

Make your own choices! Live your own life, go outside of your comfort zone! Take a risk, see if you can somehow withstand hearing the word "crap" - god knows you've read it a few times in this post by this point! Don't expect the institution to wrap everything in a neat bow for you. Explore the many varied delights and wonders of the universe!
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    anniecatz wrote: »
    If you've seen the show that many times that you can recite the scenes and spot these discrepancies so accurately you probably don't need to watch it every day at 6.

I'm enjoying (apart from the cuts) the earlier seasons which are airing on Sundays. I haven't seen them in ages, and yes I can quote them verbatim usually, but they're an enjoyable release if I record them and then watch one after a really crappy day at work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 175
    Forum Member

I notified the moderators in that this thread's title breaks para 2.1 of the terms and conditions of this site, but it's still here. I was hoping this thread would sink but it keeps getting bumped.
    Maybe if more people complained.
    You can't go around using the word "raped" out of its proper context without offending people.
    Forum Member
    You serious?

Christ if you're offended by that going outdoors must be a living hell for you.

You know how the OP meant it.

And he is right too.

When you talk about a person or group of people being "raped" it only means one thing. I have no idea how the OP meant it.
    And he's wrong. Channel four has not raped the Simpsons. Totally the wrong word to use.
    And no, going outdoors is not a living hell for me.
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 21,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I'm still surprised when the word bloody is bleeped/cut or even aplogised for.

A darts player said the word in an interview the other night and the presenter apologied and asked him to watch his language. It was then bleeped on the repeat.

I would just take the p and start talking about nose bleeds and bloody noses :D

Credit to the beeb though. Twice in live broadcasts over the last few days (Christine Bleakley on The One Show and a female Australian sprinter) the word bloody has been uttered and it wasn't apologiesed for which is a refreshing change.
    'Twas always thus. I believe that there was public outrage when Shaw had Eliza Doolittle say it in Pygmalion.
  • tanstaafltanstaafl Posts: 21,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nick202 wrote: »
    Raped is perhaps too strong, but it does seem ironic that the Channel 4 which is editing these scenes is the same Channel 4 which had naked men and women putting their goods on display at lunchtime a few weeks ago :rolleyes:
    Emasculated would be the best word to use.
  • CrimsonmonCrimsonmon Posts: 1,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sele01 wrote: »
    When you talk about a person or group of people being "raped" it only means one thing. I have no idea how the OP meant it.

It's been used a term for cutting up/changing/editing the hell out of something for about as long as I've been alive.
  • DVDfeverDVDfever Posts: 18,535
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I notified the moderators in that this thread's title breaks para 2.1 of the terms and conditions of this site, but it's still here. I was hoping this thread would sink but it keeps getting bumped.
    Maybe if more people complained.
    You can't go around using the word "raped" out of its proper context without offending people.

The thread doesn't need to sink, as there's a lot of valid points, but a renaming wouldn't hurt.
  • mattshentonmattshenton Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crimsonmon wrote: »
    It's been used a term for cutting up/changing/editing the hell out of something for about as long as I've been alive.

totally agree with that.

The mods have more than likely looked into certain peoples compliants about the thread title and found it not to offend from a certain standpoint.

Rape is a horrible crime and i don't condone it, but some people need to get off there high horse and stop reading the daily bloody mail
    Forum Member
    totally agree with that.

The mods have more than likely looked into certain peoples compliants about the thread title and found it not to offend from a certain standpoint.

Rape is a horrible crime and i don't condone it, but some people need to get off there high horse and stop reading the daily bloody mail

Goodness me. We have one of the richest languages in the world. So many words at our disposal.

To everyone who is not offended by this thread's title to look up the word 'raped' in a dictionary. Then try to think of some word which is a bit more accurate.

That's all from me for ever in this thread. Sorry to have broken the rules by not adding anything constructive to this thread. I'm just too angry to come here again. Angry and sad at the state of our language and the people who use it lazily.
  • MoggioMoggio Posts: 4,289
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Goodness me. We have one of the richest languages in the world. So many words at our disposal.

To everyone who is not offended by this thread's title to look up the word 'raped' in a dictionary. Then try to think of some word which is a bit more accurate.

That's all from me for ever in this thread. Sorry to have broken the rules by not adding anything constructive to this thread. I'm just too angry to come here again. Angry and sad at the state of our language and the people who use it lazily.

'Rape' has more than one meaning; one of which isn't an entirely inaccurate description of Channel 4's treatment of The Simpsons.
  • PowerJCPowerJC Posts: 1,038
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just noticed another cut in tonight's episode. The one where they start smuggling drugs back from Canada. Ned meets a Canadian equivalent, they talk for a bit, then the Canadian offers Ned drugs, the last bit was cut.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    DVDfever wrote: »
    From whatever I've seen of it, which isn't a great deal because anything past season 11 is basically dead, has been completely laugh-free.

I think people judge The Simpsons to ludicrously high standards.

Yes it isn't as good as it used to be but the latter episodes I've seen on C4 are still sporadically funny.

The one shown tonight when Burns cancels medical insurance for his employees was genuinely satirical.