BBC 5 Live General Chit Chat

Comments

• swingalegswingaleg Posts: 102,981
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    What a surprise a thread on 5 live and somebody mentions dumbing down. The 'serious broadcaster' Eddie Mair used to have a soap update every day on his lunchtime show, very intellectual. Some people seem to want 5 live to be a 24 hour version of the today programme.

To be fair, pretty much everyone has mentionned dumbing down

As it goes, I didn't like Eddie Mair...........I distinctly recall posting on DS years ago about Mair being a tabloid journo who conducted interviews by steering the interviewee to a point whereby he could say triumphantly............"aah,..so, it is true that (insert daily mail headline)"

A 24 hour of version of Today would be perfect as long as they still did sport in the evenings and at weekends
  • jolly turnipjolly turnip Posts: 726
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mrs Mills wrote: »
    Unfortunately Inverdale doesn't do Wimbledon radio coverage - these days it's the knowledgable Richard Bacon.

But mainly Clare Balding in recent years
  • Lone DrinkerLone Drinker Posts: 1,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a no listen zone between 10am and 2pm with the utterly despicable Derbyshire and frumpy smug Fogherty drivelling their self satisfied way through.

Enjoy/tolerate the rest apart from Dotun (does he EVER have a week off ?).

Wish there was a lot more of Inverdale though.
  • Von TrappVon Trapp Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

As it goes, I didn't like Eddie Mair...........I distinctly recall posting on DS years ago about Mair being a tabloid journo who conducted interviews by steering the interviewee to a point whereby he could say triumphantly............"aah,..so, it is true that (insert daily mail headline)"

A 24 hour of version of Today would be perfect as long as they still did sport in the evenings and at weekends

That would bore the pants off me! I hardly listen to Victoria Derbyshire anymore its such a miseryfest, as mentioned in other posts. Rape, murder, drugs, peodos, kiddie deaths and cancer every day. I know these issues need an airing but its now well over the top. I listen to music or Keys and Gray when im driving about now.

Always listen to Bacon now, I enjoy the chat and you get the breaking news.
  • Jo VialityJo Viality Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Von Trapp wrote: »
    What a surprise a thread on 5 live and somebody mentions dumbing down. The 'serious broadcaster' Eddie Mair used to have a soap update every day on his lunchtime show, very intellectual. Some people seem to want 5 live to be a 24 hour version of the today programme.

I think people realise that it was never 24 hours of serious news/sport. What they are saying is that the amount of serious stuff has decreased.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jo Viality wrote: »
    I think people realise that it was never 24 hours of serious news/sport. What they are saying is that the amount of serious stuff has decreased.

That's right. We used to get proper, in detail news and sport round-ups through the day. Now the only one is between 5-6 in the morning which I am not getting up for!
  • deivu74deivu74 Posts: 3,001
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Enjoy/tolerate the rest apart from Dotun (does he EVER have a week off ?)

LOL, I wish he would. His nasal utterings make me switch over.

Wonder where Nolan is tonight. He's not in the studio.
  • Mrs MillsMrs Mills Posts: 873
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lordloz wrote: »
    I tend to agree with most of what you said really - Nolan forever interrupts everyone -

and I know before the boards on the BBC were closed several people put in freedom of info requests as to how much was spent on his flights and accommodation as opposed to simply getting an already resident presenter....there's no shortage of them is there?

unsurprisingly these were always rejected due to some fudged excuse like competition or journalistic licence so we don't know and never will.....
    but how can it be common sense to fly and put up in a hotel and pick up expenses - particularly the restaurant meals which are hardly going to be small are they ;) when there are presenters a go go in abundance...

the breakfast programme often jars but is far better now the smug incompetence and high opinion of herself that shelagh fogarty bought to the table is gone.....

i think maybe george reilly coming in has made it so cliquey apparently it was similar when on logan's show... but that matt bloke that was there previously on breakfast was dreadful...he thought he was very tough and clever but just awful so don't know if that's the answer either.....

the light entertainment i don't mind as varied but i still don't know why they advertise simon cowell's productions on a public service with its own show to promote.....

i've tried to listen to Radio 4 and while the breakfast slot is fine it switches so often to totally dull articles I just think I'll never be that old that I'll end up listening to it and i don't feel that old now..... :p
    i'm not highbrow or intellectual as such but I'm not dim and I want something in between..

totally agree on simon brotherton too......its indicative of how bbc works give someone a job....they are flavour of the month so they get everything till we get sick of them

instead of thinking...ahh.... a cycling show..... who do we know who's knowledgeable on that? simon? no...he's not in the circle lets give it to Colin again he knows nothing about it so lets give him a go as a layman to connect with the viewers....... ::rolleyes:

Oh! and thanks very much for the nice comment on starting the thread..
    As Brotherton is covering live sport regularly this may rule him out...but Colin Murray - honestly!
  • Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    swingaleg wrote: »

s

Pretty much everyone - or seven people on an internet forum?
    Forum Member
    lordloz wrote: »
    I tend to agree with most of what you said really - Nolan forever interrupts everyone -

and I know before the boards on the BBC were closed several people put in freedom of info requests as to how much was spent on his flights and accommodation as opposed to simply getting an already resident presenter....there's no shortage of them is there?

unsurprisingly these were always rejected due to some fudged excuse like competition or journalistic licence so we don't know and never will.....
    but how can it be common sense to fly and put up in a hotel and pick up expenses - particularly the restaurant meals which are hardly going to be small are they ;) when there are presenters a go go in abundance...

Oh look. A cheap joke about Nolan's size.

Well that certainly adds credibility to your argument.

The reasons for rejecting your FOI request were quite simple - it's none of your business. I think at the time somebody disclosed that Nolan actually pays for his own flights and accommodation. I don't remember the precise details.

Nevertheless, do you think that the likes of Smooth don't pay for a chauffeur to drive Simon Bates in every day? Does Neil Fox have to claim back on his Oyster card? What about Schofield - does he get the bus to ITV each day?

The point is that with any national radio or TV show there are production costs, and the fine detail is engrained in the confidential contracts of the talent. Rightly so.
  • PastificioPastificio Posts: 116
    Forum Member
    Thanks for starting this thread, lordloz.

Used to be a very regular 5Live listener, right from the Radio 5 early days, but not so much now:

1) Phone-In @ 9-10 - too many interruptions to the flow e.g. news, plugging other shows etc. Not what it used to be, and tending to hit Radio 2 instead.

2) Victoria D - what a depressing show, who wants to listen to doom, gloom and whinging? No thanks.

3) Lunchtime - stopped listening a long time ago, just a rehash of all the news you've already heard. Jeremy Vine every time, despite it being 'Radio Daily Mail'.

4) Richard Bacon - great when on the evening show, not quite so good now, shame.

5) Drive - Cannot listen to his monotone, gloomy voice, and she's not much better. Simon Mayo wins everytime with his excellent drive time show.

6) Evenings - always enjoy 606, especially if I'm driving, but then I like football. Don't listen to any other shows other than a bit of Tony L. now and again, always entertaining.

7) Weekends - Fighting Talk - trying to be a bit too clever, could be better, but I'll tune in. Al Murray very good, sad he's off. Those two ladies on Double Take get right up my **** - smug, chattering class types. Danny Baker is fantastic. Sports Report - why? We all know the bleddy scores by then, get on with 606.

Oh, and:

8) All football commentators with 'matey' names e.g. Mottie, Chappers, Greenie, etc. You're not at school anymore, grow up.

So, overall, not such a fan anymore. Guess the controllers wanted to widen the audience, and to be more inclusive i.e. not just middle-aged blokes (guilty!), but not sure it's worked.
    Forum Member
    deivu74 wrote: »
    LOL, I wish he would. His nasal utterings make me switch over.

Wonder where Nolan is tonight. He's not in the studio.

Dotun has had his time. Can't say I'm a regular night listener, but I do sometimes drive home in the early hours, from working away. It's not a good show, sadly.
  • rustybucketrustybucket Posts: 201
    Forum Member
    I used to love 5 Live.

I still listen but find I'm getting more frustrated with the breakfast lot. Just repeating what others have said too many in jokes and George Riley does annoy me. Burden/Campbell sound out of their depth if interviewing a politician whose switched on and ready to rebutt their questions. You can hear the frustration ooze out of their mouths.

Don't listen to during the day bar Richard Bacon, who has grown on me. His had some excellent chats recently with some of his guests.

Still enjoy Mayo on Friday.

Danny Baker I do get and find it great to unwind if I'm off Saturday morning.

The radio is switched off as soon as I hear Colin Murray. I just find him so annoying, nor witty or funny. What the hell is Fighting Talk all about? And there is far too much of him on the station.

Simon Brotherton an excellent commentator.

Mark Pougatch excellent listen.

I do enjoy Robbie Savage on 606.

Tony Liversly I don't enjoy listening to.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    Great to hear Inverdale on SPOTY.
    Should be a great evening. Truly wonderful year for British sport. I think i'll stick with the radio and glance at the Tv from time to time
  • lordlozlordloz Posts: 3,285
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh look. A cheap joke about Nolan's size.

Well that certainly adds credibility to your argument.

The reasons for rejecting your FOI request were quite simple - it's none of your business. I think at the time somebody disclosed that Nolan actually pays for his own flights and accommodation. I don't remember the precise details.

Nevertheless, do you think that the likes of Smooth don't pay for a chauffeur to drive Simon Bates in every day? Does Neil Fox have to claim back on his Oyster card? What about Schofield - does he get the bus to ITV each day?

The point is that with any national radio or TV show there are production costs, and the fine detail is engrained in the confidential contracts of the talent. Rightly so.

well that was full on wasn't it mapperley ridge...
    well...what can I say....
    if you notice most of the posts have been light in tone and in fact if you read all the posts properly it was a previous poster (La Rhumba) who had a little dig in that direction (very funny it was too)
    - I popped that in as a wink to them and it was decidedly tongue in cheek...

- for one thing Nolan frequently admits to his size on the programme and I was bigger when younger (though not to anything like the same amount admittedly)
    and in my 30's too so I did something about it....yep eat less and exercised more despite having joint problems.......

If you read properly again I personally NEVER made a FOI request at all while I stated many others had done.....

none of my business? really? I think you'll find it is.......

see Smooth and Bates and Fox with whoever and Schofield at ITV can do whatever the hell they want with their production costs and fly them in by jetpack if they like and put them up in Claridges with real oysters (not cards!:)) and bottles of Bollinger in their suites because.. ....
    it's THEIR money... THEIR advertisers pay for them to exist...

whereas......... the BBC is funded by ...yes....US! :eek:
    so as it's publicly funded so like the MP's and public bodies we pay a tax for it is entirely our business which sure adds credibility to your argument doesn't it?

If he pays for his own flights then fine they can confirm that easily can't they....then we won't mind will we?

the point of it anyway is he does have a lot of detractors not just on here and my argument is there are plenty of BBC staff who could do the job without the expenses incurred in this age of austerity and public sector cuts.....

incidentally that's the first time I've seen the word talent and stephen nolan mentioned in the same sentence :D :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Pastificio wrote: »
    Thanks for starting this thread, lordloz.

Used to be a very regular 5Live listener, right from the Radio 5 early days, but not so much now:

1) Phone-In @ 9-10 - too many interruptions to the flow e.g. news, plugging other shows etc. Not what it used to be, and tending to hit Radio 2 instead.

2) Victoria D - what a depressing show, who wants to listen to doom, gloom and whinging? No thanks.

3) Lunchtime - stopped listening a long time ago, just a rehash of all the news you've already heard. Jeremy Vine every time, despite it being 'Radio Daily Mail'.

4) Richard Bacon - great when on the evening show, not quite so good now, shame.

5) Drive - Cannot listen to his monotone, gloomy voice, and she's not much better. Simon Mayo wins everytime with his excellent drive time show.

6) Evenings - always enjoy 606, especially if I'm driving, but then I like football. Don't listen to any other shows other than a bit of Tony L. now and again, always entertaining.

7) Weekends - Fighting Talk - trying to be a bit too clever, could be better, but I'll tune in. Al Murray very good, sad he's off. Those two ladies on Double Take get right up my **** - smug, chattering class types. Danny Baker is fantastic. Sports Report - why? We all know the bleddy scores by then, get on with 606.

Oh, and:

8) All football commentators with 'matey' names e.g. Mottie, Chappers, Greenie, etc. You're not at school anymore, grow up.

So, overall, not such a fan anymore. Guess the controllers wanted to widen the audience, and to be more inclusive i.e. not just middle-aged blokes (guilty!), but not sure it's worked.

thanks Pastificio for that most kind i just wondered why I couldn't find one on DS and seemed strange - someone said because it's not controversial like LBC etc. in the past so it's a bit vanilla and inoffensive....

however seeing some of the views maybe it does need a discussion point...it may not be controversial particularly but it is a national broadcaster funded and paid for by us so i believe it warrants some chat

I hoped it would start a good discussion and so far has been really lively and interesting on people's views...it's not supposed to be solely BBC bashing but it often does of course myself included but also to suggest improvements and just a general gossip and chat about anything really.....

i hoped it wouldn't get into too much arguing amongst ourselves and off topic though i seem to have spiked mapperley ridge somehow above about Nolan but then he so far seems in the minority regarding him here unless others tell us otherwise...

quite mixed views from yourself but interesting your listening has declined in line with quite a few others...
    also quite a lot of anti vic derbyshire and fogarty and the breakfast show dividing people too...
  • wns_195wns_195 Posts: 13,556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My criticism of Up All Night on the weekends isn't the presenter, but why do we have to hear what's happening in New York City every weekend? There are other cities which are awake during the day. Why not have a different city each week, or a discussion about life in multiple cities?

Also, the Native New Yorkers aren't natives. The natives were exterminated centuries ago.
    Forum Member
    Simple answer to that - it's easier to find a line up of guests willing to be interviewed in New York than most other cities.

I don't know exactly how the production works, but I'd be asking the BBC's US bureau to listen around to so talk stations during the week, build up a relationship with a handful, and get some new voices from different cities.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 831
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Victoria Derbyshire as usual preferring to appear on ITV rather than travel to Salford.
    Forum Member
    Victoria Derbyshire as usual preferring to appear on ITV rather than travel to Salford.

They've just trailed that her show will be from Great Ormond Street Hospital on Wednesday:eek:

"So Amy, you're five years old. How did it feel to be diagnosed with leukaemia..?

Nnnnnnooooooooo!
  • BarnardBarnard Posts: 79
    Forum Member
    Derbyshire had a lady on at 1130am today who explained why people get stuck benefits and decide not to work, she explained that people will live on £10 a day rather than work. Derbyshire just dismissed this with her usually snarky/sarky tone of voice.

She just couldn't believe that someone could live on £10 a day, it's as if she had no empathy towards the situation at all. As if, if she couldn't imagine it then surely it doesn't happen!

Grrrr. This is why I try not to listen to Victoria Derbyshire!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

how is she managing that then..?

Breakfast this morning was so cringeworthy... Just swooning at how wonderful the evening was & all the sports people there
    why is it from the excel centre today though...

That was yesterday?
    Glad they all had a free bar on the BBC....oh right that means on us then doesn't it? Ho hum...
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never understood why they bother with a webcam on the 5live website during (without doubt the smuggest presenter on radio ) Victoria Derbyshires programme, as she gets to Salford once in a blue moon and even then only as a token gesture and out of sufferance to stop the rest of the presenters getting on her case.God knows how she gets away with it and being paid over £200,000 a year an all.She obviously has a nice cosy arrangement with controller AVK.Derbyshire is so obviously up her self that she feels she can get away with anything.If I'm not mistaken I think I read it was her who got the BBC Points of View Radio Message Board closed down, as she couldn't handle all the stick she was getting.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,517
    Forum Member
    There is some total American jerk on at the moment. I have not the faintest idea of who he is. They should have cut him off instantly as he was unable to string a sentence together.

He may have been on drugs or just very ill, but more likely just a total prat
  • CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rhod Sharp and his Up All Night show is very good but having been a loyal listener for many years, I have virtually given up the ghost with 5live.Far too many shouty and loud trailers complete with screaming commentators and it has been dumbed down so much that I feel that my intelligent is being insulted.
This discussion has been closed.