Apple brand less inspiring

Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
Forum Member
✭✭
Apples all important brand seems to be loosing is sparkle and according to a survey is now less inspiring than it used to be.

Apple have been more interested in suing people than they have been in innovating. Along with the uninspiring iPhone 5 Apple have lost their way somewhat.
Smartphone rival Samsung is now seen as equally "inspiring" in the US, says the survey by consultancy Added Value.

Analysts fear Apple may have lost its way since its visionary co-founder, Steve Jobs, died in October 2011.

While Apple's brand still scores more highly overall, Samsung's is more consistently appreciated across the world, particularly in East Asia, says Added Value, part of Sir Martin Sorrell's WPP group.

Apple's reputation for market-leading innovation took a knock after the iPhone 5 was seen as an iteration of an earlier design rather than a characteristic step-change.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21857393

http://www.culturaltraction.com/the-study/brand-vibe/

Comments

• Jay-CeeJay-Cee Posts: 2,886
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They brought this on themselves :( and i'm sure they dont care which is a shame
  • kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apples all important brand seems to be loosing is sparkle and according to a survey is now less inspiring than it used to be.

Apple have been more interested in suing people than they have been in innovating. Along with the uninspiring iPhone 5 Apple have lost their way somewhat.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-21857393

http://www.culturaltraction.com/the-study/brand-vibe/

In the link you provide Apple come top in 2 of the measures, 2nd in another and slightly behind (5th) to Samsung (3rd) in one.

I think they are ok for now.
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kidspud wrote: »
    In the link you provide Apple come top in 2 of the measures, 2nd in another and slightly behind (5th) to Samsung (3rd) in one.

I think they are ok for now.

The Enemies of the State of Apple are in 1st Google and 3rd Samsung.

Branding is very important to Apple.

Sales of the iPhone 5 will possibly suffer loss of sales as it does not support UK 4G LTE bands on 800MHz and 2.6GHz and wont work on Vodafone or O2. A further example of Apple's lack of vision.

As for those people who assume Vodafone will do some and band changes just for a few iPhone 5 fans you will be disappointed to see that its not listed as a 4G handset :eek:

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/all-phones?initialFilters=flt_paymonthly,flt_4g-phones

The iPhone 5S will likely be a minor update so I doubt we will see much innovation this year.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Enemies of the State of Apple are in 1st Google and 3rd Samsung.

Branding is very important to Apple.

Sales of the iPhone 5 will possibly suffer loss of sales as it does not support UK 4G LTE bands on 800MHz and 2.6GHz and wont work on Vodafone or O2. A further example of Apple's lack of vision.

As for those people who assume Vodafone will do some and band changes just for a few iPhone 5 fans you will be disappointed to see that its not listed as a 4G handset :eek:

http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile-phones/all-phones?initialFilters=flt_paymonthly,flt_4g-phones

The iPhone 5S will likely be a minor update so I doubt we will see much innovation this year.

Bib, weird, in the survey they came top:)
  • The Lord LucanThe Lord Lucan Posts: 5,054
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't even give air to a survey that puts Levi's, Louis Vuitton, IKEA etc so high.

Apple are the highest out of the strictly computer/handset/tablet makers in that survey. It's unlikely Google are there for the Nexus for sure, Andriod sure but there is a hell of a lot more to google than Android hence why they are at the top. A lot of Googles services Apple (and Samsung) do not even compete. Again silly survey being applied to an argument that is not even valid. Crazy.
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't say lack of all frequencies is lack of vision it's good business sense ie folk have to upgrade and by using a more efficient chip set customers actually benefit. Have you used an S3 LTE on 4G? It literally kills the battery, I'm sure the S4 will be better, better than the iPhone 5 in this regard, but then there is the 5S / 6 and it all starts over again.
  • PencilBreathPencilBreath Posts: 3,643
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    they have more cash in the bank than some small countries.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I posted in another thread...

Thing is with that article, what do people expect?

This quote sums it up:

"Apple's reputation for market-leading innovation took a knock after the iPhone 5 was seen as an iteration of an earlier design rather than a characteristic step-change."

As I said above, the revolution in phones to touch screen smart phones has happened now.

What sort of revolutionary step change in phones do people expect (from any company) now that we have powerful mini computers with touch screens in the palm of our hands?

To me, this whole "evolution not revolution" schtick has become incredibly tired, journalistically. (And I say that in respect to tech generally, not just in reference to phones or Apple.)
  • Step666Step666 Posts: 1,284
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    At the time the iPhone5 was launched, it seemed inconceivable that within 6 months the 4G spectrum auction would have been completed.
    Not to mention, by the time the likes of Vodafone and particularly O2 have an LTE network in place, the next iPhone will be just around the corner.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Its interesting that this debate started over a year ago on DS and its now made the mainstream media.

Various people said its only geeks that would care about all these law suits and stagnation, but now the mainstream is noticing it too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Step666 wrote: »
    At the time the iPhone5 was launched, it seemed inconceivable that within 6 months the 4G spectrum auction would have been completed.
    Not to mention, by the time the likes of Vodafone and particularly O2 have an LTE network in place, the next iPhone will be just around the corner.

Might also be worth pointing out that google also released a phone after the iPhone 5 which supports no 4g networks.
  • Zack06Zack06 Posts: 28,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Might also be worth pointing out that google also released a phone after the iPhone 5 which supports no 4g networks.

But considering there are already a multitude of LTE enabled smartphones which run Google's OS on the market, I think that's a non-issue. Plus Google already released an LTE version of the Galaxy Nexus way before the iPhone 5 was even launched. :)
  • StigglesStiggles Posts: 9,618
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    As I posted in another thread...

Thing is with that article, what do people expect?

This quote sums it up:

"Apple's reputation for market-leading innovation took a knock after the iPhone 5 was seen as an iteration of an earlier design rather than a characteristic step-change."

As I said above, the revolution in phones to touch screen smart phones has happened now.

What sort of revolutionary step change in phones do people expect (from any company) now that we have powerful mini computers with touch screens in the palm of our hands?

To me, this whole "evolution not revolution" schtick has become incredibly tired, journalistically. (And I say that in respect to tech generally, not just in reference to phones or Apple.)

Possibly one that doesnt look like the iphone when it was first brought out in 2007. The front design has barely if at all changed. The 4,4S and 5 all share a similar body.

Its boring.
    Forum Member

Actually, it does. Unofficially!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Actually, it does. Unofficially!

I thought it had been disabled with an os update.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 149
    Forum Member
    The next iphone will have to be something special to save the downward spiral!.
    Forum Member
    I thought it had been disabled with an os update.

The dudes at XDA got round it as usual!

Just a case of flashing the older radio. Easy :)
  • Daveoc64Daveoc64 Posts: 15,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't think this is any surprise really.

Apple gained a lot of momentum in 2003/4 when the iPod and the iTunes Store made it to Windows (and outside of the US) for the first time.

Despite that growth, they went and launched the iPod mini which became immensely popular.

2005 saw that best-selling device (iPod mini) replaced with the iPod nano - something which wasn't all that widely expected.

The iPod nano was even more successful than the mini!

A month after that, the video iPod came out.

Less than two years later, the iPhone was announced.

Since then? Not a lot. The iPad is obviously the only big one, but there's not much left for them to do in terms of "replacing" a product line. The iPhone is THE product for them, it's not like there are multiple "current" variants of it like the iPod line had. Perhaps the rumoured "big" and "small" iPhone lines will make a difference.
  • IvanIVIvanIV Posts: 30,300
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, they ran out of new devices to make, now they just slowly improve what they have. To be inspiring again they need a completely new product that everybody will want. I am not sure if the rumoured watch will be such a product.
  • calico_piecalico_pie Posts: 10,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stiggles wrote: »
    Possibly one that doesnt look like the iphone when it was first brought out in 2007. The front design has barely if at all changed. The 4,4S and 5 all share a similar body.

Its boring.

Given that by its nature, the front of the phone is predominantly a single flat touchscreen display, what sort of revolutionary design would you like to see?
  • Everything GoesEverything Goes Posts: 12,972
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    IvanIV wrote: »
    Yes, they ran out of new devices to make, now they just slowly improve what they have. To be inspiring again they need a completely new product that everybody will want. I am not sure if the rumoured watch will be such a product.

There have been watch add on's for phones for a number of years. The product isnt new although im sure Apple will claim it is. They will merely go back in time and sue everyone who made one before Apple "Invented it" :D

http://www.sonymobile.com/gb/products/accessories/smartwatch/
    Forum Member
    No one not even Pebble has made a watch sell in 1bn dollar proportions.

S4 is a boring evolution, filled with features many will not use or disable. IPhone 5 is the same. Z10 although a revolution to previous attempts within it's own brand.. just a evolution with it's rivals. Etc etc, You buy the best that fits your solution.
    Forum Member
    calico_pie wrote: »
    Given that by its nature, the front of the phone is predominantly a single flat touchscreen display, what sort of revolutionary design would you like to see?

Well, since every single flat touchscreen looks different i would expect completely different. Or are apple incapable of that?

Is there anything with apple you wont defend?
    Forum Member

S4 is a boring evolution, filled with features many will not use or disable. IPhone 5 is the same. Z10 although a revolution to previous attempts within it's own brand.. just a evolution with it's rivals. Etc etc, You buy the best that fits your solution.

Maybe boring for you. But for the amount of pre orders its had, i would suggest you are way wrong.
  • whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

At least there are new features. Unlike the latest iPhone.