Liz Jones - YOU magazine (Part 4)

Comments

• coldcomfortcoldcomfort Posts: 778
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    She's got impressive bingo wings for a borderline anorexic. Magic number 26 again.
  • sunstonesunstone Posts: 2,082
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No anorexia here folks,just some numpty who diets ( not the same thing).
    I hate how her desire to be thin so she can wear small clothes gets translated to anorexia.

If she turns up on Strictly I will properly spit!:mad:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    It crossed my mind that she might be angling for an invite to appear on Strictly ...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just read backwards,Cold Comfort...what a great post:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Have you all looked on the Mail online ? She is now learning Tango, Waltz etc for Valentines Day. Her frocks are a little scary.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2278574/LIZ-JONES-learns-tango-Can-learning-worlds-passionate-dance-Liz-mood-love.html

It's not the frocks it's the bliddy face that is scary.:eek:

To anyone who thinks she is a funny writer,well each to their own.A funny writer to me is someone like David Nobbs.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 125
    Forum Member
    Quite bulky for a "borderline anorexic"...
  • Becky SharpeBecky Sharpe Posts: 669
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Porcupine wrote: »
    Have you all looked on the Mail online ? She is now learning Tango, Waltz etc for Valentines Day. Her frocks are a little scary.http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2278574/LIZ-JONES-learns-tango-Can-learning-worlds-passionate-dance-Liz-mood-love.html
    That big ol' horsey tattoo is a novel adornment to 'Ginger's' outfit :cool:
  • BadcatBadcat Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's got impressive bingo wings for a borderline anorexic. Magic number 26 again.

LMFAO!

That's the 1st thing I pointed out to the other half.

"Lovely bingo wings there on someone who never eats".

:D

great minds...
  • cathrincathrin Posts: 4,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wish she'd make up her mind whether "a hand on the small of her back" (rapidly joining "£26,000", "giant children" and "buttery soft leather" as a regular staple for the bingo card!) is something that gives her the creeps (as indicated in this article) or a warm and loving sign of security and affection (as she keeps telling us in relation to the FRS!)

I wonder how the dance partner chap felt about having his accent presented in a Fawlty Towers-style caricature? ‘The tango, it ‘as to be close, so close you ‘ear my ‘eart she beat!’
    ....At one point, according to Liz, he even says "Que?" in "baffled Spanish", just like Manuel.

And why do they have to have so many pictures? The second two were almost identical--Liz sitting at a mirror in her costume holding a rose, in two fractionally different poses. Then another one of her sitting at the same mirror in different clothes that appeared to have absolutely nothing to do with the article. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Silly Cathrin,don't you know we can never see enough of her lovelyship:p
  • BellaFigaBellaFiga Posts: 1,982
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am no expert in anorexia, but I have seen photos (mainly in the Daily Mail) of women with anorexia.

Liz Jones does not have the body of an anorexic - she looks like a woman of a certain age who has kept her figure well. And her legs are quite well muscled and covered.

That champagne diet must be fantastic.
  • Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    It’s been a long time since I posted on here, but I do pop in from time to time to read what other people are saying. And I see that every so often the Liz apologists appear, tell the majority of us that we shouldn’t be reading her if we don’t like her then disappear again. Apart from telling us that she is “funny” and a “brilliant writer” who “loves animals”, they don’t have any lucid argument to put about what they see in Liz Jones, her diary and her other articles. I’d like to put the case for those of us who read and criticise, and would be interested if you can say anything more to justify your position for a change.

Back in the days when Liz was married to Nirps, when I started reading her diary, I admit to having briefly felt some sort of sympathy for her. She was married to this cheating type who took advantage of her at every turn. But her own behaviour gradually made me see another side of her. It was with the disintegration of the marriage, and particularly her move to Dulverton, that I lost all sympathy.

Liz Jones moved to the country, buying a house out of the price range of the majority of her readers, thinking she would instantly fit into the country way of life. But instead of bending to adapt herself, she tried to impose her own values on those around her – telling the hunt what she thought of them, condemning farmers for rearing animals for meat and the like. She “rescued” far too many animals for one woman to look after – especially a woman who claims to work an 80 hour week and was often not at home, leaving other (often barely mentioned) to do the hard work. She had dogs and cats that were not house-trained and was unable to ride her horse properly. All this information comes from a combination of her own writings and the evidence of local people. When she eventually decided to sell up – citing financial troubles – she had to sell a house that stank (if all we hear about her animals is true) but was nowhere near the hovel she claimed it to be. It took her a long time to sell up, and when she eventually did so the locals were pleased to see the back of her. Although those locals who were owed money by her will probably never see a penny of her debts.

Alongside this, Liz’s own accounts of her dealing with other people – screaming at people, complaining at the way she is treated when she has just told us how unpleasant she has been to others – hardly garners any sympathy. She has a lifestyle that appears to be way beyond her means. Although her reported salary is huge, she overspends continually and won’t give up her little luxuries (special coffee and toothpaste, beauty preparations and designer clothes among other things. Not to mention the expense of her menagerie). She expects to buy the affection of other people with expensive presents and begrudges the fact that she can’t hold onto friends despite this. She contradicts regularly. The “Rock Star Boyfriend” who has never been seen with her has a hard time of it the way she reports her dealings with him (although most of these dealings are not face to face). Then she writes about being single and how she is happier that way. Happy is one thing she patently is not. She is also a hypocrite – a “vegan” who happily wears leather and eats dairy products. Where does the leather come from, I wonder? Her kindness to animals extends to keeping very sick pets alive far beyond the point when they should be put to sleep. As a long time animal owner myself I know how hard it is to let go, but I also know it is much harder for an animal to be kept “alive” when there is simply no quality of life left. Our duty of care to our animals includes knowing when to make the very hard decisions.

So why do I, and others, continue to read this badly written, inconsistent, output? Well as someone recently said on here, it is like a car crash. Horrible to look at but draws one to it. And because we read her words and are able to analyse them, we feel in a position to criticise. She lays herself open to criticism by the very fact of the way she reports everything. Publishing personal emails (in the case of those from her “boyfriend” after he had specifically asked her not to. If he exists, it is surprising that he continues to have any dealings with her when she refuses to obey his requests). Making unpleasant remarks about her mother, who is in no position to answer back. Do you remember her saying she was glad her mother had Alzheimer’s so she couldn’t give away Liz’s real age to Nirps? It beggars belief.

People research all varieties of things, and not always because they like them. But a scientist who carries out research into cancer doesn’t have to like the disease, merely to know as much as possible in order to try to eradicate it. Comparing Liz Jones to cancer is pretty extreme, I realise, but if one doesn’t know one’s subject it is not possible to make any valid critique.

I have, however, yet to find any evidence that Liz Jones is witty, funny or a good writer. Your arguments are not arguments because they don’t provide any evidence whatsoever of your claims.
  • vampyrevampyre Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Paula well said!
    Now I know you have seen tomorrow's offering in the magazine and you now have seen the justification for the overspending. It's all done for work, everything including getting married, just to keep a job. Truly the weakest justification I have ever come across.
    I'm sure her fans will love it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13
    Forum Member
    ell said Paula, I also await any actual direct quotes from Liz fans that would display wit, surely they can find a couple.
    I also do not like Liz, I frankly confess, but I will continue to read her column , mainly to see just how many inconsistencies she can add.
    I actually challenge any Liz fans to put forward any paragraphs what so ever that show humour, I also challenge them to try to desist from using the usual platitude of " if you dont like her..... "
    My feelings are the Liz Jones is morally bankrupt, she see no shame in owing people money and then showing off about expensive purchases, she has humiliated her family and friends and she has cynically used every private moment to further her writings...it would be hard to sink much lower
    Forum Member
    Absolutely on the money, Paula. I suspect she claimed the money she spent on her wedding against tax (as it was 'work') which leads her down yet another moral dead-end. As we know the Dreary is jam-packed with inconsistencies and garbage yet again (I dare say she called the police after the GBH and arson threats? She didn't? How odd!). However, it seems clear the Reeth honeymoon is over, which means she can recycle all the Dulverton articles with a northern accent. Yawn bloody yawn.
  • BeabarbBeabarb Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I'm afraid I have to agree with Paula. Liz Jones lost all my sympathy when she publicly stated she hadn't bothered to arrange net curtains for her mother even though the poor woman was lifted naked in a hoist in front of the window by her carers.
  • SeabirdSeabird Posts: 1,048
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Totally agreed. Liz prostitutes her entire life and of those foolish enough to have anything to do with her, all for money, and then continues to claim she is broke, can't feed her animals but buying a £2000 VB dress is a good investment because she will be able to write about it. I suspect that most of Liz's fans are animal lovers and she uses this to try to balance the vitriol she so justly deserves but true animal lovers are surely mortified at the death toll and conditions her poor animals endure, like the VB dress, they are nothing but material for her to write about and to give herself more attention. I too await examples that show this other saintly side that most of us can not see.
    Forum Member
    Quiet, isn't it...?
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ...tumbleweed...
  • newbabynewbaby Posts: 824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It’s been a long time since I posted on here, but I do pop in from time to time to read what other people are saying. And I see that every so often the Liz apologists appear, tell the majority of us that we shouldn’t be reading her if we don’t like her then disappear again. Apart from telling us that she is “funny” and a “brilliant writer” who “loves animals”, they don’t have any lucid argument to put about what they see in Liz Jones, her diary and her other articles. I’d like to put the case for those of us who read and criticise, and would be interested if you can say anything more to justify your position for a change.

Back in the days when Liz was married to Nirps, when I started reading her diary, I admit to having briefly felt some sort of sympathy for her. She was married to this cheating type who took advantage of her at every turn. But her own behaviour gradually made me see another side of her. It was with the disintegration of the marriage, and particularly her move to Dulverton, that I lost all sympathy.

Liz Jones moved to the country, buying a house out of the price range of the majority of her readers, thinking she would instantly fit into the country way of life. But instead of bending to adapt herself, she tried to impose her own values on those around her – telling the hunt what she thought of them, condemning farmers for rearing animals for meat and the like. She “rescued” far too many animals for one woman to look after – especially a woman who claims to work an 80 hour week and was often not at home, leaving other (often barely mentioned) to do the hard work. She had dogs and cats that were not house-trained and was unable to ride her horse properly. All this information comes from a combination of her own writings and the evidence of local people. When she eventually decided to sell up – citing financial troubles – she had to sell a house that stank (if all we hear about her animals is true) but was nowhere near the hovel she claimed it to be. It took her a long time to sell up, and when she eventually did so the locals were pleased to see the back of her. Although those locals who were owed money by her will probably never see a penny of her debts.

Alongside this, Liz’s own accounts of her dealing with other people – screaming at people, complaining at the way she is treated when she has just told us how unpleasant she has been to others – hardly garners any sympathy. She has a lifestyle that appears to be way beyond her means. Although her reported salary is huge, she overspends continually and won’t give up her little luxuries (special coffee and toothpaste, beauty preparations and designer clothes among other things. Not to mention the expense of her menagerie). She expects to buy the affection of other people with expensive presents and begrudges the fact that she can’t hold onto friends despite this. She contradicts regularly. The “Rock Star Boyfriend” who has never been seen with her has a hard time of it the way she reports her dealings with him (although most of these dealings are not face to face). Then she writes about being single and how she is happier that way. Happy is one thing she patently is not. She is also a hypocrite – a “vegan” who happily wears leather and eats dairy products. Where does the leather come from, I wonder? Her kindness to animals extends to keeping very sick pets alive far beyond the point when they should be put to sleep. As a long time animal owner myself I know how hard it is to let go, but I also know it is much harder for an animal to be kept “alive” when there is simply no quality of life left. Our duty of care to our animals includes knowing when to make the very hard decisions.

So why do I, and others, continue to read this badly written, inconsistent, output? Well as someone recently said on here, it is like a car crash. Horrible to look at but draws one to it. And because we read her words and are able to analyse them, we feel in a position to criticise. She lays herself open to criticism by the very fact of the way she reports everything. Publishing personal emails (in the case of those from her “boyfriend” after he had specifically asked her not to. If he exists, it is surprising that he continues to have any dealings with her when she refuses to obey his requests). Making unpleasant remarks about her mother, who is in no position to answer back. Do you remember her saying she was glad her mother had Alzheimer’s so she couldn’t give away Liz’s real age to Nirps? It beggars belief.

People research all varieties of things, and not always because they like them. But a scientist who carries out research into cancer doesn’t have to like the disease, merely to know as much as possible in order to try to eradicate it. Comparing Liz Jones to cancer is pretty extreme, I realise, but if one doesn’t know one’s subject it is not possible to make any valid critique.

I have, however, yet to find any evidence that Liz Jones is witty, funny or a good writer. Your arguments are not arguments because they don’t provide any evidence whatsoever of your claims.

A post of stellar excellence. To continue the scientific analogy: forensic. Thank you.

• gilliedewgilliedew Posts: 7,605
    Forum Member
    I dont post very often about Liz Jones and usually my point is if you dont like her why read her.

It is not that I am an apologist for her, far from it, I think she is very low in her arrogance and slating everything that she wants and cant have while she writes and behaves as she does.

I dont read her often as I dont buy the paper, if I see her online, if the title goads me into reading it, I will and todays was indeed just that again, preposterus in her pretentions.

But she seems to thrive on her (hate) mail, a harsh word but quite often it is and just drones on and on even about that. I feel if she was ignored, not replied to and told to go away like many of the fashion designers have said to her, one day, just one day, she might get the message as she obviously hasnt yet.

The long thread about her apologists seems really angry, why get angry about her, she is a sad frump of a woman, is ridiculed the length and breadth of the country and cant get a decent man to save her life. Whats to get angry about?
  • Paula PanzerPaula Panzer Posts: 297
    Forum Member
    gilliedew wrote: »
    I dont post very often about Liz Jones and usually my point is if you dont like her why read her.

It is not that I am an apologist for her, far from it, I think she is very low in her arrogance and slating everything that she wants and cant have while she writes and behaves as she does.

I dont read her often as I dont buy the paper, if I see her online, if the title goads me into reading it, I will and todays was indeed just that again, preposterus in her pretentions.

But she seems to thrive on her (hate) mail, a harsh word but quite often it is and just drones on and on even about that. I feel if she was ignored, not replied to and told to go away like many of the fashion designers have said to her, one day, just one day, she might get the message as she obviously hasnt yet.

The long thread about her apologists seems really angry, why get angry about her, she is a sad frump of a woman, is ridiculed the length and breadth of the country and cant get a decent man to save her life. Whats to get angry about?

Gilliedew, I am sorry you think I sound angry.

Well, actually, I do get angry at Liz Jones because what she does and writes actually hurts people, and animals. She hurts her mother (or would do if her mother were compos mentis enough to know what is being written, not to mention Beabarb's point); she hurts other family members by dragging their problems into her writings; she hurts numerous people she has dealings with by insulting them in print; she hurt her neighbours and tradespeople in Dulverton; she hurts her animals by anthropormorphising them and not treating them properly and humanely as circumstances demand.

You obviously are interested enough to read this thread, but it is the people who, like you, ask why we read her if we don't like her, but who actually defend her, that I am challenging here. I simply want to know whether they can actually come up with supporting evidence of their claims to her wit, real love of animals and talent as a writer. She seems to have a talent to get the DM to pay her a lot of money and, as you say, it generates a huge albeit nowadays largely negative response. To date nobody who claims to like her can give examples of why!
  • FatsiaFatsia Posts: 1,187
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with Paula Panzer. I don't like Liz Jones, and it has become something of a sport in my house - playing Liz Bingo and so on (giant feral children, buttery soft vegan leather, telling us how kind and 'never spiteful' she is then launching into a bitter attack on family/friends). What I don't understand, and this is a genuine question, not meant to rile anybody up, is where we can see her wit and warm funny humour coming through. I admit that the image of a dying chicken with its "beak parted in bliss" did make me laugh, but I never get the impression that the things I laugh at are things she intends us to laugh at.

Please can somebody provide me with even one example of her being witty, or warm, or funny?
  • vampyrevampyre Posts: 613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her astronomical salary annoys me, her low standard of writing annoys me and her nastiness about individuals and social categories of her own spiteful devising really annoy me. However, I feel more sorrow than anger that such a poor writer with an MO of malice and spite is columnist of the year.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 251
    Forum Member
    Seems to me that the anti-Liz posters are able to offer thoughtful, coherent reasons why they dislike her and her writings. They are able to pick apart her many inconsistencies, and demonstrate the ways in which she is malicious, cruel and hypocritical. The pro-Liz posters don't seem to possess the same abilities, and are reduced to the same handful of rebuttals: ''she loves animals', 'she's very funny'. But are unable to provide any proof to back up their assertions. In fact they are very quick to resort to abuse and personal remarks. Just sayin'.