Comments

• Options
    Eddie BadgerEddie Badger Posts: 6,005
    Forum Member
    Sad news RIP
  • Options
    EnglishspinnerEnglishspinner Posts: 6,132
    Forum Member
    Fantastic musician - Harmony Row and Songs for a Tailor two of my all time favourite albums. RIP Jack
  • Options
    ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,247
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never heard of him to be honest but one of the first things I read when I googled his name was "greatest bass player ever". What a great legacy to leave behind :).
  • Options
    heikerheiker Posts: 7,029
    Forum Member
    Never heard of him to be honest but one of the first things I read when I googled his name was "greatest bass player ever". What a great legacy to leave behind :).

Great singer too.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,226
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very sad news. Cream, of which JB was the bassist arguably pioneered the whole genre of blues rock in 1966, with Eric Clapton popularising the whole new way then of playing fiery lead guitar, although many guitarists a year later quickly adopted the style and improved upon it, Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page being 2 notable examples.

Jack Bruce wrote much of Cream's material, was a fantastic bass player and musician,. He had an operatic type voice which was unusual. He had looked seriously ill for a long time and I didn't know he had suffered liver cancer, but he had lost a huge amount of weight when I saw him on tv a few years ago. RIP Jack Bruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGcdnF-lKuc
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Very Very sad news indeed i guess thats another cream re-union gone forever now.:(

RIP Jack Bruce but hey what a legacy to leave behind.
  • Options
    Deep PurpleDeep Purple Posts: 63,255
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Huge shock (although maybe not) - Very sad news. :(
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    Sad news.

R.I.P. Jack, thanks for all the beautiful music.
  • Options
    swingalegswingaleg Posts: 103,240
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    RIP Jack.......
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,365
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Amazing musician, fantastic legacy.

r.i.p.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aww that's sad. I saw him last year. Definitely a shadow of his former playing but still singing well.
  • Options
    hallchallc Posts: 201,181
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RIP Jack,Go in peace to your White Room
  • Options
    terry45terry45 Posts: 2,876
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A genuine legend.

Thanks for the music Jack.
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This is my favourite Cream track, but really a Jack Bruce track which he managed to sneak onto the Goodbye album.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pzcPVCzfZMM
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    RIP Jack.

He certainly had a liver transplant a few years back [ heavy boozing ? } and has looked unwell for a few years.

Correctly pointed out that Jack 's singing technique was unusual in the Rock world in that he was trained in the operatic style and sang from the gut rather than the throat, this meant he was LOUD and long gruelling US tours never tired out his voicebox .

He famously got on really badly with Ginger Baker, and it will be interesting to see if Ginger will find anything nice to say about him.

I shall play Songs For A Tailor in memory of Jack.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,003
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Centaurion wrote: »
    I shall play Songs For A Tailor in memory of Jack.
    Seconded ...
    'Theme for an imaginary western' and 'To Isengard' several times (though that's not to do down the rest of the album).
    I wish I was still in contact with the person who knew him and also roadie'd for him in the 60's up to Cream. I've said elsewhere before that he has endless tales of those days, first in Scotland, then at The Marquee etc (especially some almost unbelievable Bruce/Baker tales if you didn't know about their relationship). Never thought at the time to jot any of it down, it was just (very interesting) pub chat ... :(
  • Options
    CentaurionCentaurion Posts: 2,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Seconded ...
    'Theme for an imaginary western' and 'To Isengard' several times (though that's not to do down the rest of the album).
    I wish I was still in contact with the person who knew him and also roadie'd for him in the 60's up to Cream. I've said elsewhere before that he has endless tales of those days, first in Scotland, then at The Marquee etc (especially some almost unbelievable Bruce/Baker tales if you didn't know about their relationship). Never thought at the time to jot any of it down, it was just (very interesting) pub chat ... :(

Love the story of Jack, Ginger and Eric while on a Scottish leg of of a tour , driving up to Fort William and hoofing it up Ben Nevis [ no mean feat ] having a few recreational spliffs at the top , and , laughing like maniacal loons, running all the way back down again. :)
  • Options
    mushymanrobmushymanrob Posts: 17,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    thought ginger would be the first to go... sad news, but a great legacy.
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FrankBT wrote: »
    Very sad news. Cream, of which JB was the bassist arguably pioneered the whole genre of blues rock in 1966, with Eric Clapton popularising the whole new way then of playing fiery lead guitar, although many guitarists a year later quickly adopted the style and improved upon it, Jimi Hendrix and Jimmy Page being 2 notable examples.

Jack Bruce wrote much of Cream's material, was a fantastic bass player and musician,. He had an operatic type voice which was unusual. He had looked seriously ill for a long time and I didn't know he had suffered liver cancer, but he had lost a huge amount of weight when I saw him on tv a few years ago. RIP Jack Bruce.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGcdnF-lKuc

Lonnie Mack was doing it long before JB . as usual it was taken from america and passed off as original in the uk !

R.I.P Jack Bruce , a Cracking musican .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lonnie Mack was doing it long before JB . as usual it was taken from america and passed off as original in the uk !
    I'd be a bit cautious about citing him as progenitor.
    He wasn't either well known or influential in the UK during the 63-65 period when he first struck out with that style. Mayall's trainee gutarists were only shortly behind him with strapping solos in a proto-psych style to blues, both with the Bluesbreakers and their subsequent Yardbirds etc. And you can trace the development of solos through the Merseybeat sound and R&B and their influence on guitarists anyway.
    Not a scientific conclusion, but ...
    I've only had time for a short look, and Clapton, Beck, Mayall etc barely mention him, and not at all as an early influence.
    Unfortunately I can't lay my hands on the two best books on British blues right now, but I don't recall him being mentioned at all. Interestingly, his biogs and other references in books up to the mid-90s don't make much of his influence either - although they do mention his different style. You'd have thought more would have been made of it if.

That's not to say the point that we nicked it all from the US isn't true of course :D
  • Options
    Madridista23Madridista23 Posts: 9,422
    Forum Member
    Met this guy when i worked at Stigwoods many years ago. One of the nice guys in the music industry. Legend. :cool:
  • Options
    Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,498
    Forum Member
    Very Very sad news indeed i guess thats another cream re-union gone forever now.:(

RIP Jack Bruce but hey what a legacy to leave behind.

To be honest, I don't think wild horses would have dragged Bruce and Baker back on stage together.
  • Options
    denial_orstupiddenial_orstupid Posts: 665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd be a bit cautious about citing him as progenitor.
    He wasn't either well known or influential in the UK during the 63-65 period when he first struck out with that style. Mayall's trainee gutarists were only shortly behind him with strapping solos in a proto-psych style to blues, both with the Bluesbreakers and their subsequent Yardbirds etc. And you can trace the development of solos through the Merseybeat sound and R&B and their influence on guitarists anyway.
    Not a scientific conclusion, but ...
    I've only had time for a short look, and Clapton, Beck, Mayall etc barely mention him, and not at all as an early influence.
    Unfortunately I can't lay my hands on the two best books on British blues right now, but I don't recall him being mentioned at all. Interestingly, his biogs and other references in books up to the mid-90s don't make much of his influence either - although they do mention his different style. You'd have thought more would have been made of it if.

That's not to say the point that we nicked it all from the US isn't true of course :D

I am merely pointing out that Lonnie Mack was doing that style before Jack Bruce , it doesnt matter how popular he was or that he was relatively uknown.
    you cannot say someone pioneered something when there were people doing it a long time before you.

But at least we can agree on the stealing it all from america :D
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    To be honest, I don't think wild horses would have dragged Bruce and Baker back on stage together.

No thats very probably right.!;-)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am merely pointing out that Lonnie Mack was doing that style before Jack Bruce , it doesnt matter how popular he was or that he was relatively uknown.
    you cannot say someone pioneered something when there were people doing it a long time before you.
    Just been listening to his early stuff, I'd forgotten how good it was. Thanks for the reminder.

I wonder if his lowly public position in the scheme of things (because he clearly should have a higher profile) was due to his unwillingness to play the showbiz game?
    Anyone who can channel 'Telstar', Hank Marvin on speed and the Amboy Dukes version of 'Baby Please Don't Go' (not to be recorded until 5 years later and obviously influenced by it) in 'Wham' deserves far better treatment by history.

Glad nobody's pointed out he wasn't a bass player :D but you're absolutely right, Bruce attacked it in the same way.