Youview killer

technopawtechnopaw Posts: 61
Forum Member
"rewind" a week on tv with youview, big deal, i want one of these bad boys!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP0bXHFLpfY

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 19
    Forum Member
    technopaw wrote: »

There is only BBCi Player, Youtube is been developed to launch on Youview soon. The online radio/music service is a good idea but I'm sure that could be added to Youview. I do wish I could connect to other devices on my home network via my Youview box, it's one thing I really want!
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

A YouView killer? A Pure Avalon? I don't think so. It doesn't even have all the catch up players.

3.5/5.0 as per this review -

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/digital-tv-recorders/pure-avalon-300r-connect-1132965/review?src=rss&attr=all
  • tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A YouView killer would be a box with 6 tuners (one per DTT MUX), and a massive hard drive so that it can record each mux complete to the hard drive, keeping a full 7 day catch-up service for all channels.

However, the disk space required would be huge - around 16TB to keep a week's worth of broadcasts.

I know the BBC were working on something along these lines at one point - and now 4TB drives are starting to come onto the market, perhaps it's not too far off.

You'd then need one further drive that any scheduled recordings you want will be extracted to like a normal PVR.
  • technopawtechnopaw Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    There is only BBCi Player, Youtube is been developed to launch on Youview soon. The online radio/music service is a good idea but I'm sure that could be added to Youview. I do wish I could connect to other devices on my home network via my Youview box, it's one thing I really want!

Youview needs the following:

Youview, extraordinary tv for everyone^

*well some of you at least.

Youview needs a minimum line speed of 3meg, no one can guarantee that speed with their provider, the catch up is a gimmick as in Ulster ITV programmes are not avialable and channel 4 and channel 5 content is so poor, why bother rewinding back a week of c**p. Why not just record these things?

Other boxes like echostar and view 21 have included youtube so you can watch on demand telly and rent movies from youtube subscription free and beyond the limits of youview.

In the end having road tested youview and been trully unimpressed to want to part with my cash, freeview+ still is my number 1 choice.
  • gkmacgkmac Posts: 208
    Forum Member
    tellytart1 wrote: »
    A YouView killer would be a box with 6 tuners (one per DTT MUX), and a massive hard drive so that it can record each mux complete to the hard drive, keeping a full 7 day catch-up service for all channels.
    ...and such a box does exist.
  • kasgkasg Posts: 4,711
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gkmac wrote: »
    ...and such a box does exist.
    The snag being that it costs £1,000.
  • VisionMan1VisionMan1 Posts: 2,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Youview needs the following:

Youview, extraordinary tv for everyone^

*well some of you at least.

Youview needs a minimum line speed of 3meg, no one can guarantee that speed with their provider, the catch up is a gimmick as in Ulster ITV programmes are not avialable and channel 4 and channel 5 content is so poor, why bother rewinding back a week of c**p. Why not just record these things?

Other boxes like echostar and view 21 have included youtube so you can watch on demand telly and rent movies from youtube subscription free and beyond the limits of youview.

In the end having road tested youview and been trully unimpressed to want to part with my cash, freeview+ still is my number 1 choice.

Good for you. And your entitled to your opinion too. But that doesn't mean you right.

Oh, and you need a minimum linespeed for all internet connected services, technopaw. Including the limited content on the Pure Avalon your enthusing about too.

YouView killer? For the price and content? My arse.
  • ds_readerds_reader Posts: 10,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    A YouView killer? A Pure Avalon? I don't think so. It doesn't even have all the catch up players.

3.5/5.0 as per this review -

http://www.techradar.com/reviews/audio-visual/digital-tv-recorders/pure-avalon-300r-connect-1132965/review?src=rss&attr=all

That review overplays the 3 tuner line... who doesn't have a Freeview TV probably HD to supply the 3rd tuner... well anyone who's going to buy a qulaity British product like the Pure Avalon.

I'll leave the cheap Polish tat to others!
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,692
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Adverts can make anything look good, the pure looks so smooth in operation on the advert but is it? i have seen adverts in the past for things and when I buy them, they are not as good as I thought they would be.

Saying that, if I was in the market for something like the Pure, I think the Pure would come to the top of my list, i would not get you view, certainly not with Talk Talk being part of it or Bt for that matter.

but if I went back to watching TV, my digital stream will do the job fine for me.

Ouch, I just looked at the price, £345 from Amazon for the 1TB model.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Pure looks nice but it's way too expensive for what it actually does. I certainly wouldn't pay that sort of money just to record the low bitrate crud on Freeview.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,252
    Forum Member
    The 3view box was going to be a Youview killer too.

On paper, it was, and it even got a head start on the market. Where is it now though?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lstar337 wrote: »
    The 3view box was going to be a Youview killer too.

On paper, it was, and it even got a head start on the market. Where is it now though?

The problem is a lot of these boxes that come on the market looks good and they have great specs, but the software is normally slow or full of bugs. I remember my old Thomson DHD4000, when I first got it, the reliability was not great, falling over and even missing some recordings. in about 5-12 months it started to get better as they updated the firmware and the last update it was a great machine. a lot of people would not have put up with that and would have returned the box right away.

i then got myself a TOP UP Tv thomson PVR, because it offered Series record, which my old Thomson did not. again it was unstable and started to get better until I packed it away for 2 years. It did not like that and started to fail when I started using it again.

Now the Digital Stream box I have got is great, it worked out of the box for me, the updates that it have had sorted out some sound issues which did not affect me.

Even if the box is fantastic it needs the backing, even a crap box can do well if it have backing and that is what You View have got, with Trash Talk, bloated Taod and the Bloated broadcasting company behind it, they are going to push it even if they can only give the box away they are going to say it is a success. Lets see how well it is doing in sales at the end of this year. As a PVR, You view is still over priced.

i hope Pure does well with the Avalon, but the price will need to be cut and more catch up will need to be in place.

If it was marketed as a simple PVR, then the catch up bit would not be important. I really hope the reliability is better than the Pure radio I had

I think there is too much software in stuff these days and that is where things go wrong, in the days when things used to be mechanical and worked with Switches and hardware , things used to be more reliable and easy to fix.

My Panasoinc VHS is over 20 years old and still works, i wonder if any of these you view boxes will still be working in 20 years.
  • -GONZO--GONZO- Posts: 9,624
    Forum Member
    noise747 wrote: »
    My Panasoinc VHS is over 20 years old and still works, i wonder if any of these you view boxes will still be working in 20 years.
    I suppose that all depends on your definition of still works. Granted it may not have any faulty parts, but it now has limited functionality due to not being able to tune into analogue TV channels.
    Trouble is these days technology moves forward too fast which makes alot of devices dead before their time.
    I've got an old Goodmans Freeview box in the loft which is not faulty in any way, but due to Freeview changes its now obsolete.
  • technopawtechnopaw Posts: 61
    Forum Member
    VisionMan1 wrote: »
    Good for you. And your entitled to your opinion too. But that doesn't mean you right.

Oh, and you need a minimum linespeed for all internet connected services, technopaw. Including the limited content on the Pure Avalon your enthusing about too.

YouView killer? For the price and content? My arse.

With the absence of youview on it's intended launch, there has been a sabbatical on new innovative freeview+ boxes being produced. It's only been within the last 2 years that such internet based boxes have come to the market, in a way, freeview fans like me should thank youview, as pure, echostar and view 21 are now developing boxes to rival youview.

No they don't have all the on demand players, yet, but this is something that can be added. And apps with lovefilm and netflix are pending on pure and view21.

Youview, at least the one you buy in the shops, is piggybacking on the freeview service, and to purchase one of the these units for what it does is a waste of cash, I'm not knocking youview, i think it will be a great success, but for those who use it with talktalk and BT as i think you get more for your buck that way.
  • Nigel GoodwinNigel Goodwin Posts: 58,330
    Forum Member
    Youview, at least the one you buy in the shops, is piggybacking on the freeview service

I think you're missing the point?.

Youview was supposed to be a uniform interface for IPTV on Freeview and Freesat boxes/TV's - which was a great idea as at the moment every manufacturer offers different options.

Rather bizarrely Freesat suddenly decided against it, and brought out their own in-compatible system - more confusion for the public!.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    -GONZO- wrote: »
    I suppose that all depends on your definition of still works. Granted it may not have any faulty parts, but it now has limited functionality due to not being able to tune into analogue TV channels.
    Trouble is these days technology moves forward too fast which makes alot of devices dead before their time.
    I've got an old Goodmans Freeview box in the loft which is not faulty in any way, but due to Freeview changes its now obsolete.

You hit the nail on the head there, somethings just move to fast and you got to keep buying over and over again, it gets stupid.

You buy a Tv, you expect it to last until it goes pop, you don't expect to replace it because someone stuck in a office decides we need a new system.

I know people who have had their analogue TV sets for 30 years or more and yet have had to replace a box so they can get TV twice in the last few years.

what next, stop people with old mobile phone using them? Ok I know analogue mobiles went out, but how long will it be fore people with old phones like the Nokia 3310 will not be able to use them?

Some old technology is far better than the modern stuff, there is a radio gram at my Dad house, he is moving into a smaller place in the next few weeks, I am bringing the radio gram up here because I don't want it dumped, the quality of the sound even if it is mono is amazing. it must be early 60s.

I know a photographer who still won't use digital, his reason is he paid a lot of money for his equipment and it all still works and gives great results, so why buy new when he don't have to. thankfully he can still get his pictures developed.

But even newer technology changes so quick, I got a DVD recorder with a analogue tuner, it still works fine to record from Scart.

I think some of it just a way to get people to spend money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the absence of youview on it's intended launch, there has been a sabbatical on new innovative freeview+ boxes being produced. It's only been within the last 2 years that such internet based boxes have come to the market, in a way, freeview fans like me should thank youview, as pure, echostar and view 21 are now developing boxes to rival youview.

No they don't have all the on demand players, yet, but this is something that can be added. And apps with lovefilm and netflix are pending on pure and view21.

Youview, at least the one you buy in the shops, is piggybacking on the freeview service, and to purchase one of the these units for what it does is a waste of cash, I'm not knocking youview, i think it will be a great success, but for those who use it with talktalk and BT as i think you get more for your buck that way.

Need to sort out a Freesat version of You view, saying that Pure should produce a freesat version of their box as well.

You view only done so well because it is backed by Bt and Talk Talk, i think it would have failed if not given away.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Youview was supposed to be a uniform interface for IPTV on Freeview and Freesat boxes/TV's - which was a great idea as at the moment every manufacturer offers different options.

Rather bizarrely Freesat suddenly decided against it, and brought out their own in-compatible system - more confusion for the public!.

When have we ever had a uniform interface? over the years each VCR did things differently, DVD players, DVd recorders, TV sets, radios and Blue-ray players, they are all different, so bloody what?

We coped before, if you think the public is confused because of a change of layout then maybe we should give up now. Look at washing machines, they are all different, Microwaves are different if they are digital, mobile phones are different.

Not sure what Freesat is doing to be honest.
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747,

You do like to say some funny things. Don't you realise that the Freeview version of YouView is YouView? You can go and buy a box if you wish. Nothing to do with BT or TT.

As for people having to replace their TVs, haven't you seen those £20 STB thingies?

Cheers,
    David.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2Bdecided wrote: »
    noise747,

You do like to say some funny things. Don't you realise that the Freeview version of YouView is YouView? You can go and buy a box if you wish. Nothing to do with BT or TT.

I said a Freesat version. i know full well that it is possible to buy a youView box. you view have a lot to do with BT at least as without BT you view would not exist as they put a lot of money into it. Talk Talk not so much as they hopped on board later on. but if Bt and Talk Talk was not giving the box away I doubt it will would do that well.

As for people having to replace their TVs, haven't you seen those £20 STB thingies?

Cheers,
    David.

you get a bit fed up of it having to do it every few years and some people don't want a box under their TV.

My Dad for instance have a small TV set and want nothing else on it, he got no need for a PVR. Ok I doubt things will change now for a few years, but it seemed like every 3-4 years something was changing and people could not use old boxes or TV sets.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I used to think this but I understand it's incorrect. Freesat has to be different because it is not allowed to carry linear paid-for channels be they through IPTV or satellite unless the BBC Trust alters its ruling. As Freesat was not envisaged to have paid-for linear channels, it did not seek this approval whereas YouView did.
    I think that when the old Freesat PVRs are phased out it will become quite simple - here's a satellite PVR and here's an aerial PVR.
    What I think is a bit confusing is YouView v Freeview as Freeview is an independent company and planning the future of its platform too. But that's another story!
  • 2Bdecided2Bdecided Posts: 4,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I said a Freesat version.
    So you did - sorry noise747. That'll teach me to post when half asleep!
    you get a bit fed up of it having to do it every few years and some people don't want a box under their TV.

My Dad for instance have a small TV set and want nothing else on it, he got no need for a PVR. Ok I doubt things will change now for a few years, but it seemed like every 3-4 years something was changing and people could not use old boxes or TV sets.
    People I know seem to make their STBs last for nearly a decade. Maybe they are buying better STBs than you?

While I don't like umpteen shopping channels squeezing the bitrate of (slightly) better channels, I welcome digital, widescreen, PVR, 2k>8k (better reception), HD, iPlayer on the TV, my own photos, videos and music pulled off my home network on the TV, networked PVR, etc - I wouldn't want to be stuck with something that hadn't improved for 10 years, never mind 30 years.

Cheers,
    David.
  • pburke90pburke90 Posts: 14,754
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kasg wrote: »
    The snag being that it costs £1,000.
    ...and the software is basic and very bland looking, and the remote is horrible and weirdly shaped and the STB itself looks incredibly cheap and plastic-y...
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Need to sort out a Freesat version of You view
    There is. It's called freetime and one of the better things about it over Youview is that it only shows the catchup programmes you can actually watch!
  • DragonQDragonQ Posts: 4,807
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But Freetime has no live IPTV or premium content.

It bothers me that YouView is clearly going to be much more popular than FreeTime, despite the fact that the former is based on an inferior system (Freeview instead of Freesat).