Band T-Shirts when people aren't into the band

dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Just recently I have noticed shops such as peacocks, primark are selling t-shirts with bands like The Ramones, Guns n Roses, Motorhead and Rolling Stones. Then I see people wearing this stuff as they like the design and it really gets on my tits :mad:, I just don't think you should wear a band if you aren't into them, and before anyone asks how do I know they aren't, some come into where I work and I ask them and they say 'I just liked the top' grrrrrrrrrrr

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 152
    Forum Member
    I have a Rolling Stones tshirt and I haven't heard any of their music.
  • dodger0703dodger0703 Posts: 1,957
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Dough Nut wrote: »
    I have a Rolling Stones tshirt and I haven't heard any of their music.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
  • mimicolemimicole Posts: 50,916
    Forum Member
    It's a real pet hate of mine, OP. I don't understand why someone would wear a band t-shirt if they're not into them.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »
    It's a real pet hate of mine, OP. I don't understand why someone would wear a band t-shirt if they're not into them.

I think sometimes people genuinely don't realise - you can get T-shirts with all sorts of things on in places like Primark or Topshop, so if you don't know the band it might not always be obvious. But yes I agree, if you know the band and don't like/know their music, it seems a bit stupid to wear their T-shirts.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mimicole wrote: »

Thanks, thought I was the only one.

To me its a way of recognising like minded souls, you see someone in say a Metallica t-shirt and you know you are on the same wavelength musically and you can strike up a chat
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction & The Wanted are clear culprits of this... it's marketing. Wearing a Pink Floyd T-Shirt because they want to be seen as "cool".

But instead, they'll always be the crappy, manufactured pile of sh*t boybands that will be forgotten and laughed at in years to come.

And anyone who listens to them has no right an opinion on any music.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One Direction & The Wanted are clear culprits of this... it's marketing. Wearing a Pink Floyd T-Shirt because they want to be seen as "cool".

But instead, they'll always be the crappy, manufactured pile of sh*t boybands that will be forgotten and laughed at in years to come.

And anyone who listens to them has no right an opinion on any music.

You don't like One Direction and The Wanted then I take it
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    River Island went through a phase of selling Rihanna t-shirts before and it used to annoy me all the people wearing them who never heard a Rihanna song before:(
  • eugenespeedeugenespeed Posts: 66,695
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'd rather people wear a t-shirt of a band than one of those annoying "rock chick" or "punk girl" tops.

Here's a clue, if you have to wear a t-shirt with rock or punk on, you are not.

That said, not much you can do about it. People can wear what they like.
  • LilNikki1987LilNikki1987 Posts: 261
    Forum Member
    I only have a select few band t-shirts as I only wear the ones I really like/am into which are:

The Killers/Brandon Flowers
    Guns & Roses
    Alicia Keys
    Florence +The Machine
    Rolling Stones
    Jimi Hendrix

Would love a Bon Jovi or Lenny Kravitz one as I'm a big fan, hopefuly I can get to a gig of either in the future a get a souvenir one :)
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    River Island went through a phase of selling Rihanna t-shirts before and it used to annoy me all the people wearing them who never heard a Rihanna song before:(

Is this a joke post?
  • Ali_CWAli_CW Posts: 83
    Forum Member
    This is was of those little things that I have noticed over time.
    Good thread!

It does show how commercial music has become. Certain artists have become fashion items almost. It does not matter if you like their music. It was never like this not so long ago.
    The music industry has devalued.

I own a couple of t shirts of my favourite artists. Never really worn them though!
  • MaksonMakson Posts: 30,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rocketpop wrote: »
    Is this a joke post?

No River Island definitely stocked Rihanna t-shirts at one point...I think they had GaGa ones too
  • RocketpopRocketpop Posts: 1,350
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No River Island definitely stocked Rihanna t-shirts at one point...I think they had GaGa ones too

I didn't mean it as a joke that way.

- who hasn't heard of Rihanna? (Even less I feel when you add in the 'shops at river island' qualifier).

- No ones going for 'cool' wearing a Rihanna T-Shirt, your more likely to get laughed at, unless your a child.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

To be honest you have picked the wrong example there. The sort of people going into River Island are BOUND to know and have heard loads of Rihanna songs. In fact EVERYONE has heard plenty of her songs as she releases 1 every month:eek:
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But then out of everyone who wears a Che Guevara t shirt, how many of them are actually members of The Tooting Popular Front;)
    It doesnt really matter.
  • BadKid95BadKid95 Posts: 7,137
    Forum Member
    I tend to buy t-shirts when I go to gigs but I have bought them from places such as Primark for example a Debbie Harry one but only ones of bands/artists who I listen to. I went a few weeks ago and saw The Ramones shirts, I did like the look of them but as I've never listened to the band I would never dream of buying it, I would be quite stupid if I bought the shirt, then later listened to the music and found out I didn't like what I heard.
  • KMKYWAPKMKYWAP Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How can people have never heard a Rihanna song?

Or were the people wearing the clothes 60 year old blokes or something?
  • JumbobonesJumbobones Posts: 1,814
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some idiot asked me about my Led Zeppelin top 'Do you like their music or did you just like the top..?'Are you F^&*ing kidding me?
  • uniqueunique Posts: 12,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    a ramones t shirt would be the last band t shirt i would wear as it's probably the most common band t shirt worn by people that couldn't name a single track by the band. the number of times in a bar i've asked someone with a ramones t shirt on what their favourite track is and they don't have a clue and end up looking a right dick in front of their mates. the ones that have the back writing are pretty horrible designs, the ones with "hey ho..." on them. the classic logo looks good but with primark selling them for £3 to kids that don't have a clue and even adults who don't have a clue, it's the last thing i'd want to be grouped with
    the stones and guns n roses are common too, but i'd expect most people to know some stones songs, and at least a couple of GnR tracks like sweet child o mine, but literally yesterday i saw a couple of girls out the window who must have been about 13 and one wearing a GnR t shirt and the other a jack daniels t, and i did wonder if they had a clue about what they were representing.

i do have an absolutely huge t shirt collection, i used to get new band t shirts every week and because i got so many they weren't worn often so most are still in almost new condition. i have a nice selection of rare shirts to wear at gigs knowing no-one else is ever going to have a local crew t shirt from 1987 or security t shirt from 93. problem is with a lot of the vintage shirts is the sizes back then were much smaller than they are now
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It could easily lead to awkward conversation...

"Oh, I see you're a Ramone's fan. What's your favourite song? Mine is Sheena Is a Punk Rocker"

"..."
  • Hollie_LouiseHollie_Louise Posts: 39,759
    Forum Member
    dodger0703 wrote: »
    You don't like One Direction and The Wanted then I take it

You picked up on the subtle hints the poster was dropping then :p ..

How could you possibly know The Wanted and 1D aren't fans of Pink Floyd?! Just because they don't produce that style of music doesn't mean they aren't fans of it?!

As for me not having a right to an opinion because I like The Wanted, what absolute rubbish.. I'm also a big fan of Queen, Rolling Stones, Oasis so I don't just listen to boyband music
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just ask them what their favourite song is, or fave b-side. Usually ends in them admitting they only bought it cos "it looked nice." Also, 9 out of 10 times they're female.
  • Delboy219Delboy219 Posts: 3,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How could you possibly know The Wanted and 1D aren't fans of Pink Floyd?! Just because they don't produce that style of music doesn't mean they aren't fans of it?!

Do have a link to an interview where they wax lyrical about The Floyd, and also go into detail about which Floyd albums inspired their work?
  • ags_ruleags_rule Posts: 19,389
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I had a conversation with a girl once who was wearing an AC/DC t-shirt, asked her what she thought of their latest album and I just got a blank stare followed by, "Oh, I don't ACTUALLY listen to them!" OK love, jog on then.