Surround sound

MatthartlaneMatthartlane Posts: 757
Forum Member
✭✭
Hi All,

I wondered If I could pick your brains

I have very recently brought a Phillips HTL3120/12 sound bar, but can't get sound from the optical cable.

My set up is

Sound bar to tv via HDMI
Sky HD to sound bar via HDMI
Playstation 3 to sound bar via HDMI and Optical.

I have gone into the sound settings on the playstation and changed it to optical rather than HDMI but when I play anything, I get pictures but no sound!..

The my TV is a old samsung with one HDMI slot!..

Thanks

Matt

Comments

• Philip WalesPhilip Wales Posts: 6,373
    Forum Member
    Try taking the PS3 straight to the TV with HDMI and then using the optical from sound bar to PS3, that should work. If it does you might then have to configure the soundbar (does it have settings). It seems as if the HDMI's are overriding the optical.
  • MinkinitMinkinit Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    You should be able to transmit the 5.1 sound to the soundbar from the PS3 HDMI without needing an optical cable.

Looking at your manual, it seems you have to manually switch through different outputs using the remote so you cant have both optical and HDMI outputting at the same time. You would either have no sound, or no picture

Try

HDMI IN 1 - Sky
    HDMI IN 2 - PS3
    HDMI Out - TV

And switch back to HDMI sound on the PS3
  • MatthartlaneMatthartlane Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks both for the suggestions!!.. currently I have

TV in HDMI Out
    PS3 in HDMI 1
    SKY in HDMI 2

Will I still be able to get surround sound via HDMI??.. Also now when I turn the playstation on while I am on the home screen the tv keeps flicking off and on!!

Strange!!
  • MinkinitMinkinit Posts: 446
    Forum Member
    Yeah, you can receive 5.1 over HDMI. On the front of your sound bar, it should say whether it is 2.1, 5.1 mode.

Might be worth recalibrating both the video and sound settings again on the PS3
  • MatthartlaneMatthartlane Posts: 757
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks Minkinit.

Unfortunately it does not say weather it is 2.1 or 5.1..

On the remote there is a surround sound button in which I have chose this and put it into surr mode!.. Assume this is 5.1 surround sound!..

Will have to double check the ps3.. It's never happened before!!