Nexus 7 bluetooth internet

len112len112 Posts: 4,156
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have the original nexus and the new version . With the original I can tether to my phone an go on line . With the new one it pairs to the phone but when I click the setting on the phone to "use for internet access" it says connecting but then doesn't make the connection and goes back to "use for internet access" agaiin . Is the set up for the new nexus different to the old one . They are both paired correctly .

Comments

• flagpoleflagpole Posts: 44,641
    Forum Member
    restart it?
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    flagpole wrote: »
    restart it?

That was the first thing I tried, it didn't work .
  • highland paddyhighland paddy Posts: 672
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How do you tether? Would I be able to do this at my mum's using a smartphone as she has no broadband?
  • jonner101jonner101 Posts: 3,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you tether? Would I be able to do this at my mum's using a smartphone as she has no broadband?

Easiest way is via wifi. This in effect turns your smartphone into a wireless router.

If you have an android phone go into settings, click more under wireless and settings, go into set-up Wi-Fi hotspot and choose what name and password you want, then click on the check box to make it active next to Portable Wi-Fi hotspot.

Then on the computer, assuming it has wifi you should see the name appear and you connect using the password.

The process is similar on an iPhone, except the menu option under settings is called personal hotspot.

This can also be done using bluetooth or USB.

Bear in mind some providers don't allow tethering and also this will be heavy on the phone battery.
  • paulbrockpaulbrock Posts: 16,632
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    WiFi is easiest, but Bluetooth is much better for battery.
  • Sandy AlessandroSandy Alessandro Posts: 13,854
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And on the iPhone 3 you can't do WiFi hotspots. You need the 4 upwards.
  • len112len112 Posts: 4,156
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I eventually got it working , I didn't realise that you had to go deeper into the settings to enable bluetooth tethering , you have to select bluetooth then the "More" option to see it . I use bluetooth as it was supposedly less draining on the phone battery and I don't really notice much drop off in speed .
  • JFCJFC Posts: 569
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    len112 wrote: »
    I have the original nexus and the new version . With the original I can tether to my phone an go on line . With the new one it pairs to the phone but when I click the setting on the phone to "use for internet access" it says connecting but then doesn't make the connection and goes back to "use for internet access" agaiin . Is the set up for the new nexus different to the old one . They are both paired correctly .

OK mine was doing this and I think I sorted it by clicking on the symbol to the left of 'use for internet connection' and the tick comes up instead of clicking on the actual words.