Great British Menu Series 8

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hiya peeps :)
    Whodini wrote: »
    Not sure how I feel about the judges knowing who cooked the menu before the end of tasting. Seems a touch unfair considering the cliquey nature of these programmes.

C'mon. Been saying for years that the professional judges must have had a serious clue about most of the dishes they were tasting... given their experience...
    Melodybear wrote: »
    This is a bit of a farce...the judges are normally always on about the brief.....

Yeah but often choose the better tasting food... Prue is particularly prone to the about face :mad: .
    planets wrote: »
    i would like to have seen what the judges thought of Matt''s dishes - they should just skip the celeb chef judging section

BTW: Looking at the chef clips at the beginning I'm thinking they have invited back several of the chefs that had shown whimsy in the past... Thinking particularly of Steph... wonder if she can surpass her dessert for the street party where ppl would've drawn their own desserts on the tablecloth (but she didn't get through :( )

Totally random... Keep wondering if one year one of the chefs mights be someone who won/undertook a Masterchef... Told you it was random :o
  • Bryant N MayBryant N May Posts: 597
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    As I've mentioned before I think the judges confusion over the way the brief should be handled each year detracts from the programme.

In a way they are in a difficult situation as lets say that a chef produces a 'perfect' dish with no attempt at humour and the other produces a nice dish served with red noses round the plate. Are they seriously going to mark the humourous dish higher ? I think not.

However the brief is there so the dishes should be marked on the quality of the food and then an additional mark awarded for each course to the chef who has best stuck to the brief even if almost the only way of sticking to it is to use novelty props which we will become tired of by the end of the series if not already.

That way the chefs are encouraged to think about the brief but the judging will be more clearly defined.

On the point of the judges now knowing who cooked which dish, they have always been able to differentiate anyway as the chefs usually have their own style. The point someone else made about the camera shots of the photo of the chef after each dish is valid too.
  • gemma-the-huskygemma-the-husky Posts: 18,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    i think it's had it as a format, now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 109
    Forum Member
    What a joke... Matt was robbed. Adam totally ignored the brief in every dish. Who was the female chef last year who got marked down for doing the same thing?

Was it Steph who went tit's up last year?

Defo a fix on the final score, Matt underscored on his dessert, but if he was given a 9, IMO should have been, him and Adam would have tied.
    BUT, What would happen then? (please pause for fake tension)
  • walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,554
    Forum Member
    There leaning too heavily on this idea of 'Comedy', Id be really surprised if someone can cook a dish which makes them laugh without resorting to stupid props.

Well there's stupid props and there's making no attempt whatsoever to make it funny which is what Adam did.
    Forum Member
    Didnt we have this trouble last year? Ridiculous hard to fathom brief and a lack of consistency in judging.

How is the brief hard to fathom? They need to cook food that is witty and gives people a smile.
  • lammtarralammtarra Posts: 4,175
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well there's stupid props and there's making no attempt whatsoever to make it funny which is what Adam did.

It was telling that Arabella Weir pointed out that all Adam's dessert needed was a single glace cherry to fulfil the brief.

All Adam's starter needed was a witty title drawing attention to the fact that the pigeon was being served with pigeon food.

With extremely small changes, Adam would have met the brief at least as well and probably better than Tom, who for the most part served straight food with comedy props.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt we have this trouble last year? Ridiculous hard to fathom brief and a lack of consistency in judging.

Last year the brief was incomprehensible. Being Olympian and striving for excellence or something. Boundaries may have been pushed at some point.

I don't think anyone knew what the heck it was.
  • aggsaggs Posts: 29,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There leaning too heavily on this idea of 'Comedy', Id be really surprised if someone can cook a dish which makes them laugh without resorting to stupid props.

The problem is, they've had that in previous series - Jason Atherton and his BLT starter or Glynn Purnell and his egg custard in an egg. Witty without being kerayzeee :cool: :o
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    aggs wrote: »
    Last year the brief was incomprehensible. Being Olympian and striving for excellence or something. Boundaries may have been pushed at some point.

I don't think anyone knew what the heck it was.
    I think the only two decent briefs they've ever had was to use local ingredients and possibly regional classics

and the one at the Gherkin cooking for the best chefs in the world.
    Just cook to your very best and impress the best in the business.
    Forum Member
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    I think the only two decent briefs they've ever had was to use local ingredients and possibly regional classics

and the one at the Gherkin cooking for the best chefs in the world.
    Just cook to your very best and impress the best in the business.

Agreed. As worthy a cause as it is, cooking for Comic Relief is nothing compared to some of the previous prizes. The only real reason for chefs to go on now is to promote their restaurants. Worked for Tom Kerridge.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 744
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Were we really arguing about raw fish?

I find it a tad weird that a show based on indulgence, gluttony etc is using a charity based on helping the world's poorest for a series. That's just me being picky.

But overall, I didn't enjoy last week. One of them went through without actually cooking to brief, the one who really did cook to brief got left behind. It felt like Richard had already decided before the show started who he was putting through. The judges were hugely annoying - they're just getting more pretentious with every series.

It needs a drastic shake up, the format. It was at it's best when they cooked at the Gherkin. I'd love to see another series like that.

Having said that, I'm very excited to see what Chris Fearn produces in the Ireland heat - he's always been bang on when it comes to the brief. The humour element this year seems to be perfect for him.
  • RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    I find it a tad weird that a show based on indulgence, gluttony etc is using a charity based on helping the world's poorest for a series. That's just me being picky.
    But you could equally argue that raising money by sitting watching TV for a whole evening is a tad wierd when the peope you are helping are living rough on the streets without a TV, or have no electricity in their village in Africa, or are too tited from walking 50 miles for water to sit down on a comfy sofa and laugh at newsreaders.

You could also say that raising money for starving villages in Africa by sitting in, and therefore wasting, an entire bath of beans is also a tad wierd.
  • poshnoshposhnosh Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    rumtruffle wrote: »
    Were we really arguing about raw fish?

But overall, I didn't enjoy last week. One of them went through without actually cooking to brief, the one who really did cook to brief got left behind. It felt like Richard had already decided before the show started who he was putting through. The judges were hugely annoying - they're just getting more pretentious with every series.

It needs a drastic shake up, the format. It was at it's best when they cooked at the Gherkin. I'd love to see another series like that.

Having said that, I'm very excited to see what Chris Fearn produces in the Ireland heat - he's always been bang on when it comes to the brief. The humour element this year seems to be perfect for him.

microspheres of Sennakot in the starter, a laxative liquorish flavoured jus with the main and syrup of fig steamed pudding for dessert would bring a sense of humour - albeit the schoolboy kind.

Well, it would make me laugh, especially if it took effect on Oliver just as he was about to pronounce the judges final decision:)
    Forum Member
    The spotlight is on Scotland. Returning contenders Michael Smith, Tony Singh and Mark Greenaway are all determined to get one of their dishes to the banquet. Will a witty take on spiced ham score highly, or will a warm chicken salad with a twist or a rabbit terrine come out on top?

Veteran judge Angela Hartnett MBE will be judging all week.
  • jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spam, that's a big a reference to British comedy as you can name...
    Forum Member
    Ah, but it's the BBC so it's the mystery spiced ham meat product in a square tin that can't be named. Monty Python must have had special dispensation :D
    Forum Member
    They must have relaxed the rules. The voiceover has mentioed they infamous SPAM
    Forum Member
    I think you can safely say that Tony has gone all out down the spam route :D
    Forum Member
    Tony's 'spam' loosed very loose. I little too much like cat/dog food :eek:
    I wonder how much the presentation helped him as the marking was strict tonight
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 54
    Forum Member
    Blimey, Angela laying the smackdown on the chefs.

Thought Micheals looked a good dish.
  • squadgesquadge Posts: 1,575
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    i absolutely LOVED Tony's hamming it up. Hilarious and you know it's better than your normal pub grub. Yes it is a banquet but it is comic relief, alot of them will be a bit hammered, and I do think that this banquet should be about presentation (along with good food). Go Tony!!
  • Clarkie66Clarkie66 Posts: 5,890
    Forum Member
    I think the atmosphere this week has been much nicer with less nastiness between the chefs and I quite like the fact that Angela's marking is strict as long as she is fair. Michael is lovely and I hope he wins the week.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 160
    Forum Member
    I was looking forward to seeing if Alan was returning to the competition, as I thought he probably can´t be arsed anymore, he was extremely unlucky last year and in the end there´s a point in which you have to stop.
    Forum Member
    Don't think Mark has done anything outstanding.

I liked Tony's. You usually go out for a meal to have food cooked but for this type of thing I think it would suit.
    If they're worried they could have a waiter for each table to overlook.

Stange about the last one with Mark not wanting to eat the egg. You'd think a fellow chef would give it a try.