Ridley Scott's Robin Hood

Comments

• AcornatiAcornati Posts: 606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I found it a bit long and slow too, really struggled to keep my attention focused at times. The accents were a bit all over the place (esp the welsh one!), but then I guess they would have been different back then anyway. Meh, it was ok but I sure as hell wouldn't sit through it again!
  • Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It wasnt bad. And better than I had expected. If you ignore the historical accuracy of the story, I think it was pretty decent. It held me attention for the 2 and a bit hours. I'd probably watch it again. 7/10
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    OK so I haven't seen the film, but from the clips I've heard the accent is spot on.

I am from Nottinghamshire and ventured to say that his accent was somewhere between Nottingham and Yorkshire based, and later found out that that is what he was aiming for.

People who are saying his accent is terrible have obviously never been to Notts, it may not be PERFECT but it was pretty good from what I've heard.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OK so I haven't seen the film, but from the clips I've heard the accent is spot on

In the trailer maybe, but there was one part of the film where he very clearly sounded like he was doing a scouse accent.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 451
    Forum Member
    In the trailer maybe, but there was one part of the film where he very clearly sounded like he was doing a scouse accent.

I have seen a few trailers and numerous clips.

I will reserve final judgement until I see the film... but from what I've heard the accent is spot on.

People who have never been to or heard a Nottinghamshire accent really can't say it sounds bad if you ask me. He obviously had a voice coach and trained to sound like that so I doubt its wrong.

What's annoying is these critics saying his accent is dodgy have probably never been above London in their lives and don't actually know how people speak in Notts.

But again, I haven't seen the film
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 443
    Forum Member
    I saw this last night. I didn't go in with high expectations and was expecting to hear one of the worst accents in the world (Don Cheadle still hold the title for me).

I actually kinda liked it. Yes it was kinda slow but I didn't mind. And yes some of the accents were a bit hit and miss, where was Scott Grimes/Will Scarlett meant to be from?!

But I didn't think Russel's accent was that bad. I would have guessed it at being yorkshire-ish, kinda midlands-y. Being from Nottingham myself it wasn't half bad. I've heard worst (Paul Nichols in the BBC drama a while back)

All in all, I'd probably give it 7/10.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,304
    Forum Member
    Perhaps he's being doing the voice of one of those Notts pensioners who do excursions to Merseyside and Scotland on their free bus passes, eh? ;):p Ye olde sheriffe of Nottingham was a big proponent of them, allegedly.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Russell Crowe snaps over "Irish" Robin Hood accent
    Story:http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20100514/od_nm/us_crowe

Here's the trailer, for those of us who have not seen it.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aMcDeNo6KUs

I didn't really notice an unusual accent in the trailer, but it's hard to notice the difference in British/Irish/Scottish accents if you are not used to them.
  • MrGiles2MrGiles2 Posts: 1,997
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went to the 12 noon show at Cineworld in Middlesbrough.

Its an alright film, no where near as good as Gladiator though. And yes, I did recognise the same forest where Gladiator battle scenes were filmed.

It is very disjointed though, possibly owing to the fact that it was heavily cut. One minute Crowe is in one scene, the next somewhere else in a blink of an eye. This was noticeable during the final battle scenes on the beach.

Still, it did have its moments. Seems a sequel is in the pipeline.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,459
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    After reading this, it's seems like you're better off waiting for and buying the Director's Cut on Blu-Ray.
  • jaimeswjaimesw Posts: 1,608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    5/10

Boring and long

Nuff said!
  • BuddyBontheNetBuddyBontheNet Posts: 28,157
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hasn't Robin Hood been done to death?...

That's exactly why I won't be going to see it - it is a film that didn't need to be made.
  • ritchritch Posts: 2,566
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw this film tonight. I think whether you like it or not depends on what you are expecting. If you want action and merry men doing classic Robin Hood stuff it will be a disappointment. If you want a realistic portrayal of the story it might capture your attention more.

I thought it did pretty well in setting the scene, the acting was seemed subdued but I think that was the intention, rather than over playing it they went for a more dramatic and gritty tone, which might appear dull to some people. I can understand why a lot of people found it boring because some scenes did drag out but that did enable a sense of closeness between characters.

The romance came across a bit awkward bit I felt that was the intention as well, Maid Marion was played as a strong woman who seemed difficult to gain trust from, so that stuff seemed downplayed a bit which I felt was a good move. There was a war going on so less time on that made it more realistic and if there is a sequel they could develop on that more. In fact I could imagine a sequel being very interesting, going by how this film ended.

It did have a few problems though, I felt some parts of the story didn’t flow that well because some scenes went on a little to long, you kind of lost the thread a bit then all of a sudden there would be fighting. You had to pay attention a little otherwise you would lose track of who was doing what. I also found the shaky camera in the fight scenes annoying as well, I don’t get why they do that, you just cant see what’s going on. I also agree with a point on here about them not fully utilising the merry men, I thought they were played surprisingly well and offered good comic relief without coming across to silly.

Anyway it’s a different take on Robin Hood, a more serious portrayal that doesn’t really mimic other versions, so I wouldn’t say it didn’t need to be made. I’d defiantly be interested in seeing a sequel, Scott’s take on this has got more mileage, another one has got some interesting directions to go in.
  • stoatiestoatie Posts: 78,106
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lynxmale wrote: »
    See if you can find the (Front Row?) radio 4 interview with Crowe the other day... the interviewer asked about a bit of Irish in his accent and Russell said his ears were out of whack and continued to bubble over with "boll**ks" etc. Funny, but pitiful at the same time... how old is he?

Oh, I heard that- it was hilarious! What a dick!

The funniest bit being that they followed it with a clip from the film, and... there's DEFINITELY some Irish in there, but... I don't think anyone's ever spoken QUITE like that in the history of anything ever. I'm not sure I could cope with it for a whole movie. It was like Dick van Dyke Goes Rustic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Crowe does a good enough job, at least he gave the accent a try, how about Kevin Costner’s attempt? The way he talks doesn’t effect the film unless your really picky about it, he plays it low key so its not like he is shouting all the time.

plus when you been working on a film for months your likely to get a little sensitive if the first thing someone points out in an interview is a precieved fault. I dont get why people think Crowe is a dick cause of that, he felt insulted and left, big deal. better than all these sappy celebs licking arse to stay in the limelight :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have no problem admitting I really enjoyed 'Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves' and I'd still watch it again if it was on TV!

I know it was made in 1991, but it still seems like a recent-ish film to me, which is partly why I can't be bothered to see the Ridley Scott film. BTW I didn't care what accent Kevin Costner had - the story of Robin Hood is just a good romp!:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed Prince of Thieves as well, its just a different take on it. My point was the accents don’t take away for either films really, Costner’s American accent didn’t bother me, neither did Crowes, English, Scottish, irish, austrailian accent!

This one is much more serious but it has its good points. I just think it might have benefited for better editing to make it flow better but all it all it’s a decent film, really sets the scene visually. People seem really harsh about the length and slow pace which I don’t blame them for to be honest but I personally don’t mind slower films.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ritch wrote: »
    I enjoyed Prince of Thieves as well, its just a different take on it. My point was the accents don’t take away for either films really, Costner’s American accent didn’t bother me, neither did Crowes, English, Scottish, irish, austrailian accent!

This one is much more serious but it has its good points. I just think it might have benefited for better editing to make it flow better but all it all it’s a decent film, really sets the scene visually. People seem really harsh about the length and slow pace which I don’t blame them for to be honest but I personally don’t mind slower films.

I do understand and agree. TBH my measure of whether or not a long film is a good film is whether or not my backside starts to hurt - if it doesn't, then it is a good film no matter how slow it is because it kept my attention.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I do understand and agree. TBH my measure of whether or not a long film is a good film is whether or not my backside starts to hurt - if it doesn't, then it is a good film no matter how slow it is because it kept my attention.

Lol your backside would hurt with this film as it does have a few not much going on gaps plus its real long for cinema. On reflection I wouldn’t have watched it in a normal cinema if I had a choice, deluxe would be ok as you could get a little more comfortable. I probably would have waited for this to come out on dvd if someone didn’t drag me along, I hate cinemas!
  • sarahcssarahcs Posts: 8,734
    Forum Member
    I saw this today and I actually quite enjoyed it! His accent's not the best but it's hardly Dick Van Dyke. He speaks so quietly you can barely pick out an accent anyway. I quite liked the film and thought it was an interesting take on the legend.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sarahcs wrote: »
    I saw this today and I actually quite enjoyed it! His accent's not the best but it's hardly Dick Van Dyke. He speaks so quietly you can barely pick out an accent anyway. I quite liked the film and thought it was an interesting take on the legend.

Agreed. He didnt play the role broad enough for the accent to notice too much. It was by no means perfect but no where near bad enough to ruin the film :confused:
  • OnexOneOnexOne Posts: 3,816
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crowe's accent was fine! it was the merry men's thats was well out of sorts! are they from ireland?
  • Octopus_PrimeOctopus_Prime Posts: 851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I really liked it , I didn't find it boring or too long.

I think people don't like it because it wasn't the story they were expecting, as the trailers pretty much made it out to all the story in one film.........It was original, and in that I hope they follow it just as well.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,440
    Forum Member
    I don't mind it being long it's the lack of direction tha I struggled with. If didn't appear to know where it was going and what it was supposed to be. It wasn't an action film as there wasn't enough of that to give it that label. Equally it wasn't a love story. You didn't really see the relationship between Robin and Marion develop.

I think it doesn't help that it's called Robin Hood. He didn't really become Robin of the Hood until after the events of this film. It would be like making a film called Spiderman and just doing a film about Peter Parker and say well Spiderman happens after this film finishes.

What was the point of the Merry Men in this film? What did they do and actually contribute to the story? Did you feel they they had a close relationship and thought of each others as "brothers" and would lay their lives down for each other? I didn't. Of all the Merry Men the only one that got any decent characterisation was Friar Tuck. The rest could have just been anybody or even not used at all in the film. If there is to be a sequel you could just have easily introduced them in that film and base it around Robin now an outlaw and building up his gang.
    Hed the characterisation been better it would have made the slower parts of the film more interesting and made it flowed better.

IMO the lack of direction for the film, a weak plot and poor characterisation are a bigger problem than the pacing and length of the film.
  • GARETH197901GARETH197901 Posts: 22,291
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ah well got my free tickets out of the paper today,if its boring at least ive not paid anything to see it:D